6 hours of creating an space station

Luc1fer

1 hour ago, Luc1fer said:

Well i doubt in real life that happens literally in 1 sec, and also spaguetti station doesn't happen :D

I  suppose there are aero engineers here to correct me, but exceeding "velocity not to exceed" is a good way to get your aircraft to shake itself (flutter) to death in a second (I don't think it is modeled in either KSP or Ferrum).

1 hour ago, Luc1fer said:

Well i doubt in real life that happens literally in 1 sec, and also spaguetti station doesn't happen :D

I  suppose there are aero engineers here to correct me, but exceeding "velocity not to exceed" is a good way to get your aircraft to shake itself (flutter) to death in a second (I don't think it is modeled in either KSP or Ferrum).

Others have probably said this, but the kraken has been remedied over the past years. (It is more of a unity issue than KSP however) Squad introduced rigid attachment and autostrut. Since those were released I haven’t encountered any shaky ness ever.

21 hours ago, Luc1fer said:

RCS was off (i only use it to re orientate the station)

SAS was ON

I’m using autostrunts with root on heaviest part

Try it with SAS OFF

My KSS got this problem too long ago, since i switch SAS off the Station dont explode.

The problem was that SAS tried to stabilize the Space Station but the stabilization goes to a resonance swinging 

SAS tried to stopp it and give full power to the reaction wheels, it swinged more and more until it blows up.

Hint:

When a Spaceship begings to make weird stuff (wobble...) then press the timewarp button to stop it(not physics warp).

23 hours ago, Luc1fer said:

BTW while i was writting this i found that the ''kraken'' is not fixed after more than 2 years, what type of serious company can't fix a freaking bug in 2 years (or more)?

Squad. But it should be noted they're nothing like alone in this.

The "kraken" is a community term for a whole diversity of bugs that only really have in common that they tend to have something to do with the limitations of the physics model. They may or may not actually have anything to do with each other, and fixing even one slight kraken bug would probably mean code-changing levels of fixing, each change potentially bring a raft of new problems.

So we're stuck with it. Kraken, it turns out, is an apt name - like the mariners of old, we navigate its territory never knowing when it may be about to strike, utterly powerless in the face of its awesome presence...

P.S. glad u fixed ur station :D

Edited by The_Rocketeer

This is why I use a single reaction wheel package on a station. Newly delivered modules either rely on a tug to provide pointing (and RCS), or have a pair of fairly small surface mounted wheels that I use KIS to remove shortly after docking. Same with any RCS quads and monopropellant bottles used for docking. It seems to work quite well so far.

17 hours ago, MaverickSawyer said:

This is why I use a single reaction wheel package on a station. Newly delivered modules either rely on a tug to provide pointing (and RCS), or have a pair of fairly small surface mounted wheels that I use KIS to remove shortly after docking. Same with any RCS quads and monopropellant bottles used for docking. It seems to work quite well so far.

On 5/18/2018 at 10:03 PM, The_Rocketeer said:

Squad. But it should be noted they're nothing like alone in this.

The "kraken" is a community term for a whole diversity of bugs that only really have in common that they tend to have something to do with the limitations of the physics model. They may or may not actually have anything to do with each other, and fixing even one slight kraken bug would probably mean code-changing levels of fixing, each change potentially bring a raft of new problems.

So we're stuck with it. Kraken, it turns out, is an apt name - like the mariners of old, we navigate its territory never knowing when it may be about to strike, utterly powerless in the face of its awesome presence...

P.S. glad u fixed ur station :D

On 5/18/2018 at 8:10 PM, SwissSpace93 said:

Try it with SAS OFF

My KSS got this problem too long ago, since i switch SAS off the Station dont explode.

The problem was that SAS tried to stabilize the Space Station but the stabilization goes to a resonance swinging 

SAS tried to stopp it and give full power to the reaction wheels, it swinged more and more until it blows up.

Hint:

When a Spaceship begings to make weird stuff (wobble...) then press the timewarp button to stop it(not physics warp).

On 5/18/2018 at 6:57 PM, Not Sure said:

Others have probably said this, but the kraken has been remedied over the past years. (It is more of a unity issue than KSP however) Squad introduced rigid attachment and autostrut. Since those were released I haven’t encountered any shaky ness ever.

On 5/18/2018 at 6:30 PM, wumpus said:

On 5/18/2018 at 6:23 PM, Lo Var Lachland said:

I love stock revamp. :D

After your help I’m building the station bigger!

Now i added some more living space to the station!

before i tested if such big module would destroy de station with a shuttle, that docked perfectly!

weA2dI7.jpg

then i added the module!

i broke 4 solar panels, so i will send some ingeneer to fix it, but the module worked perfectly!

9u63YLU.jpg

EDIT!: can solar panel be repaired ???

EDIT2:

Here is the final station, full functional :D, now with 4 manned scape vessels, with space for 12 kerbals to evacuate! (right side)

Z8hfKDS.jpg

Edited by Luc1fer

• 2 weeks later...

If you're not adverse to using gameplay changing/enhancing mods, then I would recommend KIS/KAS. They allow kerbals to attach and detach parts on EVA, including struts (which can be really useful for strengthening space stations).

Nice station, BTW :D

Edited by RealKerbal3x

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.