Remember Harvest? Probably Not. This is the time to spice up Dres

Before i Get into it i know damn well that this will won't happen. We were suggesting a second gas planet (which is so much more interesting than this) for years and nothing came. No planet we ever suggested came into place. The Last new planet was Eeloo in 0.18, which is a version i have never heard of (have 2k+ hours in ksp and watch regular ksp vids) So the probability of this happening is pretty much zero. Although i could imagine it as a mod

So Harvest, This Planet was meant to be real on the Orbit of Dres by one of the Devs (Nova Silisko, Who was truely ahead of his time). Now, Aside the Jokes Dres is the sole representation of absolute boredom, it is so boring that even squad memed it with us a lot of times. To be fair Squad tried to improve Dres with Dresteroids but you can get that from kerbin for a lot less dV and you cant tell the differance (They are not even brown :((((( ) So what about either Making Harvest Binary orbit with Dres, Or a smaller moon. A New planet / moon would Boost Anything. New Moon for Jool? Everyone will go there. New Planet After Eeloo? Nobody cares how far it is we will visit it. So a New Planet/Moon for Dres would solve dres being boring and give new content. But as i said, i am well aware that squad won't do this, and not even the modders, just an idea to think about (i mean i wouldnt mind this being finally a content in the game if ya know what i mean ;)

A new planet won't fix boredom in this game. You will go there once and that's it. If you want to make space more interesting adding more planets isn't the solution.

Don't get me wrong. A new planet would be cool but IIRC there are problems with memory or something. If you want the game to become less boring things like career mode and science/exploration need fixing first.

Edited by Wjolcz

14 minutes ago, Wjolcz said:

A new planet won't fix boredom in this game. You will go there once and that's it. If you want to make space more interesting adding more planets isn't the solution.

Don't get me wrong. A new planet would be cool but IIRC there are problems with memory or something. If you want the game to become less boring things like career mode and science/exploration need fixing first.

Yep. Having an actual reason to land on planets other than planting flags and pressing a "do science" button is not conducive to replayability.

18 minutes ago, blorgon said:

Yep. Having an actual reason to land on planets other than planting flags and pressing a "do science" button is not conducive to replayability.

33 minutes ago, Wjolcz said:

not like its gonna be added
It would have been cool to have a planet which was waiting to become one for years

I never understood why Dres is considered boring.

Sure it is. But so are Eeloo, Pol, Bop, Ike and some other desolate rocks out there.
So why of all things Dres?

Adding another boring rock wouldn't solve anything.

In the beginning, there was Kerbin (And the myterious light source). This light source became The Sun. Then there was the Mun in 0.12. Many players ventured to it and back. Then there was Minmus, the newest moon of Kerbin in 0.15. Players flocked to it and its minty-green low gravityness. Suddenly, in 0.17, many new planets were added. There was Moho, the innermost, hottest planet. There was also the (Mostly) inescapable Eve and its asteroid moon, Gilly. Beyond Kerbin, there was Duna and Ike, the first planet many players visit after exploring Kerbin. Next in line was Jool and its 4 moons. After this in 0.18, there was the addition of Pol and later Eeloo, the furthest planet. And then there was Dres. Dres was in a bad situation. It wasn't in a hard-to-reach spot like Moho and Eeloo. It didn't have absurdly low gravity, like Gilly. It didn't have absurdly high gravity like Tylo or Ike. It didn't have weird pyramid creepy things like Pol. It didn't have real moons. It wasn't a moon. It was unremarkable. Unremarkably grey. The only redeeming factor is that it has an asteroid belt, making it a good spot for hunting Magic Boulders, but not much else. Sure, you can make an asteroid base, but you can do a much more convenient (in making and using) asteroid base at Kerbin.

And that's why- Wait. What planet are we talking about again?

I love Dres.  I'm sure a lot of people only consider it boring because they were told it was boring before they went there.  How many people have just never gone because "everyone knows" it's boring?

Adding another rock to visit isn't going to solve the problem of "there's nothing to do on all these rocks."

Adding more planets is a temporary band-aid to the issue and doesn't actually solve anything.

If we want more substance in KSP, we need to start asking for more substance. More planets is not more substance. As it is currently, KSP is a mile wide and an inch deep. Adding more planets just makes it 2 miles wide.

Edited by Greenfire32

On 5/18/2018 at 4:09 AM, Artienia said:

This Planet was meant to be real on the Orbit of Dres

False - it was intended for one of Kerbin's lagrange points - L4 or L5. Its texture later evolved into Tylo (old Tylo - the current one no longer has such a lineage)

Edited by NovaSilisko

1 hour ago, Geonovast said:

I love Dres.  I'm sure a lot of people only consider it boring because they were told it was boring before they went there.  How many people have just never gone because "everyone knows" it's boring?

It has been a while since I've been to Dres, (tbh it's been a while since I've left the Kerbin SOI, mostly due to lack of time than anything else), but yes I also like Dres. Why? That canyon. That massive (somewhat spooky) pit that I completely failed to Evel-Knievel over. It's a great feature and, if you've ever tried to land a craft inside it, one of the few places that offers a long descent below the planet's surface.  Mun's canyon tis but a scratch compared to it, but still is a notable feature, as it encourages you to do daft things like jump rovers over it or fly through it at almost orbital speeds.

That's what we need. Not more planets, more stuff on planets.  Mun has more terrain features and easter eggs and that's what makes Mun a great repeat destination.   But a lot of the other planets are very homogeneous and one landing site is like any other. Duna used to be a fav destination for me, but then they attacked it with a steam roller and took all the interesting features out, a sad day for Dunians. 

We need geographical features that add interest and challenges; places where it's almost impossible to land (without some cunning designs), places that are hell to all but the most ruggedly designed rovers, places that make you think...hmmm, Imma jump over that or hey, a bridge would look real nice here, more mountains (of the sort that threaten low orbiting craft or awake your inner Edmund Hillary), some caves etc.
Basically, I think the terrain is too tame, the only real challenge it presents is how fast you approach it when landing. We don't need more planets, we need more detail on the existing planets.

23 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

Does it distract your view of Venus?

No, but Duna obscures my view of Dres on occasion... which is why I was thinking of obliterating it with my death ray, Duna that is. ;)

Personally I found Dres a decent challenge. It's harder to get to than Duna, has lots of new asteroids to discover (as of recently), and being the dark bleak world it is, it presents a nice challenge in trying to rover to its anomaly.

Edited by LordFerret

2 hours ago, LordFerret said:

Personally I found Dres a decent challenge. It's harder to get to than Duna, has lots of new asteroids to discover (as of recently), and being the dark bleak world it is, it presents a nice challenge in trying to rover to its anomaly.

I agree. I actually like sending probes and crews to Dres. But then again, I like sending Kermen everywhere... :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.