[1.9.x] KERBAL MEDALS (for FINAL FRONTIER)

Daniel Prates

KERBAL MEDALS (FOR NEREID’S FINAL FRONTIER)

INTRODUCTION:

There is this wonderful mod by @Nereid, called FINAL FRONTIER (FF for short), which detects when your Kerbals break records, achieve landmarks and so on, attributing ribbons when such accomplishments are reached. It is a wonderful flavor mod, not only for helping you to keep track of specific achievements of your little fellows, but also as a role-playing thing. However on this last aspect of the mod, I always felt the need of more content. I wanted to assign my Kerbals actual medals, when I wanted to and as I saw fit - for purely role-play reasons. As it tuns out, Nereid made his mod such that you can create your own custom ribbons. So I went ahead and did a bunch of them. I don't particularly think the ribbons look like a million dollars, but they do not look as complete crap either! Here  goes a few images (not a complete list):

e83BQeX.png

LK0RTkB.png

KVqitiU.png

K1l9Ukl.png

Qs8UOGA.png

HOW TO INSTALL:

The usual. Drag and drop into your KSP folder. Do note that Nereid's main mod goes into its own folder (NEREID), but this one goes into the custom ribbons folder (STMRibbons). 

HOW TO USE:

Simply use the FF GUI to assign/bestow/confer/award the medals as you see fit.  Some of them are conceived in 'classes', so you can use the 'revoke' button to erase the lower-tier one and replace for the higher-tier equivalent. Do note that, unlike FF, where a ribbon is applied automatically when some record is broken, here this does not happen. Award if you wish, or don't.

DEPENDENCIES:

Only Nereid's FINAL FRONTIER, which is itself pretty dependency-free.

GAME VERSION:

1.9.x. Actually there is so little to go wrong here,  that I imagine this should work with ANY Kerbal Space Program version - as long as FF does too.

MOD VERSION HISTORY:

Current: 1.5. Recompiled for 1.12.x

1.4 sames as below. Recompiled for 1.10.x

1.3. same as below. Recompiled for 1.9.x.

1.2. Same as below. Recompiled for 1.7.x.

1.1 - Added a few ribbons, changed some descriptions and names, corrected some errors. More exploration ribbons were added, to match the anomalies existing all over the Kerbol System (for instance, if you visit the Mohole,  there is a ribbon for that).  Some medals were renamed to help differentiate them (and their uses) from one another, although it makes little difference since the idea is that you use them how and when you want. Most changes were made on account of other player's suggestions, which are much appreciated. Recompiled for 1.4.5.

Older: 1.00 - original release version.

IMPORTANT NOTICES:

Nereid has made the mod in such  way that there is a "base" number for each ribbon pack. He warns in the custom ribbon's config files that he has claimed the number 1001 and lower for himself. I went ahead and claimed the range between 9000 and 9999 for my mod, so if you wish to create your own ribbon pack, please do not use 1001 and lower (as warned by Nereid) neither 9000 through 9999, in which range my own ribbons reside!  

SUGGESTIONS/FEEDBACK:

I would love to get suggestions for other medals, badges,  commendations, ribbons, ranks, orders and whichever the community can think off, either vague or concrete ideas.  So far I still have some energy to spend on this so keep ideas coming if you have them. 

LICENSE:

MIT

COPYRIGHT ON THE IMAGES:

I did my best to use artwork coming from my own KSP game, or public domain images. If I eventually used some image that belongs to you without your authorization, please PM me and I'll get it off. 

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS:

My many thanks for NEREID for his own great mod, and for his authorization to do this (his actual words were that I didn't need one!).

WHERE TO GET IT:

Spacedock: https://spacedock.info/mod/1864/KERBAL MEDALS (for FINAL FRONTIER)

Edited by Daniel Prates

19 minutes ago, Jesusthebird said:

Would that we quire some sort of lifesupport?? Curious

Come to think of it,  some mods have something of a sort. In 'kerbalism'  they can get crazy for a while,  and in 'kerbal health' they get permanent radiation contamination. Hummm... maybe a radiation ribbon is a good idea!

