[1.12.3] [Kopernicus] Alien Space Programs Re-Visited, v1.12.0 [07-MAR-2022]

Gordon Fecyk

On 9/11/2018 at 4:46 PM, Nasa741 said:

Does not work on Mac

Installing add-ons on a MacOS KSP installation is slightly different, though once you know where, it's the same as on Windows.

If you used Steam to install KSP Mac, launch Steam, bring up Properties for KSP, hit the LOCAL FILES tab, then BROWSE LOCAL FILES... (yes, the buttons and tabs are apparently in all caps on Steam.) You'll find a GameData folder in there. The remaining instructions are the same as for Windows. You then edit homeworldsetting.cfg with TextEdit. I think.

The only Macintosh I have access to is some older Core i7 with an even older edition of MacOS; not even 10.13. Last time I tried it was with KSP 1.3.1 and an older Kopernicus, but it worked.

[12 SEP 2018] Looks like Kopernicus 1.4.5-4 and Alien Space Programs 1.3.0 works fine on KSP 1.4.5 on MacOS 10.10.5. So make sure you have read/write access to wherever Steam installed KSP (Browse Local Files will get you there), and install Kopernicus and ASP per the same instructions for Windows.

Because MacOS 10.10 doesn't like running unsanctioned applications these days, to edit homeworldsetting.cfg you need to option-click (or right-click if you have a two button mouse) it, pick Open, then tell MacOS to open it with TextEdit. 

Edited by Gordon Fecyk
I showed a lot more courtesy than was deserved for a simple "does not work on X" post that didn't have log files, screen shots, or anything to go by.

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, GregroxMun said:

from the Kopernicus 1.5.0-1 changelog

I was going to start looking at 1.5.0-1 today to see how this works. It could prevent silly things like the island airport appearing on Eve.

[Update] No, not working so far. I submitted issue #319 at the Kopernicus repository as it was easier to paste a zip file into an issue than make a download link somewhere else.

[Update again] While I can't resolve trying to build the home world from Eve's template, it seems Kopernicus 1.5.0-1 works with the current Alien Space Programs release when Eve is set as the home world. The difference seems to be that it's still using the Kerbin template and then applying Eve's properties to it. I tested Duna and Minmus as well; reparenting Kerbin still works as it did.

Edited by Gordon Fecyk

@GregroxMun I've managed to overcome the problem I ran into on #319 and I can make home worlds that don't have Kerbin's artifacts, such as the island runway, Tut-An-Jeb-Ahn and tracking stations. These all look out of place and they override any artifacts that the chosen home world would normally possess. I can also spin up a wild Kerbin without these artifacts if I template Laythe and then apply Kerbin's properties to it, as before.

This leads to some creative control decisions that I need to defer to you on.

• Do we want additional tracking stations present on home worlds?
  • Do we want any of Kerbin's artifacts on a non-home world Kerbin? (I think these can be added after the fact as decals. I'll check using Kittopia.)
  • Do we want the home world's native artifacts in place? Such as Duna's pyramid and face rock.
  • Should I try to place a SpaceCenter decal on a non-home world Kerbin? (Right now just building Kerbin from scratch doesn't create the peninsula that the KSC normally resides on.)

Not related to changing Kerbin's template, I'd also like to consider:

• Somehow integrating Stock Visual Terrain. (Attempting to do so now will fail with varying degrees of silliness.)
  • Integrating your Restored Eve and Restored Duna as selectable options regardless of home world setting. Were there other pre-0.2 worlds to consider?
  • Adding a system-wide toggle for Realistic Atmospheres regardless of home world setting.

5 hours ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

@GregroxMun I've managed to overcome the problem I ran into on #319 and I can make home worlds that don't have Kerbin's artifacts, such as the island runway, Tut-An-Jeb-Ahn and tracking stations. These all look out of place and they override any artifacts that the chosen home world would normally possess. I can also spin up a wild Kerbin without these artifacts if I template Laythe and then apply Kerbin's properties to it, as before.

