[1.12.3] [Kopernicus] Alien Space Programs Re-Visited, v1.12.0 [07-MAR-2022]

Gordon Fecyk

First on Page 3 :D

@Gordon Fecyk  just for you to notice.

Is it compatible with Kerbalkonstructs? If yes, will the additional buildings work?

Is the KSC2 present?

When you (for example) place the KSC on Tylo, why you make Tylo's internal name "Kerbin" and Kerbin's internal name "Bin" instead of swapping Tylo and Kerbin's internal names? The contracts can disappear if a celestial nody stopped existing, as you said.

What visual mods are you using in the screenshots?

Will there be other language support?

The "dictionary" file certainly needs some changes. The idea of Kerbals living underground is terrible, especially on Laythe.

The island on Laythe made for the Dessert Launch Site looks too artificial, too round, too high or too small.

Edited by Gapone

5 hours ago, Gapone said:

First on Page 3 :D

just for you to notice.

Gapone, thanks for answering.

Here's what I know on your questions:

Kerbal Konstructs works. It appears its objects are saved per-save and not per-game, so you shouldn't end up with Duna-built launch pads on Kerbin if you switch home worlds and you switch saves. I haven't tried loading the same save between different home worlds, but I suspect placed objects would also move in this case.

I removed KSC2 just to keep uninhabited Kerbin free of kerbal artifacts. It also doesn't appear on any other home world setting. I've looked at adding it, but it looks way out of place anywhere but on Kerbin. I've thought about adding it to uninhabited Kerbin, but I want to make sure that it doesn't become a ground station for CommNet, as this would add a free signal relay there. Same goes for other artifacts. The KSC peninsula is there though, so you can build a KSC out of stock parts or Kerbal Konstructs if you want. There's even a challenge in the homeworldsetting.cfg to take on.

That's Stock Visual Enhancements along with its dependencies. I have patches in ASP 1.5.1 to adapt SVE, SciFi VE, plain Scatterer and others to this mod.

There's a dictionary_en-us.cfg in 0Miscelany. I don't have the skill to translate and Google Translate would just be an insult to those players, but nothing stops anyone from creating one for any supported language. Ditto for the descriptions for home world Laythe.

(I think part of GregroxMun's back story for homeworld Laythe was that life would have a really tough time on Laythe's surface, with the high salt content, much cooler temperatures just a few metres above sea level, and apparently non-organic source of oxygen. It was poisonous to early microscopic life on Earth so perhaps this was the case for early Laythe life. Of course you can make up any story you want, such as Laythe being a colony world for other air-breathing visitors.)

I don't have Making History to check the other launch sites. Besides, there's no Minmus to launch for at Laythe so it doesn't really make sense. I'm surprised the DLC launch sites even show up; it would look very artificial indeed since Laythe's surface is much darker than Kerbin's yellow sands.

I am working on a 1.6.1 version today. I hope to fix the frame rate issues I ran into, and I'm just going to have to buy the DLC for more tests.

4 hours ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

there's no Minmus to launch for at Laythe so it doesn't really make sense

What Minmus? I did not mentonied Minmus.

I'm surprised the DLC launch sites even show up

I'm running LSP and Woomerang ended up on an island !

The Dessert Launch Complex is not too far away from KSC, southeast of it, in 4 minutes of flight in Ravenspear Mk3, or in 16 minutes of flight in Mallard.

but it looks way out of place anywhere but on Kerbin

it looks out of place even on kerbin, but please put it somewhere

Edited by Gapone

Just now, Gapone said:

What Minmus? I did not mentioned Minmus.

My understanding is launching at the 'Dessert' site would put you on a six degree inclination, so you could launch for Minmus without needing a plane change provided you timed the launch right. And there's the whole thing about Minmus being made of mint ice cream or some such, hence 'dessert' and not 'desert.'

Such a site wouldn't make sense on Laythe because it doesn't have a moon at a six degree inclination to launch for. Maybe it could make sense on Eve, but Gilly's inclination is at twelve degrees and not six. I just hope it isn't in a 2 km hole like the island airfield was in 1.3.1.

On 1/13/2019 at 5:55 PM, Gordon Fecyk said:

aunching at the 'Dessert' site would put you on a six degree inclination, so you could launch for Minmus without needing a plane change provided you timed the launch right

It's also a wind turbine site, and it looks like a military base in some way.

There is no island airfield, maybe because it's hard-coded as a structure on Kerbin.