^^ just stirring the Brainstorm Gumbo :).  radiation medals that compliment life support mods would be pretty cool. Or 'Veteran Class Ribbons'(say an engineer repairs X amount of parts. or a pilot flies X amount of kms, Scientists does X amount of experiments; step further= that+ respawning kerbals start from square 1 because death gives amnesia lol) so on and so forth.

dunno if thats a thing, maybe I just havnt gotten that far yet.

Edited by Jesusthebird

21 minutes ago, Jesusthebird said:

^^ just stirring the Brainstorm Gumbo :).  radiation medals that compliment life support mods would be pretty cool. Or 'Veteran Class Ribbons'(say an engineer repairs X amount of parts. or a pilot flies X amount of kms, Scientists does X amount of experiments; step further= that+ respawning kerbals start from square 1 because death gives amnesia lol) so on and so forth.

dunno if thats a thing, maybe I just havnt gotten that far yet.

Ok thats what I wanted,  keep the ideas coming. 

Interplanetary revisits medal.(visit a planet 3 times for example) Could make EVA part of that. 

Burn Master Medal(effectivly and efficiently preform prograde/retrograde/aerobraking within x% precision.(i know mechjeb is pretty good at it. But if the TWR is too high on your craft, Mechjeb can easily overshoot the burns unless you alter the max thrust% in its settings menu.)

IVA manuver masters(not sure how difficult this would be)..but as of now its personal taste how you fly. 3rd person or in the IVA. Medals could entice players to try flying in the IVAs for a neat experience.

Vertical Landing medals(self explanatory)

Difficulty based medals(like getting into lko without a probecore) or with X amount of fuel/other resources allowed

:) i just noticed you have to assign these medals by hand. Auto awarding based off in flight actions like FF would be grand for this mod addition too

Edited by Jesusthebird

38 minutes ago, Jesusthebird said:

i just noticed you have to assign these medals by hand. Auto awarding based off in flight actions like FF would be grand for this mod addition too

I have been thinking about this. I will talk to nereid and see if it is possible!

Firstly, well done.  Adding good content to FF is a nice achievement.

Secondly, a small correction (maybe) in the OP.  The 5th rank medal description should be "Colonel" vice "Coronel" (I know...stupid English pronunciation; this is what happens when you borrow from a dozen different languages).  I don't know if this text is also in-game or not.  Or maybe they should be "Kaptain", "Kommander" and "Kolonel" :cool:

Edited by Brigadier

22 hours ago, Brigadier said:

Firstly, well done.  Adding good content to FF is a nice achievement.

Secondly, a small correction (maybe) in the OP.  The 5th rank medal description should be "Colonel" vice "Coronel" (I know...stupid English pronunciation; this is what happens when you borrow from a dozen different languages).  I don't know if this text is also in-game or not.  Or maybe they should be "Kaptain", "Kommander" and "Kolonel" :cool:

Oh no,  you are quite right. English is not my native language and this kind of correction is most welcome. Do feel free to browse away and point out any other mistake you might find! I will make the corrections - K and all,  its fun to play along with this kerbolik fol'k'lore (pun intended). I actually tried to make funny descriptions here and there and,  lacking inspiration, left some of them a little bland. I will change them over time.

Glad you liked it. It seems a bit silly to invent medals that require manual awarding, but FF is a wonderful mod and deserves some contributions - even if purelly for roleplay and immersion.

The only thing that I have to say that I'm not a huge fan of with these ribbons is how detailed they are. Most ribbons in real life are a few patterns of colors, sometimes with a solid-colored metal instrument (bronze star, oak leaf, etc.) attached to it. I have never seen any ribbons with actual pictures on them, much less such detailed and multicolored pictures.

The reason for that is probably because ribbons are typically around 1.5 inches (roughly 3.8cm) wide and 0.25in (0.635cm) tall. Simple designs are easy to see from a distance, but in order to see a picture that small you'd have to get your face well within the personal space of the person displaying the ribbons to be able to see what the design actually is. More than that, it's probably just easier to make ribbons that have a few stripes of color and a little metal thing you stick through it than to have actual images.

I dunno, I'm probably just being a bit OCD thanks to being in Air Force ROTC. 

