[1.12.x] Inline Ballutes

17 minutes ago, nonono said:

You're right, my bad, I hardly ever make support requests so I just forgot about the log files. 

I'm using KSP 1.10.1.2939

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wqffmg91sgus3nd/Player.log?dl=0

What makes you think they aren't working?

Internally, they are just parachutes

I had been using existing craft and loading saved vehicles that pre-dated patch 1.9 when the ballutes would not work. I recall there being a bug with RealChutes on the 1.9 release where none of the parachutes worked. I have no idea why, but ballutes on my existing and saved craft would not deploy, but other parachutes had no issues. Brand new craft work as expected, and when I loaded a saved craft file I made before patch 1.9, removed the ballute, saved the craft, added the ballute back on again and saved again it behaves as it should. 

• 1 year later...

I wish there was a function where you could "pop", or open some type of valves on the ballute. it would give you. a little extra room to slow down, but it takes repair kits, or a special type of unit to refill.

5 hours ago, Fletch4 said:

I wish there was a function where you could "pop", or open some type of valves on the ballute. it would give you. a little extra room to slow down, but it takes repair kits, or a special type of unit to refill.

That really doesn't make sense, if they "popped", they would deflate and lost all ability to slow down

2 hours ago, Fletch4 said:

it would then be a parachute. the only thing the\at would happen would be the heat shield disappearing.

donut shaped chute.

Not really.  The whole idea of ballutes is to provide a measured amount of drag, not too much given the high speeds they are designed to work at.  Opening it up will destroy the structural integrity.

Regardless, I'm not planning on doing this

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.