Edited by Gapone

The 'About Damned Time' Update

While ASP 1.5.1 worked on KSP 1.6 with matching versions of Kopernicus, I wanted to adapt this for some recent Kopernicus changes. The Alien Space Programs 1.6.1 release is the result of that adaptation. And while I have frame rate problems with 100+ part craft on home worlds without oceans, and more frame rate problems on worlds with oceans using Scatterer, I decided to release this and see what you all think.

I managed to put back some of uninhabited Kerbin's artifacts. Some models work where others don't, and I think it's just a matter of figuring out the model names the stock game uses.

I have two major problems with this release that I'm stumped on:

• The aforementioned frame rate problems. Frame rate drops dramatically on my Core i7 i4770 and GTX 1080 based system when I launch a 100+ part craft on Dres, Duna, Restored Duna, Minmus, Jool and Tylo. This doesn't happen on Kerbin, Eve or Laythe; worlds with oceans. This is without any visual add-ons.
  • Even stranger frame rate problems. Frame rate drops dramatically on all worlds when I launch a 100+ part craft and Scatterer is used. Strangely, if I build the homeworld from 'scratch' and not using a non-Kerbin template, this goes away, and I'm back to the same problem with frame rate being good on ocean home worlds and not good on the rest.

Please poke this release and see how it reacts. I'm tired of bug hunting and being treated like Wheatley, so it's break time for a few days.

ASP 1.6.2 Release with Performance Workarounds!

After some help from @Thomas P. and the folks on the Kopernicus discord, I determined that the home world does need an ocean, even an underground one, to prevent significant frame rate drops. I added the ocean from the Kopernicus example world "Oceanus" and that seemed to do it for Duna, Dres, Jool, Tylo and Minmus.

Further, it appears Scatterer needs a proper Ocean{} configuration for the home world or frame rate will tank similarly, even if the home world already had an ocean. It turns out copying that world's Ocean{} configuration from a Kittopia dump is enough to satisfy Scatterer. This corrects frame rate problems on Eve and Laythe. Kerbin didn't need either fix.

I placed all of these changes in the GitHub repository. No release yet; I want to make one more change before doing a new release. But you can download a copy of the repository and overwrite your ASP 1.5.1 or later installation with it, but make a copy of your homeworldsetting.cfg first.

[Update 27 JAN 2019] I made all of the changes I wanted to make in the Repository. I'll have a release later today, but you can try the repository contents right now. I rearranged a few things, fully integrating the Duna Restoration Project and Jool Biomes for all home world settings. You can turn Restored Duna on and off. 

[Release now available] I uploaded ASP 1.6.2 to GitHub and SpaceDock. 

Edited by Gordon Fecyk
More updates and integration

Alien Space Programs 1.6.3 Released

ASP 1.6.3 includes full integration of Jool Biomes by @Snark including localization, and a new biome map for Restored Duna by @wile1411. Jool's Great Green Spot is now visible in all modes, and Restored Duna has the same biome list as Stock Duna mapped to the restored features.

If you play with Restored Duna as the home world, or you have Duna Restoration Project installed for a different home world setting, remove your separate DRP installation and edit homeworldsetting.cfg accordingly. 

• 3 weeks later...

Really enjoying the mod.  Thanks for taking this on!  :)

A couple of things that would be high on my wish list, if you're ever inclined:

• Would love to have the Mun available as a homeworld.
  • Would be great to have a simple toggle in the HomeWorldSetting.cfg (fine if it defaults to false) called "UseStockAtmosphere" or similar.  If set to true, ASP would leave stock atmosphere settings completely alone for all bodies (e.g. don't add an atmosphere to Minmus, etc.)

1 hour ago, Snark said:

Would be great to have a simple toggle in the HomeWorldSetting.cfg (fine if it defaults to false) called "UseStockAtmosphere" or similar. 

I thought "AspRealisticAtmospheres = False" did the job. This is the default setting as of 1.6.3, and leaves the atmospheres at stock settings. Is something still using an RA atmosphere with this set?

The one problem is if the home world is normally an airless body, as the home world needs to have an atmosphere even if it's practically non-existent. Without that, engine ISP gets incorrectly calculated on worlds that have actual atmospheres, and some world-first contracts don't work. So Minmus, Dres and Tylo get 0.001 kPa at datum level and should only last for a few hundred metres. I suppose this could be reduced further, but there has to be a staticPressureASL of 101.3 or engine ISP is all wrong. This gets ignored in actual flight because a pressureCurve section exists though.

The Mun's been discussed before. I think Greg omitted that for some reason as it wouldn't offer any significant challenge. But why not? Where would you put the KSC if it were on the Mun?

