[1.11.x] Snarkiverse v1.2: Rearrange the solar system for challenge & variety.

Snark

This looks absolutely amazing. I don’t play with planet packs because I don’t like change, but I think I’ll have to give this a try. It keeps just enough stuff the same but makes things so much more awe worthy.

@Snark, very intriguing re-arrangement indeed.  Please forgive my ignorance, but could you tell me what configs you used with SVE and Scatterer to get the screenshots in the OP?  I have my Kerbin looking like yours with the clouds, but your Duna atmospherics look gorgeous and I can't seem to replicate.

24 minutes ago, Raptor9 said:

Please forgive my ignorance, but could you tell me what configs you used with SVE and Scatterer to get the screenshots in the OP?

It's the absolutely vanilla install of those mods.  Just install them exactly as you would for a pure-stock solar system.

It works because those mods just care about which body they're tweaking-- they don't care where that body actually is.  So the default configs work just fine.  Just follow the instructions, I haven't done anything whatsoever with those mods other than just install them.

26 minutes ago, Raptor9 said:

your Duna atmospherics look gorgeous and I can't seem to replicate

Hmm, maybe it's just camera angle and lighting in the particular screenshot?

1 minute ago, Snark said:

So the default configs work just fine.  Just follow the instructions, I haven't done anything whatsoever with those mods other than just install them.

Ok, I'll remove the mod folders, re-download fresh copies, and re-install just to be sure.  Thanks. :)

This is just amazing - and just what I was looking for. 
After casually playing KSP for a few years, I shook it up a bit with GPP (that's gorgeous too!) but found my PC couldn't keep up.

Sometimes the simplest changes are the best thing to do.  Thanks for making this!

26 minutes ago, Black-Two- said:

Gah, why is Spacedock down!? I want to try this mod...

Meh, it happens from time to time.  Spacedock is a hobby project run by volunteers, so it's not as sturdy as a website with commercial $$$ behind it.

If you don't feel like waiting for Spacedock to come back up, you could always download it directly from github, per the link in the OP.  Here's the latest version as of this writing:

https://github.com/KSPSnark/Snarkiverse/blob/master/release/Snarkiverse-1.1.zip

Github is always up.  :)

@Snark

1) Love this mod! Makes the Kerbal System a little more interesting!

2) Is there a way to tilt the planets axis in relation to the Solar System's general axis (ie Earth is tilted at 23 degrees)?

Edited by GDJ

37 minutes ago, GDJ said:

Is there a way to tilt the planets axis in relation to the Solar System's general axis (ie Earth is tilted at 23 degrees)?

Nope.  Cannot be done.  Period, full stop.  Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.  Absolute and utter physical impossibility.

Why?  Because zero-degree axial tilt is baked into KSP, hard-coded at the most basic level of the game.  In a way that's so iron-clad that not only is it utterly impossible for any mod to enable that, but not even the Squad devs can do it because apparently it's so completely joined-at-the-hip to the fundamental guts of the game that they'd basically have to rewrite the entire game to enable it.

Yeah, I know, my jaw kinda dropped open when I heard that one, too.  It seems... rather a silly limitation to bake into a game that's supposed to allow having planets and such.  This is just about the only thing in KSP that I've ever really caviled at-- seems like they seriously goofed that one.  Oh well.

Anyway, no.  No celestial body in KSP can have any axial tilt whatsoever, ever, under any circumstances.

The closest I've seen any mod come to trying to simulate that is New Horizons.  It's designed so that every planet has a roughly 20-degree (or something like that) orbital inclination; i.e. all the planets are orbiting in the same plane, and that plane is inclined relative to the sun's equator.  Thus, the fact that all the planets have zero axial tilt relative to the Sun's equator means that their inclined orbits give them, in effect, an axial tilt relative to their own orbit.  All by the same amount and in the same direction, of course.

Anyway, yeah.  That's a thing that's impossible to have.  I think it was clever of KillAshley to do that orbital-inclination thing in New Horizons, and I've enjoyed working with that when playing with that mod.  However, I'm not... inclined... (sorry, couldn't resist) to do that in this mod.

5 minutes ago, Snark said:

Nope.  Cannot be done.  Period, full stop.  Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.  Absolute and utter physical impossibility.

..........However, I'm not... inclined... (sorry, couldn't resist) to do that in this mod.

*groan* :D

Oh well. I was just curious. 

2 hours ago, The Minmus Derp said:

@GDJ, you can axially tilt gas giants using EVE clouds.

Didn't know that. It's not a big deal for me to have axial tilt, but thanks for the tip!

6 minutes ago, The Minmus Derp said:

That's how OPM-VO make urlum be on it's side.

It doesnt actually tilt the planets though. It can only tilt the clouds. The only mod that can tilt planets(to my knowledge) is Principia

On 5/28/2018 at 9:57 AM, JAFO said:

I have this insane urge to attempt a Caveman Challenge in the Snarkiverse! :D

That is an insanely good idea. I'm in. I think I'm going to continue afterward as well in my "little brother" challenge for it, Caveman Evolved.

Edited by 5thHorseman

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.