"Potato Phase II" - Unlocking The Rest Of The Stock Tech Tree In Just Two Missions!

MerlinsMaster

In my previous tutorial, I showed how you can unlock the first five tiers of the stock tech tree in just six missions.  Well, buckle up, because in this tutorial, I'm going to show you how to close out the remainder of the tech tree in two missions.

However, there is a caveat:  they are not short missions.  You will go to Mimnus, and then the Mun.  You will land at all of their biomes, get the Science and bring it back to Kerbin.  Each of these two missions will take several hours.

One thing I should mention is that in the previous tutorial, the craft designs I provided were very specific, and even though there were other ways you could go, it was a good idea to use those specific craft to get through the tutorial.  In this tutorial however, the ships I provide are just one example.  Feel free to design a ship you think might do the job more effectively.  You really just need a lander that has the required science instruments and enough dV to land, hop to a couple other biomes, and get back into orbit to dock with the refueling/transfer module, and you need a transfer module that has enough fuel to get to the Mun or Mimnus, refuel the lander about five times, and get back to Kerbin.

The Goal

So how much Science do you need to unlock the remainder of the Tech Tree?

Cost of unlocking Tier 6 = 13 x 160 = 2080 Science
Cost of unlocking Tier 7 = 12 x 300 = 3600 Science
Cost of unlocking Tier 8 = 11 x 550 = 6050 Science
Cost of unlocking Tier 9 = 4 x 1000 = 4000 Science

The Goal: Get 15730 Science

Preparation

Before you can start either one of these missions, you'll need to do a few other things first.

Work contracts until you have $600k.  Once you do, go ahead and upgrade R & D Complex to Level 2.  

Use satellite contracts to get some satellites in orbit of the Mun and Mimnus.  Without satellites orbiting these two bodies, you are going to have long and frequent periods of time in which you'll be without a signal to KSC.  Since a scientist will be piloting the lander, that means you will not be able to set or remove maneuver nodes, and you will also not have the ability to transmit Science back to Kerbin during these periods.

Research Advanced Electrics for 160 Science.  This will give you access to extendable solar panels, which may not seem that important, but it makes a big difference.  During testing, there were hundreds of times that I was cursing myself as I had to keep the ship pointed a certain way to keep my fixed solar panels receiving sunlight, or when they were totally obstructed by something else when landed.

Mission One:  Mimnus

step 1
Build and launch Mimnus Lander

Jc0qAXi.png

step 2
Build and launch Mimnus Transfer Module

KEuYGcz.png

Rendezvous with Lander
Dock with Lander

pF6TpDb.png

step 3
Build and launch Fuel Tanker

gwCddVb.png

Rendezvous with Mimnus craft
Dock with Mimnus craft
Top up all fuel tanks on Mimnus craft

After the Mimnus craft is completely fueled and ready to go, undock the Fuel Tanker.  You can either deorbit the tanker, or you can leave it in LKO for use as the beginnings of a space station or fuel depot.

step 4
Get in high orbit of Mimnus
Take the following Science readings

Get EVA Report, keep data 
Do Crew Report, keep data  
Log temperature, keep data 
Log pressure, keep data 
Observe Materials Bay, keep data  
Observe Mystery Goo, keep data  

You should get about 169 Science

step 5
Get in low orbit of Mimnus
Take the following Science readings

Log pressure, keep data 

You should get about 240 Science

step 6

There are nine biomes to explore on Mimnus.

Greater Flats
Great Flats
Flats
Lesser Flats
Poles
Highlands
Midlands
Lowlands
Slopes

Take the Lander down to the surface, and hop from biome to biome, getting Science readings at each one.  When you're low on fuel, get back into orbit, rendezvous with the Transfer Module to refuel.  Repeat.

Log pressure, keep data
Go EVA
Right click command pod, store experiments
Boost upward with RCS, get EVA Report, keep data
Take Surface Sample, keep data
Right click command pod, take data
Right click thermometer, take data
Right click pressure scanner, take data
Right click Materials Bay, collect data, restore
Right click Mystery Goo, collect data, restore
Board command pod
Observe Materials Bay, transmit data
Observe Mystery Goo, transmit data
Right click Materials Bay, restore
Right click Mystery Goo, restore
Board command pod

For every biome, you get 522 Science for the experiments that you keep, and another 82 for the ones you transmit, for a total of 604 per biome.

