High G tourists!?!?

I just got offered two contracts to make tourists pass out from High G loads.

Now, I usually stay as far away from G loc as possible, limiting my vessels to 2g's, and I haven't really touched a plane in this save, but I still don't do High G manuevers.    

Any suggestions on doing this without going through a lot of tests pilots? 

Those G-LOC contracts are situation-specific. "In flight" is pretty easy to do. "Suborbital" is pretty easy. "Orbital" is quite hard.

Also, you need to limit the load. Either 2 or 3 kerbals at a time is probably going to be your limit. Above that and it's too hard to generate big enough forces.

Well, it would really help if my G tolerance wasn't cranked to 6x in the settings......

I had just never seen one of these before, and I hadn't seen one mentioned in the forums either...

But I just launched a pod with a bunch of fleas attached, got it suborbital, and as it neared apogee, fired them off.   Reversed it's 'orbit' in about 3 seconds.  That did it. 

Edited by Gargamel

Yeah, having go to lengths to give all my kerbals a smooth and safe ride (perma-death, part failures, Life support to add challenge), I had just never considered going in the opposite directions.

These kerbals are a bunch of sick puppies I'll tell you what.... 

Shoulda done one of the rides from IVA....

What I do is launch STRAIGHT up 100,000m and come STRAIGHT down, in a pod sufficiently light to quickly reduce to parachute velocity plus a heatshield for survival.  The 2-man airplane tube works well for this purpose if you can convince it to face the right direction on re-entry.

However, I no longer take these missions because in 1.3.1 at least the contract will not be fulfilled when they pass out.

Edited by Corona688

For in flight ones, I use the 2-seat passenger tube on top of a reduced-fuel Hammer SRB with a pile of oversized separatrons firing in the next stage once I'm climbing & pointed in a safe direction.  I frequently get them to pass out twice - once on boost & again when the chutes open.  I can turn a small profit off of a single passenger in hard career with my design.  For suborbital, I basically added a small booster below the in-flight rig to loft it above 70km.  I've not actually messed with orbital ones.  Never had an issue with either 1.3.1 or 1.4.3 though.

2 hours ago, Corona688 said:

What I do is launch STRAIGHT up 100,000m and come STRAIGHT down, in a pod sufficiently light to quickly reduce to parachute velocity plus a heatshield for survival.  The 2-man airplane tube works well for this purpose if you can convince it to face the right direction on re-entry.

However, I no longer take these missions because in 1.3.1 at least the contract will not be fulfilled when they pass out.

Normal tourism contracts are not supposed to be paid if the tourists pass out. But the high-g contracts demand that the tourists pass out. Are you saying that if you fulfill the required demands of the contract that it automatically means they don't pay out?

Try an extremely steep dive in a plane, thats how NASA does it in the "vomit comets". Or try a rocket (which is how I do tourist contracts) but instead simply accelerate a little more during descent. OR do the parachute method, but I don't advise this as its very likely you will snap the parachutes.

Ill make you a craft file for a Vomit comet in KSP ;}

11 hours ago, Corona688 said:

I'm playing 1.3.1, and they completed just fine. 

Edited by Gargamel

For high G contract, I usually slap a bunch of wings (more is better, to increase drag) on crew cabin, a lot of reaction wheel, and using the most powerful (preferraby uncontrollable) engine that I can find (usually vector, bunch of SRBs, etc.). Then fly normally at level flight before igniting the G engine. Get to the highest mach possible (preferrably mach 5 or 7+) before suddenly pulling up. The tourists should be passed out because of that (note: I'm using drones for this, I don't want my kerbal passing out too). An easier way to do this is by re-entry. get the steepest re-entry angle with a lot of drag-inducing parts slapped on a capsule

But the hardest type of high G contract that I ever get is the one where I'm supposed to make them pass out IN ORBIT. Either my craft goes on suborbital (failing the mission) or escape trajectory (also failing the mission). If anyone knows how to make them pass out while in orbit, I'd like to know how

