Delete or deactivate account?

DaMachinator

It looks like my best option is to wait 4 days for the GDPR rules to go into effect and go that route. That should get my email address wiped, at the very least - and that's all I care about, since I'm deleting that email account and I don't want an email address of mine that doesn't exist any more getting password resets, etc.

3 hours ago, silverfox101 said:

According to Take Two you can request your account be deleted.

You mean a Take Two account? Because that's not the same as a forum account. We don't delete accounts here. 

On 5/21/2018 at 12:24 PM, DaMachinator said:

It looks like my best option is to wait 4 days for the GDPR rules to go into effect and go that route. That should get my email address wiped, at the very least - and that's all I care about, since I'm deleting that email account and I don't want an email address of mine that doesn't exist any more getting password resets, etc.

why not just change the email associated with your forum account?

On 5/22/2018 at 5:14 AM, Vanamonde said:

You mean a Take Two account? Because that's not the same as a forum account. We don't delete accounts here. 

Well, you'll have to for any EU citizen that request it.

27 minutes ago, sarbian said:

Well, you'll have to for any EU citizen that request it.

To tell you the true, they are obliged to delete personal information, not the account.

As long as they delete/change data enough to make impossible to associate you with the content, they had fulfilled the European Law.

As a example, you can demand a company to delete links to a news page about you, but there's nothing stating about deleting of the news page itself.

Source.

So, it appears to me that locking the account, changing the username to something like "unactive_<some_random_number>", and then blanking all the profile data but keeping the posts it's enough.

Keep in mind that by using the Forum, you already granted irrevocable rights about the content you post here - so I don't think you will find grounds to force the deletion of non-personal content over a sue, even on Europe.

14 minutes ago, Lisias said:

As a example, you can demand a company to delete links to a news page about you, but there's nothing stating about deleting of the news page itself.

News is one of the exception.

In the same link you provided.

Data should be deleted

You have joined a social networking site. After a while, you decide to leave the networking site. You have the right to ask the company to delete the personal data belonging to you.

19 minutes ago, Lisias said:

Keep in mind that by using the Forum, you already granted irrevocable rights about the content you post here - so I don't think you will find grounds to force the deletion of non-personal content over a sue, even on Europe.

EULA/TOS do not trump laws.

1 minute ago, sarbian said:

News is one of the exception.

In the same link you provided.

EULA/TOS do not trump laws.

On the very same link you provided : "PERSONAL DATA", not "CONTENT". :-)

Personal desires doesn't trump EULA/TOS . If the data doesn't links univocally to your persona, it's not personal.

20 minutes ago, Lisias said:

On the very same link you provided : "PERSONAL DATA", not "CONTENT". :-)

Since each post include the IP address from where I posted I beg to disagree (yes you do not see it, but it is here. And yes an IP is personal data). 

And "Different pieces of information, which collected together can lead to the identification of a particular person, also constitute personal data.". It would not be hard to find who wrote a post even if you change the username. 

25 minutes ago, sarbian said:

Since each post include the IP address from where I posted I beg to disagree (yes you do not see it, but it is here. And yes an IP is personal data). 

And "Different pieces of information, which collected together can lead to the identification of a particular person, also constitute personal data.". It would not be hard to find who wrote a post even if you change the username. 

And since such IP data are on their servers and can be easily deleted/tampered, you again are on the wrong side of the argument. And once they delete such data from the posts, how do you plan to prove they were yours?

Assuming the Forum would like to try this stunt and do what I said, how do you plan to prove that such posts were yours at first place, so you can file a sue on the European Courts? You know, you must prove the ownership of the posts by the Copyright Law, that rules... Content. And it's up to you , too, to prove the information left on the site would lead to you. And once you pinpoint such posts, the Forum is obliged to delete these data and not all of them.

I can easily write posts with the very same data you claim would also link to you. How do you plan to demand their deletion, if you decide to "delete your account"?

This is a whole can of worms. Your right to your data ends when the right to their data starts - and the legal definition about what is their data and what is your data is, frankly, open to debate. The EEUU is signatory if the Vienna Agreement, so the WIPO must be also respected. And, in fact, you agreed to give them rights on your content by using this Forum - so, it's their data too.

What law should have prevalence ? How EEUU plans to keep signatory of WIPO if a local law tries to overrule WIPO?