604 x 9 biomes = 5436 Science
plus 169 Science for readings in high orbit
plus 240 Science for readings in low orbit
Total Science: 5845

Once you complete exploring every biome, return to Kerbin orbit.  Since this Transfer Module is meant to be reusable and left in orbit, you'll need to launch a capsule into orbit to bring your Scientist home, and return all that juicy Science.

If you have the funds, upgrade the R & D Complex to Level 3.  If not, you will need to work contracts to raise the funds.  The upgrade is necessary in order to unlock the GRAVMAX Negative Gravioli Detector, which is needed to get enough Science to unlock the rest of the Tech Tree.

Heavier Rocketry
Advanced Electrics (if you don't already have it)
Precision Engineering
Advanced Exploration
Advanced Landing
Electronics
Scanning Tech
Field Science
Advanced Science Tech

With the Science you have left, unlock whichever nodes you want.

Mission Two:  Mun

step 1
Build and launch Mun Lander

LFf1FUP.png

step 2
Build and launch Mun Transfer Module

B3MFuYF.png

Rendezvous with Lander
Dock with Lander

step 3
Build and launch Fuel Tank Module

3IHF9Jd.png

Rendezvous with Mun craft

cOCYJIA.png

Dock with Mun craft

step 4
Build and launch a second Fuel Tank Module
Rendezvous with Mun craft
Dock with Mun craft

eg2HbVe.png

Try to dock the Fuel Tank Modules as straight as possible.  But if they're just a few degrees off, don't worry.  The ship will fly straight, but it will slowly roll during burns.  It has a calming effect.

unt6Q1p.png

Once the Fuel Tank Modules are docked, you can decouple the launch stages (the section behind the decouplers) and deorbit them.  However, if there's still a substantial amount of fuel in them, you have the option of using them for part of the transfer burn.  It's always better to have more fuel and not need it than to need more fuel and not have it, after all.  The only downside is that they will be a contribution the your growing collection of floating space debris.

There are seventeen biomes to explore on the Mun.

Poles
Polar Lowlands
Polar Crater
Highlands
Highland Craters
Midlands
Midland Craters
Lowlands
Northeast Basin
Farside Basin
Northwest Crater
East Farside Crater
Canyons
Farside Crater
East Crater
Twin Craters
Southwest Crater

step 5
Get in high polar orbit of the Mun
From Polar orbit, log gravity scan from high space for each biome
You should get about 748 Science

step 6
Get in low polar orbit of the Mun
From Polar orbit, log gravity scan from space near each biome
You should get about 1122 Science

step 7
Again, take the Lander down to the surface, and hop from biome to biome, getting Science readings at each one.  When you're low on fuel, get back into orbit, rendezvous with the Transfer Module to refuel.  Repeat.

Log pressure, keep data    
Log seismic, keep data    
Log gravity scan, keep data    
Go EVA    
Take Surface Sample, keep data    
Right click command pod, take data
Right click thermometer, take data
Right click pressure scanner, take data
Right click Materials Bay, collect data, restore
Right click Mystery Goo, collect data, restore
Board command pod
Observe Materials Bay, transmit data    
Observe Mystery Goo, transmit data    
Right click Materials Bay, restore
Right click Mystery Goo, restore
Board command pod

For every biome, you get 560 Science for the experiments that you keep, and another 65 for the ones you transmit, for a total of 625 per biome.

625 x 17 biomes = 10625 Science
plus 748 Science for readings in high orbit
plus 1122 Science for readings in low orbit
Total Science: 12495

12495!  Dayumm, son!  If you're playing stock, you're not even going to need all that.

But many of you play with lots of mods that add advanced technology to the game.  Some of my personal favorites are DSEV, the Near Future mods, the Alcubierre Drive mod, and of course a mod that I have some small amount of direct involvement in, Deep Freeze.  Mods like these will need large amounts of Science to unlock those parts.  The tech node that contains the Alcubierre Drive alone costs a whopping 10000 Science.  It's a good thing that there are many other planets and moons in KSP to explore and get Science from.  And with everything from the stock tech tree unlocked, you can build really nice ships to take you there.

