KerbalX points system

Klapaucius

I believe it's outlined in the "popularity" section of this post:

On 4/6/2016 at 9:48 PM, katateochi said:

Currently I'm thinking something like "crafts.download_count*1.2 + crafts.view_count*0.2 + crafts.vote_count*4"
A craft can rack up a high view count just for being well publicised (things that get shown on twitch streams can get really high view counts, but not always so many downloads) so I think view_count needs to be diluted hence multiplying it by 0.2. Download count is probably the most reliable of the three to determine if it's popular so needs a good weight.  vote_count (points) should I think be a more significant value, but KX users seem to be very stingy with upvoting craft! So that's why I'm bumping that value up by 4.  
Or the otherway I could look at it is to divide download_count by view_count and then add on vote_count, something like: "crafts.download_count / (crafts.view_count+1) + crafts.vote_count*4" 
(the +1 on view_count is just to avoid a divide by zero error).  

However, that may have been altered before reaching the production server.

Sorry for the slow reply!

So there's points and popularity.  Points are pretty straightforward and linear, popularity is a bit...squiggly. 
You get a point for each craft uploaded and a point for each upvote a craft gets. You don't get any points for posting comments, but if a comment gets upvoted then that's another point.  You can also get points if you submit mod data via the Part Mapper tool (actually, I'll be honest, that's such an old part of the site, I can't remember how many points you get for that....or even if points for Part Mapper data is still switched on).  You can also "spend" points, if you ever downvote someone else's craft it will cost you 5 of your own points (which you'll get back if the downvoted craft is subsequently removed), really that's just to discourage aggressive downvoting and only encourage downvoting for really bad (rule breaking) craft.  I could also in theory dock points from a user for doing something bad, but you guys are all so good I've never had the need to do that!

Looking at your account, right now (several days on from when you posted this question), you've got 8 craft with the following points [5, 3, 3, 3, 1, 2, 1, 4] (that includes the initial point each craft gets), so that's 22 points, and you've made 9 comments and 5 of them have been upvoted giving you another 5 points.  There are no point adjustments on your account, so you've got 27 points total.

"Popularity" is just a per craft thing and it factors in number of views, download and points the craft has had.  (if you're interested, this is the formula; download_count*1.2 + view_count*0.1 + vote_count*5).  Popularity is only used as a way of sorting craft, it doesn't influence the points your account has.

Hope that answers your Q! 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.