12 minutes ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

I thought "AspRealisticAtmospheres = False" did the job. This is the default setting as of 1.6.3, and leaves the atmospheres at stock settings. Is something still using an RA atmosphere with this set?

I installed the mod, left it set to false, and tried playing a Minmus game.  Minmus has an atmosphere.  I'd like it not to, I want to have a Minmus space program that is the same Minmus I'm used to, i.e. no atmosphere.

Since I happen to be reasonably versed in Kopernicus-fu, I was able to edit the relevant .cfg file to take the atmosphere away.  But I'd like not to have to spelunk to be able to do that-- plus, I don't have an easy way of knowing whether any other celestial-body atmospheres might be modified in some way.  Would love to have a single big global "Don't tinker with stock atmospheres-or-lack-thereof, at all" toggle.

(Unless what I'm observing is unintended behavior, i.e. a bug?  In other words, if "AspRealisticAtmospheres = false" is supposed to be the toggle that I want, then I guess this is a bug report rather than a feature request.)  ;)

The Mun's been discussed before. I think Greg omitted that for some reason as it wouldn't offer any significant challenge.

Well, for that matter, why Minmus, then?  If anything, Minmus is a lot lower challenge than the Mun is.

And I contend that Mun would be a challenge, if for no other reason than lack of atmosphere means no easy-landing-with-parachutes.

But why not?

Why not indeed.  :)

Where would you put the KSC if it were on the Mun?

Don't really care all that much-- somewhere on the equator, preferably in a reasonably level spot that gives a nice view of Kerbin.  East Crater, perhaps?

1 hour ago, Snark said:

Would love to have a single big global "Don't tinker with stock atmospheres-or-lack-thereof, at all" toggle.

I could try a pressure curve that ends at 0.5 m. I can't take the home world's atmosphere away entirely, or engines from that world wouldn't work at sea level on Kerbin, never mind on Eve. But maybe it could be brought down to an insignificant sliver.

What happens if you hyperedit a craft from an atmosphere-less home world Minmus to the surface of Kerbin, and check the sea level engine ISP value?

[Update] I just checked and the contracts "Launch first vessel" and "Escape the atmosphere" don't work at all without an atmosphere that at least is taller than the starting craft on the launch pad. This was reported earlier before the ASP Re-Visited thread started. So I really need to keep something there. What I can do though, is bring it down to 0.00000001 kPa pressure at datum level so it's pretty much nonexistent.

1 hour ago, Snark said:

And I contend that Mun would be a challenge, if for no other reason than lack of atmosphere means no easy-landing-with-parachutes.

Have you tried playing from Tylo yet?

Edited by Gordon Fecyk
Test results from Minmus

1 hour ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

What happens if you hyperedit a craft from an atmosphere-less home world Minmus to the surface of Kerbin, and check the sea level engine ISP value?

Seems to work just fine.  Here's what I did to the config:

@Atmosphere
{
    //needed for proper engine ISP on Bin.
    staticPressureASL = 101.325
    enabled = false
    oxygen = false
}

...i.e. I ditched the pressure curve and changed it to "enabled = false", but I kept the "staticPressureASL" as-is.  Engines worked fine in atmosphere.

The only wart I noticed is that the "escape the atmosphere" contract still appears (and is kinda confused looking, "Breach the atmosphere by flying to an altitude of meters"), but that's pretty minor and I can live with it (though perhaps could be fixed with more config jiggery-pokery not to appear).

[Update] I just checked and the contracts "Launch first vessel" and "Escape the atmosphere" don't work at all without an atmosphere that at least is taller than the starting craft on the launch pad. This was reported earlier before the ASP Re-Visited thread started. So I really need to keep something there. What I can do though, is bring it down to 0.00000001 kPa pressure at datum level so it's pretty much nonexistent.

Yeah, I noticed that the "launch first vessel" got confused, too.

Have you tried playing from Tylo yet?

Nope, haven't gotten around to trying that one yet.  Tylo's one of my least favorite places to go, in stock-- I find it inconvenient without actually being interesting (I'm talking about without an atmosphere).  After I've gone there a couple of times for the variety and the design challenge, I tend not to go back.  Glad it's available as an option here, and I'm sure folks will be interested.  :)  Just not my thing.

Laythe looks interesting, I expect I'll get around to that at some point.  :)

Out of curiosity... Is there a particular reason why the KSC on Minmus seems to be facing 180 degrees in the "wrong" direction?  i.e. the launchpad is the westernmost building rather than the easternmost, so that if a player wants to launch in a prograde (i.e. usual) orbit, they have to pitch the opposite direction and overfly the VAB?

