Snark

[1.7.x] Snarkiverse v1.2: Rearrange the solar system for challenge & variety.

Recommended Posts

I decided to give this mod a run, and it looks like a lot of fun. However, I'm a little concerned about the orbit of the Mun. Will I still be able to put up stationary satellites without them being pulled by the Mun sphere of influence? What would be the safe altitudes for constellations? I'd math it out, but my math skills are not quite good enough :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tivec said:

I decided to give this mod a run, and it looks like a lot of fun. However, I'm a little concerned about the orbit of the Mun. Will I still be able to put up stationary satellites without them being pulled by the Mun sphere of influence? What would be the safe altitudes for constellations? I'd math it out, but my math skills are not quite good enough :P

Geosynchronous and geostationary orbits are absolutely possible, since the Mun orbits Kerbin exactly once every two Kerbin days.  It's just that there are certain Kerbin longitudes where you can't park a synchronous satellite because the Mun will hit it as it sweeps past periapsis.  I've never bothered to work out exactly what range of longitude is the "forbidden zone", but you can see it pretty clearly if you just watch the Mun as it passes through periapsis.  As long as your satellite isn't too close to that, you should be fine.  In particular, the Mun sweeps across KSC's eastern sky at periapsis, so if you park a satellite in KSC's western sky, I expect you'll be okay.

As for other "safe" altitudes for satellites:  it's pretty simple arithmetic to work out the range of altitudes.  Take the Mun's periapsis altitude, subtract its SoI radius, and anything under that will be safe.  Similarly, if you add the Mun's SoI radius to its periapsis altitde, anything above that will be safe.

You can also pretty easily make a safe orbit that spans the Mun's periapsis altitude, if you make it eccentric.  Set it up so that your satellite is orbiting in a plane roughly perpendicular to the Mun's, and with the Pe and Ap located such that the satellite's orbit and the Mun's are like two oval links in a chain (i.e. the satellite's Ap is above the mun's Pe, and vice versa.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Snark said:

Geosynchronous and geostationary orbits are absolutely possible, since the Mun orbits Kerbin exactly once every two Kerbin days.  It's just that there are certain Kerbin longitudes where you can't park a synchronous satellite because the Mun will hit it as it sweeps past periapsis.  I've never bothered to work out exactly what range of longitude is the "forbidden zone", but you can see it pretty clearly if you just watch the Mun as it passes through periapsis.  As long as your satellite isn't too close to that, you should be fine.  In particular, the Mun sweeps across KSC's eastern sky at periapsis, so if you park a satellite in KSC's western sky, I expect you'll be okay.

As for other "safe" altitudes for satellites:  it's pretty simple arithmetic to work out the range of altitudes.  Take the Mun's periapsis altitude, subtract its SoI radius, and anything under that will be safe.  Similarly, if you add the Mun's SoI radius to its periapsis altitde, anything above that will be safe.

You can also pretty easily make a safe orbit that spans the Mun's periapsis altitude, if you make it eccentric.  Set it up so that your satellite is orbiting in a plane roughly perpendicular to the Mun's, and with the Pe and Ap located such that the satellite's orbit and the Mun's are like two oval links in a chain (i.e. the satellite's Ap is above the mun's Pe, and vice versa.

 

Thank you for the tips. I don’t have the game up and running but i suspect I have to figure out the altitude of the Mun as it passes through the equatorial plane of Kerbin. It should be doable. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tivec said:

Thank you for the tips. I don’t have the game up and running but i suspect I have to figure out the altitude of the Mun as it passes through the equatorial plane of Kerbin. It should be doable. :)

Place your sats when the Mun is there ;) if they’re safe then, they’re safe always. (In keosync anyway)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.