[1.3.x/1.4.x/1.5.x/1.6.x/1.7.x/1.8.x/1.9.x] B9 Procedural Wings Fork - Go big or go home update (40% larger wings)

Jebman82

7 hours ago, Kerbal101 said:

Thanks, but same result, all three broken in this environment. That is the only parts with problem, stock shaders work everywhere. I think changes in Unity cause it then and they are not evident in Dx/Win

some mods have seperate shader for different systems bundled, but i dont know how to write them either. B9 PWING uses a moded version of stock shader so...

Edited by Me1_base

Looks like it's time for an update. I think shaders have been avoid for too long. DirectX11 support needs to happen. I've not had to create shaders before but do have basic unity, blender skills. Will see how it goes. anyone who can give some pointers or links to useful info that would be great!

1 hour ago, Jebman82 said:

Looks like it's time for an update. I think shaders have been avoid for too long. DirectX11 support needs to happen. I've not had to create shaders before but do have basic unity, blender skills. Will see how it goes. anyone who can give some pointers or links to useful info that would be great!

I'm noob when comes to blender and pretty much useless when comes to unity. But, I think that you will get most useful info in KSP forums, to get it right for KSP needs:

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/forum/15-modelling-and-texturing-discussion/

59 minutes ago, kcs123 said:

IIR, @jrodriguez, you were the saviour of this mod  too when shader/texture rebuild was necessary several KSP version ago when SQUAD was switching game engine. Am I right, or I no longer recall things properly ?

Yes I did it. This mod is something that I need not only to design beautiful planes but for BDArmory Modular missiles

The symmetry bug is still there.

I suspect, the mod/game does not correctly calculate the part's individual centre of lift when mirroring tapered control surfaces.

Wings seem fine, though.

aircraft with installed surfaces:

WZt9Hos.png

aircraft without installed surfaces:

m5m4Ebb.jpg

strange glitch while positioning control surfaces on vehicle:

zFNLEAn.jpg

Edited by NippyFlippers
typos

I have spent the last hour googling "ksp roll stability design," then finally had the presence of mind to check here. Sure enough, this version has asymmetrical lift when using control surfaces in my case as well. 

I also tried placing a copy of each control surface independently (no mirroring), and still they are asymmetrical. though the imbalance switched sides.

Out of curiosity I did a series of test to see if it was placement order or creation order (in a situation where I place each side independently, no mirroring) that decided which had a higher lift, and it appear that the first one created has lower lift. The copy had more lift. I even made two copies of  But when actually mirroring, the one I actually place had higher lift, vs the mirrored one.

Something about the way one side will automatically flip to orient itself as I go to place it (when placed on the opposite side of the already-placed first control surface) seems to be related. The placement ghost is shaped right, and the lift is correctly balanced, but the texture is upside down. then when you click to place it, the part flips and the lift goes asymmetrical.

EDIT: and yes this is with tapered control surface, because it seem to be mirroring the shape but not the lift balance of the individual control surface. non-tapered control surface likely have the same issue, but the lift is balanced in them any way so it doesn't end up being a problem

Edited by ztoundas
addendum

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

For now I just build out one wing, control surfaces and all, and mirror it once it's finished - this seems to avoid the bulk of the problem, although it's possible my designs just don't suffer as much from it. One problem I haven't managed to tackle yet is control surfaces being modified when loaded as a subassembly - often one side is flipped and rotated 180 degrees.

Would just like to say I'm tremendously thankful this mod exists and is actively maintained, but I really really hope KSP2 has stock support for procedural parts, or is at least far easier to work with.

Edited by Parasox

On 1/4/2020 at 8:54 AM, spacebruv said:

I'm on 1.7.3 and I cant get anything to show in the editor. When I go to new game settings I see the different graphics adjustments for this mod. But none of the parts show up in the editor for some reason.

More description plz, including how u install the mod. Have u installed module manager?

On 1/3/2020 at 7:54 PM, spacebruv said:

I'm on 1.7.3 and I cant get anything to show in the editor. When I go to new game settings I see the different graphics adjustments for this mod. But none of the parts show up in the editor for some reason.

46 minutes ago, Me1_base said:

More description plz, including how u install the mod. Have u installed module manager?

Better yet, post a log file, that will have all that info and more

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.