Wasn't sure if that was a bug or a deliberate design feature-- if the latter, was curious about the decision?  I think most players would want to launch eastward (I certainly do), and it's a bit disconcerting.

On 2/23/2019 at 10:37 PM, GregroxMun said:

oh no fix it that's a mistake. oops

I'll put in an issue for this. I'll do this for 1.6.4, it's just I want to track this in the GitHub issue tracker.

Thanks for clarifying that. I wondered if the 180 degree switch on Minmus was deliberate or not.

9 minutes ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

I'll put in an issue for this. I'll do this for 1.6.4, it's just I want to track this in the GitHub issue tracker.

Thanks for clarifying that. I wondered if the 180 degree switch on Minmus was deliberate or not.

You officially have my permission to standardize the direction of the space centers to be runway pointing east, launchpad east of VAB, as in stock Kerbin. If you want and it doesn't break anything, I think maybe Bin should be renamed Kerbin with displayName.

Edited by GregroxMun

So, there's a bug I've been hitting since I've been playing Minmus Space Program.  I have no actual proof it's this mod, but I strongly suspect it:  it's happened several times since I installed it, whereas never happened ever before in prior careers, over many months of playing, and started happening right after I installed this.

I don't have any repro steps for it-- seems to be kidna random as far as I can tell (or, if not random, I haven't been able to figure out what the "trigger" is), but it's happened a few times.  The symptom is that the game becomes unable to "save".  By "save" I include not just explicitly saving, but also taking any action that would cause the game to automatically save, including all of the following things I've tried:

• Auto-saving to persistent.sfs
  • Quicksaving via F5
  • Manually saving via alt-F5
  • Trying to switch vessels in map view
  • Trying to return to KSC
  • Trying to go directly to the tracking station
  • Trying to recover a ship, when it's landed

When it gets into this mode, most of the above things simply do nothing (e.g. if you press F5, nothing happens).  The one exception is manually saving via alt-F5, which completely locks up the game so that nothing other than popping up the F12 debug window works; at that point there's basically no option but to alt-F4 to kill the game.

Here's a sample of the exceptions that pop up in the log file.

Spoiler

[EXC 13:58:40.159] ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
Parameter name: index
    System.Collections.Generic.List`1[LaunchSite].get_Item (Int32 index)
    Vessel.get_LandedInStockLaunchSite ()
    FlightState..ctor ()
    Game.Updated (GameScenes startSceneOverride)
    Game.Updated ()
    QuickSaveLoad.doSave (System.String filename, System.String screenMsg)
    QuickSaveLoad.quickSave (Boolean saveAs)
    QuickSaveLoad.Update ()
[ERR 13:59:09.401] Exception handling event OnVesselRecoveryRequested in class VesselRetrieval:System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
  at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[LaunchSite].get_Item (Int32 index) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Vessel.get_LandedInStockLaunchSite () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at FlightState..ctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Game.Updated (GameScenes startSceneOverride) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at GamePersistence.SaveGame (System.String saveFileName, System.String saveFolder, SaveMode saveMode, GameScenes startScene) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at GamePersistence.SaveGame (System.String saveFileName, System.String saveFolder, SaveMode saveMode) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at VesselRetrieval.onVesselRecoveryRequested (.Vessel v) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at EventData`1[Vessel].Fire (.Vessel data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

[EXC 13:59:09.403] ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
    FlightState..ctor ()
    GamePersistence.SaveGame (System.String saveFileName, System.String saveFolder, SaveMode saveMode, GameScenes startScene)
    GamePersistence.SaveGame (System.String saveFileName, System.String saveFolder, SaveMode saveMode)
    VesselRetrieval.onVesselRecoveryRequested (.Vessel v)
    EventData`1[Vessel].Fire (.Vessel data)
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
    EventData`1:Fire(Vessel)
    KSP.UI.Screens.AltimeterSliderButtons:recoverVessel()
    UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventSystem:Update()
[ERR 13:59:11.289] Exception handling event OnVesselRecoveryRequested in class VesselRetrieval:System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
  at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[LaunchSite].get_Item (Int32 index) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Game.Updated (GameScenes startSceneOverride) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at GamePersistence.SaveGame (System.String saveFileName, System.String saveFolder, SaveMode saveMode, GameScenes startScene) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at GamePersistence.SaveGame (System.String saveFileName, System.String saveFolder, SaveMode saveMode) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at VesselRetrieval.onVesselRecoveryRequested (.Vessel v) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

[EXC 13:59:11.289] ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
    FlightState..ctor ()
    GamePersistence.SaveGame (System.String saveFileName, System.String saveFolder, SaveMode saveMode, GameScenes startScene)
    GamePersistence.SaveGame (System.String saveFileName, System.String saveFolder, SaveMode saveMode)
[ERR 13:59:12.136] Exception handling event OnVesselRecoveryRequested in class VesselRetrieval:System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.