This leads to some creative control decisions that I need to defer to you on.

• Do we want additional tracking stations present on home worlds?
  • Do we want any of Kerbin's artifacts on a non-home world Kerbin? (I think these can be added after the fact as decals. I'll check using Kittopia.)
  • Do we want the home world's native artifacts in place? Such as Duna's pyramid and face rock.
  • Should I try to place a SpaceCenter decal on a non-home world Kerbin? (Right now just building Kerbin from scratch doesn't create the peninsula that the KSC normally resides on.)

Not related to changing Kerbin's template, I'd also like to consider:

• Somehow integrating Stock Visual Terrain. (Attempting to do so now will fail with varying degrees of silliness.)
  • Integrating your Restored Eve and Restored Duna as selectable options regardless of home world setting. Were there other pre-0.2 worlds to consider?
  • Adding a system-wide toggle for Realistic Atmospheres regardless of home world setting.

Restored Duna can be downloaded separately from its forum page, Restored Eve is yet to be released but I intend to release it eventually.

I'm making progress on placing ground stations on non-Kerbin-template home worlds in seemingly logical places, while preserving that world's native artifacts. Eve and Tylo have working versions. Laythe will be a challenge with the lack of dry land and there might be dead zones. I'm thinking Minmus and Dres really only need two polar stations given their size. Duna should be dead simple if I just look for high ground.

I don't yet know if I can make a wild Kerbin from the Kerbin template without breaking something, but it might be enough if I remove all of the City2 (ground station) PQS mods and edit the deserted KSC and KSC2 to not be ground stations. Maybe I could use the wrecked versions of the buildings.

[Update 25 OCT 2018] I have some stand-alone configs constructed for Eve, Duna, Restored Duna, Laythe and Tylo. Minmus and Dres will have comparably simple setups with only two additional ground stations near each pole. I also have a wild Kerbin / Bin with PQSCity, PQSCity2, PQS_MapDecal and PQS_MapDecalTangent mods removed that looks like a fully stock Kerbin but without any evidence of sentient life. Now I have to see about adding back some of these items, but I seem to be struggling with just copying PQS Mod items from a Kittopia dump.

Edited by Gordon Fecyk

Updates Available for Testing

I pushed some minor updates to the Master branch to adjust the atmosphere curves. Apparently KSP no longer requires a sliver of 1 ATM air at sea level to calculate engine efficiencies, as long as staticPressureASL is defined as 101.325 kPa. The actual atmosphere comes from the various atmosphere curves. This also seems to fix the Atmosphere indicators in navigation. The ASP 1.3.0 release still works on KSP 1.5.1 and Kopernicus 1.5.1-1 unmodified, and these updates only fix a display issue with the Atmosphere indicators.

If you are curious, there is a 1.5.1-1-alpha branch with dramatically simplified configurations. These configurations are not for normal gameplay and are instead experiments for home worlds that don't use the Kerbin template. This allows us to preserve that world's native artifacts, while keeping Kerbin artifacts off such as KSC2, the island runway and so on. To do this I also had to create new ground tracking stations at logical places on those worlds. But these configurations do not support normal switching.

This is important: The 1.5.1-1-alpha configs are for testing only. If you want to try one out, only add one folder and not all seven.

• 3 weeks later...

More Updates Available for Testing

The 1.5.1beta branch is a much more complete branch that has a similar feature set as the current release. All home worlds are selectable. The current values for science and contract weighting are not yet copied over from the release version, so career mode play won't make much sense right now. It is, otherwise, a lot friendlier than the alpha branch and can work for sandbox play and testing.

I'm doing a full redesign to take advantage of Kopernicus 1.5.1-1's "Change My Kerbin" functionality that lets us template any stock world and call it home. This lets me preserve that world's native artifacts (easter eggs) and place new ground tracking stations to replace the ones from Stock Kerbin, and prevent Kerbin's artifacts from appearing when the home world isn't Kerbin. You can see a silly example in Purple Space Program episode 9.