11 minutes ago, ARS said:

For high G contract, I usually slap a bunch of wings (more is better, to increase drag) on crew cabin, a lot of reaction wheel, and using the most powerful (preferraby uncontrollable) engine that I can find (usually vector, bunch of SRBs, etc.). Then fly normally at level flight before igniting the G engine. Get to the highest mach possible (preferrably mach 5 or 7+) before suddenly pulling up. The tourists should be passed out because of that (note: I'm using drones for this, I don't want my kerbal passing out too). An easier way to do this is by re-entry. get the steepest re-entry angle with a lot of drag-inducing parts slapped on a capsule

But the hardest type of high G contract that I ever get is the one where I'm supposed to make them pass out IN ORBIT. Either my craft goes on suborbital (failing the mission) or escape trajectory (also failing the mission). If anyone knows how to make them pass out while in orbit, I'd like to know how

Would doing your G engine burn Normal or Antinormal help?  Should be  a lot harder to accidentally hit escape velocity that way.

Rather disappointed that this does not work.  Even after exploding, the cabins reported max G of 0.0G :(

40bscreenshot13.png

17 minutes ago, Lego_Prodigy said:

What if you made a ground centrifuge that didnt take off at all, but used the reaction wheels and solar panels to spin fast, but its on wheels so it won't go flying away.

Wouldn't matter.  Rotation doesn't affect G forces on the kerbals.  Notice the bars in the SS are empty even though that thing is spinning at like a billion rpm.

5 hours ago, Geonovast said:

Would doing your G engine burn Normal or Antinormal help?  Should be  a lot harder to accidentally hit escape velocity that way.

What makes it difficult here is the way KSP apply G-forces to kerbals. The G-force will only apply in-flight if there's a sudden deceleration. On atmospheric type contract, this is easy since after getting mach 5 or 7+, you can just pitch up and the sudden deceleration is almost guaranteed to pass up any kerbal inside. The same could be said in suborbital type contract, since it's natural for returning crew capsule to experience massive deceleration from orbital velocity the moment they hit the atmosphere. The hardest is the one that requires you to make them pass out "in orbit" (emphasis on that). If I'm just burning on a single direction in orbit, it won't create any G-force, and since there's no atmosphere, the only way to do this is by firing up the engine on the opposite direction. If I'm going to use prograde/retrograde, normal/antinormal or radial in/out direction, then it's either it's hitting escape velocity (so it doesn't count as "in orbit") or decelerated into suborbital trajectory (also doesn't count as "in orbit"). No matter what, inducing deceleration in orbit requires the craft to decelerate, since there's no atmosphere for pitching up. And any deceleration in orbit can easily change the craft's trajectory (because any orbit direction change to pass out a kerbal will make the trajectory goes briefly suborbital and the G-force peak during deceleration is when you hit 0 velocity relative to orbited celestial body, once you gain velocity on opposite direction, the G-force bar on kerbal depletes)

I think the real problem is how the system doesn't seem to know what's the limitation of the game world. In real life, pilots can go blacked out just by flying fast enough because there's a G-force applied to them. Kerbals? meh... It's extremely rare for kerbals to experience G-force just by flying too fast (remember, they survived re-entry without capsule and occassionally still lived to tell the tale). They are ridiculously resistant to G-force. The problem is, the contract seems to overlook the fact that Kerbin's gravity is too weak to induce a deceleration with a G-force sufficient enough to pass out a kerbal without changing the orbit into escape trajectory or suborbital flight. I do managed to make them passed out, but that usually happens after my orbit goes escape/ suborbital trajectory, so it doesn't count. If only the celestial body that's used has stronger gravity (Tylo, Eve, Jool), then it might be possible to pull this off

20 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

Normal tourism contracts are not supposed to be paid if the tourists pass out. But the high-g contracts demand that the tourists pass out. Are you saying that if you fulfill the required demands of the contract that it automatically means they don't pay out?

The contract didn't void itself, but didn't complete either.  They work for other people though, so I guess just a glitch.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.