You'll return the Science to kerbin the same way as before.  Next, well, you know what's next.  Unlock the rest of the tech tree.  

Feel free to let me know in the comments how this approach works out for you, or if I got anything wrong, or if you have an idea for how this approach can be improved.

Example ships for all of the missions in this tutorial can be found here.

Edited by MerlinsMaster

29 minutes ago, vladiano said:

Hi and thank you for the extensive tutorial! Tried using the craft you supplied but getting an error that I'm missing a part called "EngineerChip" - is this part of a mod? Thought this was a stock thread...

EngineerChip is probably from Kerbal Engineer Redux. You can find a download in this post. If it is the same chip in this .craft, all it does is is display useful information about your ship while in flight.

Edited by BigFatStupidHead

2 hours ago, vladiano said:

Hi and thank you for the extensive tutorial! Tried using the craft you supplied but getting an error that I'm missing a part called "EngineerChip" - is this part of a mod?

Oh, boy.  My sincerest apologies.  I was using Kerbal Engineer Redux when designing the craft for this tutorial, and I forgot to take the KER parts out before posting them.  I will remove those parts and repost the craft files ASAP.

Highly appreciate the guide, MerlinsMaster - it is exactly what I needed to get me out of a "what's next" moment and excellently captures the concepts of assembled-in-space craft, space stations and orbiter/lander for us <100hr noobs just clawing away at KSP. I now have a much better understanding of all of this, thanks to this post.

A couple of questions though:

Why did you place two OKTOs in the lander? Maybe something I'm not familiar with but I'd rather spend the 100kg on sth else if there is no direct advantage.
Is the Minmus tanker supposed to fly to Minmus together with the Transfer Module or just refuel it in LKO and undock? If it's the latter, it's a bit overbuilt considering the TM gets into orbit with just 0.5-1 of its final stage 3 fuel containers but I do appreciate that once in orbit it the tanker is an asset that can perform its role in plenty other future missions or as starter for a space station.
On the Moon tankers, is that decouple ring between tanks to jettison the empty fuel container and engine after docking with the Moon Transfer Module? If so, brilliant idea -thank you- but it's not really clear if that is the point in guide or if I'm better off holding onto the extra 2 Poodles for extra thrust... maybe it's a preference thing, sacrifice a bit of dV to be able to perform maneuvers faster and thus more precisely around the node.

Again - thank you for the guide!

10 hours ago, vladiano said:

Why did you place two OKTOs in the lander? Maybe something I'm not familiar with but I'd rather spend the 100kg on sth else if there is no direct advantage.

Sorry about that.  When I was designing it, I originally had it clipped in the Materials Bay, but then changed my mind and forgot about it.  I'll update the craft file ASAP.

10 hours ago, vladiano said:

Is the Minmus tanker supposed to fly to Minmus together with the Transfer Module or just refuel it in LKO and undock? If it's the latter, it's a bit overbuilt considering the TM gets into orbit with just 0.5-1 of its final stage 3 fuel containers but I do appreciate that once in orbit it the tanker is an asset that can perform its role in plenty other future missions or as starter for a space station.

The Mimnus tanker is intended to dock with the Transfer Module in LKO, refuel it and then undock.  I designed it so it can be deorbited afterwards, but I like your idea of keeping it in LKO for use as part of a space station or fuel depot.

11 hours ago, vladiano said:

On the Moon tankers, is that decouple ring between tanks to jettison the empty fuel container and engine after docking with the Moon Transfer Module? If so, brilliant idea -thank you- but it's not really clear if that is the point in guide or if I'm better off holding onto the extra 2 Poodles for extra thrust... maybe it's a preference thing, sacrifice a bit of dV to be able to perform maneuvers faster and thus more precisely around the node.

You can jettison those before you leave LKO, if you like.  The original intent for those was just to get the fuel tanker into orbit and rendezvoused with the ship, but there is plenty of fuel left in those and it seems silly to let it go to waste.  And the extra thrust, while unnecessary, is always nice.  The only downside is that once you decouple them, they will be forever in a large, highly elliptical orbit between Kerbin and the Mun.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.