[EXC 13:59:12.137] ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
    FlightState..ctor ()
[ERR 13:59:12.926] Exception handling event OnVesselRecoveryRequested in class VesselRetrieval:System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.

[EXC 13:59:12.926] ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
    FlightState..ctor ()
[LOG 13:59:16.724] [OD] --> ScaledSpaceDemand.LoadTextures loading KerbinScaledSpace300 and KerbinScaledSpace401
[LOG 13:59:16.808] [OD] --> ScaledSpaceDemand.LoadTextures loading NewMunSurfaceMapDiffuse and NewMunSurfaceMapNormals
[LOG 13:59:27.167] [OD] <--- ScaledSpaceDemand.UnloadTextures destroying NewMunSurfaceMapDiffuse and NewMunSurfaceMapNormals
[LOG 13:59:27.275] [OD] <--- ScaledSpaceDemand.UnloadTextures destroying KerbinScaledSpace300 and KerbinScaledSpace401
[LOG 14:02:59.183] [UIMasterController]: ShowUI
[LOG 14:02:59.183] Game Paused!
[LOG 14:02:59.183] [UIMasterController]: ShowUI
[EXC 14:03:03.925] ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
    FlightState..ctor ()
    Game.Updated ()
    QuickSaveLoad.doSave (System.String filename, System.String screenMsg)
    QuickSaveLoad.OnSaveAsClose (System.String saveName, Boolean pauseGame, .FinishedSaveLoadDialogCallback onSaveAsCloseReturn)
    QuickSaveLoad.ConfirmDialog (Boolean pauseGame, .FinishedSaveLoadDialogCallback onSaveAsCloseReturn)
    QuickSaveLoad+<SpawnSaveAsDialog>c__AnonStorey1.<>m__1 ()
    DialogGUIButton.OptionSelected ()
    DialogGUIButton.<Create>m__7 ()
    UnityEngine.Events.InvokableCall.Invoke ()
    UnityEngine.Events.UnityEvent.Invoke ()
    UnityEngine.UI.Button.Press ()
    UnityEngine.UI.Button.OnPointerClick (UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData eventData)
    UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute (IPointerClickHandler handler, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData)
    UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute[IPointerClickHandler] (UnityEngine.GameObject target, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData, UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventFunction`1 functor)
[EXC 14:04:04.240] IOException: Win32 IO returned ERROR_ALREADY_EXISTS. Path:
    System.IO.File.Move (System.String sourceFileName, System.String destFileName)
    Kopernicus.LogAggregatorWorker.AggregateLogs (.EventReport report)
    Kopernicus.LogAggregatorWorker.OnApplicationQuit ()

As far as I can tell, it appears to be stubbing its toe on something involving alternate launch sites.

Unfortunately... it's now become a career-ender to me.  The first couple of times it was no big deal, because it happened shortly after launch and the only progress I lost was launching the craft, i.e. pretty trivial.  However, now it's done it on a crewed ship after I'd already sent it to another celestial body, done all the extended mission, etc., and trying to take off again.  It's irrecoverable.  Quitting the game and re-loading always puts it into the "I can't save at all" state-- even if I fly the ship back to KSC and land there, I can't recover it, nor is there any way to even get the kerbals back into the astronaut complex since recovery doesn't work.

FWIW, a few months ago I did try a Duna Space Program career, and it worked perfectly over the course of a long and illustrious career, and I never encountered this bug at all; whereas now it's happened several times in just the few days I've been playing Minmus.  So I'm not sure if it might be, 1. a problem with Minmus Space Program specifically, or 2. a problem with a KSP version change (I think the last time I played Duna Space Program was KSP 1.4 or 1.5), or 3. a problem with some code update in this mod, or 4. maybe I'm running some mod now that I wasn't then (though my mod list is fairly short and tends not to change around much).

Anyway... I'm sorry I can't provide better repro steps (i.e. any at all)-- I realize that lack of repro steps isn't super helpful, especially since I can't narrow down the exact circumstances for you.  :(  Just thought you might like a heads-up.  I hope that something in the above call stack might help.

