Black heat shields

18 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

You can also use TextureReplacer with an self modified version of the original texture file. Just tried it and its actually pretty simple:

DfLfhph.png

You don't even need programs like photoshop...I did this with paint.NET^^

That's exactly what I wanted, thanks for the advice

25 minutes ago, CodeFantastic said:

Well, it would be helpful to know where to start 

A good start would be to download and install TextureReplacer (be careful to get the correct version)

You will find a "Default" folder inside the mod folder. To replace a stock texture, you need this folder but also some more which need to be created by yourself. Basically, you need to "rebuild" the folder structure used by the stock "Squad" folder. In this case (heatshield), it shoud look like this:

KSPInstallFolder\GameData\TextureReplacer\Default\Squad\Parts\Aero\HeatShield

Now, you need to copy the original heatshield texture file in the last folder. The file name is 'heatshield.dds' and can be found here:

KSPInstallFolder\GameData\Squad\Parts\Aero\HeatShield (you see, same folder structure ;) )

As soon as you have copied the texture file, you can edit it like you want. To get the result shown in my screenshot, I've opend the file in paint.NET, clicked "Adjustments" in the toolbar and choosed 'Hue / Saturation'. This brought up 3 sliders (Hue, Saturation and Lightness). I've changed the saturation to 0 and lightness to -54, hue doesn't change anything while saturation is 0.

edit: Forgot to mention: When saving the modified texture file, you will be ask for some settings. I've used "DXT5 (interpolated Alpha)" and to be honest...I have no idea what that is but I don't care if its running^^

Edited by 4x4cheesecake

18 minutes ago, CodeFantastic said:

Well, the texture replacer way didn't work, but I just replaced the actual parts texture with the modified one and it works. Thanks a loT!

Well, thats also a way to change the texture :D Maybe keep an backup of the modified file to replace it again after a KSP update.

8 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Well, thats also a way to change the texture :D Maybe keep an backup of the modified file to replace it again after a KSP update.

Unfortunately, this is not compatible with Ven's SR, which is unfortunate. 

So you could install DCK and add a patch for the heat shields as I haven't added compatibility for the heat shields or fairings ... but I have almost every other stock part as well as the parts in around 18 or so mods already in DCK

Take a look .... I could be easily convinced to write a config for the heat shields, never thought to add compatibility for them

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.