Here are some problems from the release version that are already fixed by taking this approach:

• No blue sky on Minmus or Tylo. There's still a placeholder atmosphere, but it doesn't mess with the scenery.
  • As mentioned, no Kerbin artifacts when Kerbin isn't the home world.
  • Native home world artifacts preserved, including Duna's face and Tylo's cave. Non-random monoliths should now be in their correct locations.

I have a pretty long to-do list. Anyone interested in helping?

• Fix the Space Center scene on Minmus. Unlike the release version, this version doesn't show the actual buildings. This is now fixed; I had to template Bop and then build Minmus from scratch. Hopefully I removed Bop's artifacts and put Minmus' artifacts back correctly.
  • Put the re-balanced science multipliers back, and adjust the contract weighting values. Partway done; Science is re-balanced but I haven't touched contract weights yet.
  • Put in Realistic Atmospheres 1.3.0. You thought Eve was easier? I'll have to move the PSC to higher ground so existing craft designs will still work! And forget reaching Jool's datum line; if the pressure doesn't kill you, the heat will. Done, and done.
  • Somehow put a KSC and KSC2 on the surface of an uninhabited Kerbin and have them not be ground stations.
  • Somehow put Duna's artifacts on a Restored Duna built from scratch, or avoid deleting PQSCity objects while replacing everything else. Done.
  • Put back Dres and Jool. Dres is back. Jool is sort-of back in that you can launch missions from a KSC on Jool, but you can't land anywhere else; not even on the surrounding terrain. Jool seems OK now.
  • Create a global switch for Realistic vs Stock atmospheres. Done.

I'll have this list duplicated as Issues in the repository and I'll make sure to tag them for 1.5.1beta.

Edited by Gordon Fecyk
Made progress on to-do list

Alien Space Programs 1.5.1beta Now Available

I completed a pre-release of ASP 1.5.1beta. It's feature-complete. I haven't yet figured out how to put the KSC and KSC2 back on an uninhabited Kerbin, but that isn't crucial. 

This release incorporates Realistic Atmospheres 1.3.0 by OhioBob, as the previous releases incorporated earlier versions. There are some nice surprises for folks that visit Tylo, and perhaps not-so-nice surprises for folks who visit Eve. me and my big mouth...

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 4:24 PM, Kroslev Kerman said:

it doesnt go well with Sci-fi Visual enchanments because i dont see clouds

Probably not right out of the box. Kerbin is renamed internally so the name is consistent with home world selection, but you'd need to edit any references to Kerbin to point to "Bin" instead.

Let me grab the current release of SFVE and test. I might need to fork my own copy and make a special release, like I did with Stock Visual Enhancements.

[Update] Yes that did it; editing all Kerbin references worked.

I'm going to have to make Module Manager patches for SVE and SFVE support for the next release, aren't I?

Edited by Gordon Fecyk

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 4:24 PM, Kroslev Kerman said:

it doesnt go well with Sci-fi Visual enchanments because i dont see clouds

OK, first make sure you're using the 1.5.1 release because that's what's in active development right now. Or if you're using an earlier release, grab these patch files and put them in the 0Miscellany folder:

https://github.com/GregroxMun/Alien-Space-Programs/tree/master/GameData/AlienSpacePrograms/0Miscellany

These should go through any active EVE configuration and rename Kerbin to Bin. I tested this against SciFi Visual Enhancements a moment ago, and it seems to work. This way you won't have to edit the SFVE configurations directly.

Edited by Gordon Fecyk
Edited post-1.5.1 release

It Is Done!

Alien Space Programs v1.5.1 release edition is now available from GitHub and SpaceDock.

There's a long list of changes from the 1.3.0 release, but the short explanation is that this was rebuilt from scratch using Kopernicus 1.5.1's Change My Kerbin feature, and OhioBob's Realistic Atmospheres v1.3.0. The RA support includes OhioBob's optional configurations for Eve and Tylo. I also added visual add-on support to make sure any visual configurations for Kerbin get applied to an uninhabited Kerbin as well.

