Making History: What if we don't need seats?

I've been playing around with Making History and I've noticed a recurring (and glaringly big) issue with the new command pods- none of them have windows you can double click-look out of- and although a minor compliant with most of the new pods, the Munar Excursion Module* . Which, is needless to say is designed to emulate the design of the Apollo Lunar Module. Which creates a bit of a dilemma. The Lunar Module was designed with the explicit intention of both crew members standing. This is done so not only ditch the weight of seats, but also cut the need for such large windows.

So by having larger windows, the crew would need to stand near them, to get the best view, but instead you're stuck, in a seat, with a tiny window that only allows for an upward POV from the seat. So effectively your stuck with a trait of the original design for the L.E.M. (there is difference between the L.E.M. and the LM that I'll get to later) but in the LM. By standing next to the window, you get a better POV. One significantly better for landing as you can actually see what's below you, rather than just the horizon.

So I suggest everyone at Squad take a moment to watch this segment of the TV miniseries, from the Earth To The Moon and ponder what it has to say.

105320767.jpg

LM_sim_Joliet_CDR_position600.jpg

So the initial (and likely the much easier option) is to just add a double click point like from the normal stock pods. However I do propose an alternative, that is a bit more arduous, but also more accurate to the vehicle they are depicting. I suggest that Squad create a static 3D model of a standing Kerbal, and just fit the head of a sitting Kerbal to that, with their arms and lower body hidden away in the control panels and as a result, out of view. Allowing for a standing Kerbal with a moving head, but without having to redesign how command pods function entirely. The Kerbal's body would be part of the pods geometry rather than an animated figure. The second command slot can be an empty suit if a second crew member is not present. The crew wouldn't move much so having static figures would work fine with the default heads plugged into them.

Of course the easier option is to just add a double click zoom in.

For the * see the spoiler below.

Spoiler

Again, as mentioned earlier, there is a difference between the Lunar Module, and the Lunar Excursion Module. The Lunar Module, is the vehicle that landed on the moon.

(Lunar Module)

1200px-Apollo16LM.jpg

(Lunar Excursion Module)

earlyLEM.jpg

The Lunar Excursion Module, was the early designs. It varied by having much larger windows, the addition of seats,  5 landing legs a round base, rather than an octagonal one seen on the LM, two docking ports (on the top and on the front) whereas the LM only had one on the top, of which, the front was a rounded port rather than square on the LM.

During the process of development on the LM, it was decided to drop the 'Excursion' part and simply leave the name as the Lunar Module (LM), and so the original LEM only lived on as it's verbal slang name 'lem'. The E portion of LM is often misused in text seeing as it refers to the original vehicle.

So if Squad wants to use it on their vehicle, they need to apply it to the 5 legged and big windowed lander we see here, or shorten the name to MM as the Munar Module.

6 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Agreed, the lack of clickable windows for different views in some of the new command pods really disappointed me.

That bug, for me at least, is fixed in version 1.4.3 and the corresponding Making History.

The perspective through the windows changes when I double-click, roughly consistent with what one would see by getting out of the seat.  The small round windows on the Russian-style capsules, however, need a different perspective, as if we put our face against the glass, to give a useful field of view.

While it was very lame not to include them in the release of the expansion, they did fix it by putting them in.  They definitely have clickable windows for me.  Check yo version.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.