5 hours ago, Raptor22 said:

I dunno, I'm probably just being a bit OCD thanks to being in Air Force ROTC

Possibly a good point. However this is not real life,  allowing for some broader,  looser  depictions,  wouldn't you agree? KSP is a colorful, loose thing so I allowed myself to do them like that. It is optional anyway so I imagine I or anybody else can go nuts as they may see fit. In any case, doing what you say would probably result in a very bland group of ribbons. Realistic as it may turn out, it would probably not fit the game overall feel.

Anyway, Custom Ribbons can be done by anyone: try developing one such pack following your knowledge of ribbons and lets see how it turns out! :)

Finally: my grandfather fought in Italy during ww2 and he has a bronze star medal,  amongst other medals. This one hiwever comes with the proper medal,  the ribbon as you describe and a third thing: a small metal button,  around 1cm wide with a sort of cuff behind it. What was it for?

EDIT: let me explain a little better. It is actually the same as the ribbon,  however much smaller and made of metal. Where was it supposed to.be used? Is it a lapel pin?

Edited by Daniel Prates

6 hours ago, Daniel Prates said:

Finally: my grandfather fought in Italy during ww2 and he has a bronze star medal,  amongst other medals. This one hiwever comes with the proper medal,  the ribbon as you describe and a third thing: a small metal button,  around 1cm wide with a sort of cuff behind it. What was it for?

EDIT: let me explain a little better. It is actually the same as the ribbon,  however much smaller and made of metal. Where was it supposed to.be used? Is it a lapel pin?

I'm not sure I can answer the question but, at least in the British and Canadian medal systems, miniature medals were worn on Mess Kit.  They aren't ribbons, though; they're miniatures of the medal.  I suspect, from your description, that it's a hat or lapel pin.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice work, I love FF and I'm always on the lookout for new ribbon packs. 

But that said, These seem more like patches, than ribbons.  Maybe if you introduced another series of ribbons with the artwork more toned down, more of what you'd see on a small ribbon (think like 6 colors max for the ships and such, and lower res).  That way you can keep the ribbons as is in one pack, and release another pack (under the same name, different download) with the low res textures.

And I do like some of these, the rank ones I really do like, maybe you could also split the different types of ribbons into different packs (Like a rank pack, Honorary pack, Society pack, etc) so players could easily mix and match the ribbons they want. 

And another suggestion, or request even:  I like to have small ribbons for crew that get assigned to motherships.  A small variety pack of random emblems that could represent various ships would be cool.  There are packs out there that have multicolored ribbons, but I'm looking for something more unique, but still fitting with the FF-stock style. 

On 5/25/2018 at 7:37 PM, Daniel Prates said:

US government issued medal sets contain the medal, ribbon and a lapel pin.  In the 1960's it became a "clutch back" type of pin.  If yours has a button type back, to insert thru the lapel buttonhole, then it is an older style and was probably original issue.

5 hours ago, jpkerman said:

US government issued medal sets contain the medal, ribbon and a lapel pin.  In the 1960's it became a "clutch back" type of pin.  If yours has a button type back, to insert thru the lapel buttonhole, then it is an older style and was probably original issue.

Oh its a lapel pin then!  Yeah, its a button type thing. It was awarded in 1945 so it fits your description.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/7/2018 at 3:50 PM, Gargamel said:

No reason it shouldn't be, as long as FF is. 

That is indeed the case. And it is hard to imagine FF being incompatible with anything else in the entire KSP mods spectrum. So both this and FF should work fine with every mod build. 

• 1 month later...

New version:

1.1- Added a few ribbons, changed some descriptions and names, corrected some errors. More exploration ribbons were added, to match the anomalies existing all over the Kerbol System (for instance, if you visit the Mohole,  there is a ribbon for that).  Some medals were renamed to help differentiate them (and their uses) from one another, although it makes little difference since the idea is that you use them how and when you want. Most changes were made on account of other player's suggestions, which are much appreciated. 

Also, recompiled for 1.4.5 (in name only. No actual changes were necessary. It makes no difference).

• 1 month later...
22 hours ago, PmThay said:

Hello @Daniel Prates, I have a small question. does this version works with the last version of Final_Frontier-1.5.0-3380?

Oh I'm pretty sure it should. I haven't updated it yet because I have not yet tested it myself,  but I antecipate no problems since Final Frontier, though complex,  is one of those "can't go wrong" plugins and my own mod is just a bunch of jpgs and text.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.