You should expect different atmosphere ceilings for many worlds. Before you import a save into a game with this add-on, check any craft in low orbit of Eve, Duna, Jool, Laythe and Tylo to make sure they don't enter the new atmospheres.

On 11/27/2018 at 10:44 PM, Gordon Fecyk said:

It Is Done!

Alien Space Programs v1.5.1 release edition is now available from GitHub and SpaceDock.

There's a long list of changes from the 1.3.0 release, but the short explanation is that this was rebuilt from scratch using Kopernicus 1.5.1's Change My Kerbin feature, and OhioBob's Realistic Atmospheres v1.3.0. The RA support includes OhioBob's optional configurations for Eve and Tylo. I also added visual add-on support to make sure any visual configurations for Kerbin get applied to an uninhabited Kerbin as well.

You should expect different atmosphere ceilings for many worlds. Before you import a save into a game with this add-on, check any craft in low orbit of Eve, Duna, Jool, Laythe and Tylo to make sure they don't enter the new atmospheres.

any idea what the atmosphere ceiling on eve is on this patch just off hand?

ok got to readin the notes, but i had configured so that eve eas a lower atmosphere, and there was things around my base. 

is it possible to have a config that keeps the base KSC on the same place on eve, even though there will be 9 atmospheres of pressure? and at the same time keep all the other planets stock? 

Edited by Space Kadet
reading :p

1 hour ago, Space Kadet said:

is it possible to have a config that keeps the base KSC on the same place on eve, even though there will be 9 atmospheres of pressure? and at the same time keep all the other planets stock?

If you inspect EveRealisticAtmospheres.cfg you'll see several commented-out lines specifying two alternate locations for the KSC for this mode. One is the original ASP location at 450 m that will give you 9 atm, and the other is a more equatorial location at 3 km up but with more than 6 atm. You can either change the lines to change the locations, or you can delete the @SpaceCenter{} configuration from there entirely. 

As for keeping the other planets with their stock atmospheres, this redesign was meant to either use RA or not use it. But if you want an RA Eve but stock everywhere else, you can delete all other configurations from EveRealisticAtmospheres.cfg. They should be somewhat self-contained. 

There's also a switch to put back the 5 atm atmosphere for Eve in AlienSpacePrograms.cfg. It has a slightly lower ceiling of 50 km, so watch out as your speeds on re-entry will be slightly faster than the 55 km version. The KSC will be at the original 450 m location in this mode. This is probably the best mode for importing an Eve save from ASP 1.3.0 and earlier, especially if you have items placed around the original KSC.

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 12:06 PM, Space Kadet said:

tried the second hardest and this happened.....

Yeah let's fix that. This looks like it's 450 m up but it's back west into that ridge I described. Kopernicus flattened the area to accommodate everything, but it isn't perfect when the surrounding terrain isn't a good match.

Just to be sure, what did you want to do? I thought you wanted the KSC at the original 450 m location but with the 9 atm atmosphere, but the 'second hardest' should be the equatorial location on the ridge at about 3 km up.

I'll post two @SpaceCenter{} configurations here, and you can copy / paste one to replace the @SpaceCenter{} configuration in EveRealisticAtmospheres.cfg. I'll come back to edit this post once I have them working.

Original KSC location, 450 m altitude, 9 atm pressure:

Spoiler

@SpaceCenter
		{
			//PQSCity
			// Former PSC altitude pre-RA 1.3.0
			// If you want a taste of ten atmospheres pressure, go ahead. Try launching from here.
			%latitude = 0
			%longitude = -73.2
			%reorientFinalAngle = -17
			// --
			// Alternate location one at 0 lat, -75.139 long, 3400 m
			// If you prefer to keep inclination at zero but don't mind an extra 100 kPa pressure,
			// this is just slightly more challenging.
			//%latitude = 0
			//%longitude = -75.1387
			//%reorientFinalAngle = -17
			// --
			//Alternate location two at -0.422 lat, -75.1263 lon, 4060 m
			// Alternate location two at -0.422 lat, -75.1263 lon, 4060 m
			// This one is the closest match for the pre-1.3.0 launch site aside from the slight inclination.
			//%latitude = -0.4338
			//%longitude = -75.1300
			//%reorientFinalAngle = -15
			// --
			%lodvisibleRangeMult = 6
			%repositionToSphereSurface = true
			%repositionToSphereSurfaceAddHeight = true
			%repositionRadiusOffset = -20
			//Fix added for induced rotation
			%reorientToSphere = true  

