Help with basics of exporting from Unity

Hello, 

sorry if answers form my questions can be easily found elsewhere but I literally started my modding adventure yesterday and still can't wrap my head fully around all this new Blender, Unity and forums stuff. So I believe I imported my new part to Unity properly (I followed Unity part of this tutorial step by step). Very basic stuff, just a textured cylinder. I use Unity version 2018.1.1f1,  KSP PartTools from the first post in this thread and play KSP 1.3.1. My part does not appear in the game. KSP log goes as follows:

[ERR 22:06:59.317] PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'BoomerSC' as model does not exist

[ERR 22:06:59.318] PartCompiler: Model was not compiled correctly

[ERR 22:06:59.319] PartCompiler: Cannot compile model

[ERR 22:06:59.320] PartCompiler: Cannot compile part

I have .mu and .mbm files in my mod folder, as well as .cfg file. 

What could possibly be wrong? Will my Unity+PartTools combo even work with KSP 1.3.1 or is it for 1.4+ only? I know that there may be dozens of possible causes but maybe I did some basic noob mistake... 

Edited by JebIsDeadBaby

After doing your modelling in Blender, just save or copy the .blend file in your Unity assets folder. No need to export as fbx from Blender for Unity.

Also, since you are just starting out, its best to use the same version of Unity as KSP is done in. For 1.4.x, thats 2017.1.3p4... For 1.3.1, you should be using 5.4.<something>.... Also, the new PartTools listed in the thread you linked is for 1.4.x.... there was a Parttools specifically for 1.3.x... I'm not sure where you could get that version from... I have a copy, but not sure if it can be redistributed, due to licensing and the new EULA that came with takeTwo's ownership.

I would just go with Unity 2017.1.3p4 and the 1.4.x PartTools, and make a seperate KSP dev install of 1.4.3 to make your parts/mod in. Then you can copy them to your 1.3.1 install for playing and testing in 1.3.1.
Anything you make "should" work in 1.3.1, unless you're doing some plugin thats needed for your stuff.

Unity 2017.1.3p4 can be found on the Patch Releases page on the Unity site... for some reason, the patch releases are on a different page than the main Releases page. vOv

Oh, and .mbm format is a holdover from earlier KSP... you shouldnt need to mess with .mbm... use png, or tga during development, then convert all textures to .dds for public releases.

for the issue of your model not being found, make sure the filename and URL is correct in the .cfg.
Also, i would use the "new" model parameters, (MODEL {}, and *not* mesh = ), as defined here:
https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/CFG_File_Documentation#Model_Parameters

Edited by Stone Blue

for the issue of your model not being found, make sure the filename and URL is correct in the .cfg.

That was it. A noob mistake indeed. I assumes that root is where .cfg file is, when in fact it's in Game Data, where Module Manager sits. Thx a lot.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.