@Snark Do you have the save from that career-ending bug? And do you have Making History installed? I don't have the DLC and I've been putting it off for a long time, so maybe it's time for me to buy it already.

Minmus has given me trouble before. When "Change my Kerbin" came out, I was able to template most stock worlds except for Minmus and Jool. Jool's a bit of an oddball as it is, but Minmus just didn't work at all unless I templated Bop and rebuilt Minmus from 'scratch.'

ASP 1.3.0 is still available. Does a Minmus career work with that version? It should still work with a newer Kopernicus on KSP 1.6.1. The difference is it templates Kerbin instead of Bop.

12 hours ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

Do you have the save from that career-ending bug? And do you have Making History installed? I don't have the DLC and I've been putting it off for a long time, so maybe it's time for me to buy it already.

Yes, I have the save.  Unfortunately, it's not a "clean" one; I've got some mods installed, and the currently-flown ship in that save, the one with the problem, happens to have mod parts on it.  So hopefully it's reproducible therefrom, but you wouldn't be able to load it unless you've got the same mods (which I'd be happy to list, I don't have all that many).

Yes, I've got Making History installed.

12 hours ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

ASP 1.3.0 is still available. Does a Minmus career work with that version? It should still work with a newer Kopernicus on KSP 1.6.1. The difference is it templates Kerbin instead of Bop.

No idea-- I'm a bit leery of switching Kopernicus-tinkering mod versions in the middle of a career; the potential for hilarity has been (in my experience) high.  Not due to any fault of mod-makers, it's just the nature of the beast; Kopernicus is unavoidably kinda "playing dice with the cosmos", as it were.  ;)

7 hours ago, Gorby1 said:

Or is it this mod that's giving Jool a surface?

^ This.

22 hours ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

And do you have Making History installed? I don't have the DLC and I've been putting it off for a long time, so maybe it's time for me to buy it already.

Eureka!  I think I've found it.

The bug is not limited to Minmus-- I got it with Laythe, too.

I'm playing with Making History installed, but with "Allow Extra Launchsites" turned off in game settings.

If I take my career-breaking Minmus save-- i.e. the one which, if I load it, is unsaveable, ship can't be recovered, etc.-- and I then go into career settings and enable the "allow extra launchsites" option... then I can save just fine and the problem goes away.

So I think this is a problem that only occurs if the player is playing with Making History installed, but "Allow Extra Launchsites" turned off.  So yeah, that's a bug... but easily worked around by enabling that option.

So, until/unless a fix is found... perhaps worth adding as a "known issue" to the OP of the thread?  Could save players a fair bit of grief.  ;)

[EDIT] Wait, no, alas.  I spoke too soon.  :(  Still there.  Switching to "allow extra launchsites" without doing anything else allowed me to do a quicksave (ship still sitting on Mun) and switch back to KSC... but if I try to go back to the ship and take off and then save while in Mun orbit, it's still back to the original "can't save" problem.  So yeah, no solution.  Maybe an indicator of roughly where the problem lies, but unfortunately I'm going to have to abandon ASP for a while, since it appears to be present for any homeworld if Making History is installed, and playing without that isn't an option for me.  Anyway, sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Actually, I think I may have come up with an easy repro case that doesn't require getting a save file from me.

As far as I can tell, this reliably works.  The bug reproduces,

• if Making History is installed (regardless of the "allow extra launchsites?" setting), and
  • you have a ship that is sitting on the surface (anywhere, any planet, including right on the launchpad), and
  • that ship has parts that can be decoupled, and
  • you decouple them so that now there is more than one "craft" present on the surface (even if the "craft" is just a piece of debris).

Doing that puts the game into a "can't save" state and dooms the mission (though if it's on the launchpad, "revert to VAB" still works).

I think that's the smoking  gun, here.  My Mun mission was doomed because I had some nearly-empty drop tanks which I dropped on the surface before taking off.  My Laythe career triggered it because I had a part-test contract to test a decoupler at the launch site.

So, until it's fixed, the workaround for players is "Don't decouple anything while you're sitting on the surface."

Injured

Folks, I need to take a break from bug-fixing ASP. It will take some time to heal a broken wrist, during which time I can't really do IT either. If @GregroxMun has time I'd like him to look at the big Making History bug Snark found.

Otherwise, please be patient while nature heals. Short term workaround seems to be to make another copy of your KSP installation and remove the DLC from GameData on it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.