//MapDecal 
			// If you want a taste of ten atmospheres pressure, go ahead. Try launching from here.
			%decalLatitude = 0
			%decalLongitude = -73.2
			%heightMapDeformity = 478
			%radius = 10000
			// --
			// If you prefer to keep inclination at zero but don't mind an extra 100 kPa pressure,
			//%decalLatitude = 0
			//%decalLongitude = -75.1487
			//%heightMapDeformity = 3700
			//%radius = 3800
			// --
			// This one is the closest match for the pre-1.3.0 launch site aside from the slight inclination.
			//%decalLatitude = -0.4228
			//%decalLongitude = -75.1263
			//%heightMapDeformity = 4360
			//%radius = 3800
			// --
			%absoluteOffset = 0
			%absolute = true

//Ground Materials
			%groundColor = 0.169,0.117,0.230,0.18
			%groundTexture = BUILTIN/SandyGround
		}

Slightly harder than pre-ASP 1.5.1 location, 3400 m altitude, 6 atm pressure:

Spoiler

@SpaceCenter
		{
			//PQSCity
			//%latitude = 0
			//%longitude = -73.2
			// --
			%latitude = 0
			%longitude = -75.1387
			%reorientFinalAngle = -15
			// --
			//%latitude = -0.4338
			//%longitude = -75.1300
			// --
			%lodvisibleRangeMult = 6
			%reorientToSphere = true  

//MapDecal 
			//%decalLatitude = 0
			//%decalLongitude = -73.2
			//%heightMapDeformity = 478
			//%radius = 10000
			// --
			%decalLatitude = 0
			%decalLongitude = -75.1487
			%heightMapDeformity = 3700
			%radius = 3800
			// --
			//%radius = 3800
			// --
			%absoluteOffset = 0
			%absolute = true

//Ground Materials
		}

These seem to work.

The only way I could get anything heavy into space from 450 m up and 9 atm pressure, was with Atlas explodium-breathing engines, which are like the Goliath turbofans. Even then I had to use a lot of them.

Edited by Gordon Fecyk
Added configuration suggestions

15 hours ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

Yeah let's fix that. This looks like it's 450 m up but it's back west into that ridge I described. Kopernicus flattened the area to accommodate everything, but it isn't perfect when the surrounding terrain isn't a good match.

Just to be sure, what did you want to do? I thought you wanted the KSC at the original 450 m location but with the 9 atm atmosphere, but the 'second hardest' should be the equatorial location on the ridge at about 3 km up.

I'll post two @SpaceCenter{} configurations here, and you can copy / paste one to replace the @SpaceCenter{} configuration in EveRealisticAtmospheres.cfg. I'll come back to edit this post once I have them working.

Original KSC location, 450 m altitude, 9 atm pressure:

Hide contents

@SpaceCenter
		{
			//PQSCity
			%latitude = 0
			%longitude = -73.2
			%reorientFinalAngle = -17
			// --
			//%latitude = 0
			//%longitude = -75.1387
			// --
			//%latitude = -0.4338
			//%longitude = -75.1300
			// --
			%lodvisibleRangeMult = 6
			%reorientToSphere = true  

//MapDecal 
			%decalLatitude = 0
			%decalLongitude = -73.2
			%heightMapDeformity = 478
			%radius = 10000
			// --
			//%decalLatitude = 0
			//%decalLongitude = -75.1487
			//%heightMapDeformity = 3700
			//%radius = 3800
			// --
			//%radius = 3800
			// --
			%absoluteOffset = 0
			%absolute = true

//Ground Materials
		}

Slightly harder than pre-ASP 1.5.1 location, 3400 m altitude, 6 atm pressure:

Hide contents

@SpaceCenter
		{
			//PQSCity
			//%latitude = 0
			//%longitude = -73.2
			// --
			%latitude = 0
			%longitude = -75.1387
			%reorientFinalAngle = -15
			// --
			//%latitude = -0.4338
			//%longitude = -75.1300
			// --
			%lodvisibleRangeMult = 6
			%reorientToSphere = true  

//MapDecal 
			//%decalLatitude = 0
			//%decalLongitude = -73.2
			//%heightMapDeformity = 478
			//%radius = 10000
			// --
			%decalLatitude = 0
			%decalLongitude = -75.1487
			%heightMapDeformity = 3700
			%radius = 3800
			// --
			//%radius = 3800
			// --
			%absoluteOffset = 0
			%absolute = true

//Ground Materials
		}

These seem to work.

The only way I could get anything heavy into space from 450 m up and 9 atm pressure, was with Atlas explodium-breathing engines, which are like the Goliath turbofans. Even then I had to use a lot of them.

I had already gone back to the stock model but ill give these a shot, as for launching... balloons! 

i launched a bfr from the 9atm, using tweek scaled eve engines, but the cost is huge :p 

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, That80sGuy said:

Sorry but I am very confused on how to install this mod. Can someone upload a video of how to install this mod and all of its requirements?

Make sure your game version is 1.5.1 ( its not updated yet) then install kopernicus (link on the first post, goto their page, download and copy it to your game data folder) then download and copy this game to your game data folder too. 

Once all thats done, you need to go into the ASP folder inside game data and look for the gonfig file, open it in a text editor and a few lines in you will see the set homeworld line, change it to where u like, duna is great but eve is hardcore! 

Initial Testing on 1.6.0-1

I started testing ASP 1.5.1 on KSP and Kopernicus 1.6.0-1 yesterday. So far, no surprises. I see Kopernicus now changes the KSP terrain colour and texture in the Vehicle Assembly Building and Spaceplane Hangar exterior views. No more green grass outside the Purple Space Centre. :-)

Is anything desired for an ASP 1.6.0 release? Something we might have missed in 1.5.1?

9 hours ago, baddzse233 said:

1.6 please

Try the current release 1.5.1 with KSP 1.6.1 and Kopernicus 1.6.1-1. Or a suitable Kopernicus backport for your version. It seems to work without issue when I use KSP 1.6.0 and Kopernicus 1.6.0-1, so I think it should be fine here.

I'm working on some frame rate issues caused by templating Eve for the home world. There seems to be a dramatic frame rate difference between building Eve from scratch vs templating Eve with really complex craft, but I'm working through that now to see what happens.

Frame Rate Problems Post-1.3.1

I'm trying to troubleshoot a major frame rate drop that occurs when I use world template that isn't Kerbin for the home world. Kopernicus 1.5 introduced "Change My Kerbin," which is supposed to let us use any stock world for the home world by using it as a template. This is already broken for Minmus, and I had to template Bop and build Minmus from Kittopia Dumps to make it work as home.

Eve has a new problem where if I template Eve for home, I get a severe frame rate drop. I can template Kerbin, use removeAllPQSMods = true to clear off its surface, and then build Eve from Kittopia Dumps to get a much better frame rate. I don't know if this is related to the trouble I had templating Minmus. I certainly can't template Jool; I had to template Eve and then use Greg's original Jool configuration to make it work. There might be other problems for different home worlds; Dres has this hole in the ground at the KSC for instance.

It seems I might need to redo all of the home world configurations for a 1.6.1 release. This is not a big problem; all of the stock world definitions are in Kittopia Dumps and I can copy / paste those for the most part. It will just take time.

[Update] So far, so good. I had to rebuild Bin and whatever the home world is though, to avoid the old bug from Duna where the space center scene was broken. It seems we can still only have one world templated from Kerbin.

Edited by Gordon Fecyk
Update

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.