[1.3.x/1.4.x/1.5.x/1.6.x/1.7.x/1.8.x/1.9.x] B9 Procedural Wings Fork - Go big or go home update (40% larger wings)

Jebman82

On 7/4/2019 at 2:14 PM, kcs123 said:

Probably. I have no issue with textures and didin't see much complains either. Are you forcing DX11 or OpenGL ? I have seen some people complaining that they have glitches with textures if they don't use DX9. Personaly, I'm using DX11 and only have minor problems on handful of SPH/VAB part icons. Parts on craft don't have any issues. But that is offtopic from this thread.

You may have some strange driver/GPU and in game settings combo or you don't have it installed properly.

I'm using opengl, so I guess that's the reason. I'll check it out in DX9

On 5/31/2019 at 4:06 AM, Gordon Dry said:

Well, it should, many ppl use it.

I posted the FR for openGL support long time ago and didn't get any response.

So I complied the shader for myself and using since then, completely forgot to share the result.

Here's a shader I'm using right now.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnCGI7wKaBjLlccEIqPfTjfaqlIZTQ?e=b3hhXd

Download the file and replace the original one in the AssetBundles folder in B9_Aerospace_ProceduralWings.

I literally changed nothing, but just clicked a checkbox in PlayerSettings in the Unity editor (I don't remember the option name) and complied the shader as-is.

Hope this helps.

@JWS

1. thank you
  2. I guess the reason for PRs to be forgotten is that the actual fork is a fork of a fork or something
  3. And this fork and the previous fork as well do not have the possibility to open issues
  4. The original original original fork (or so) is the one where a PR sits in, so I guess that one is yours

You could open a PR on the latest actual fork, though.
https://github.com/Rafterman82/B9-PWings-Fork

And close the old one and put a reference in it.

3 hours ago, JWS said:

I literally changed nothing, but just clicked a checkbox in PlayerSettings in the Unity editor

Yeah, I know of that one - and I never used the Unity editor or  created a mod.

But, I know that one. sigh.

Why not some devs? I always wonder about that.

Edited by Gordon Dry

9 hours ago, JWS said:

I posted the FR for openGL support long time ago and didn't get any response.

So I complied the shader for myself and using since then, completely forgot to share the result.

Here's a shader I'm using right now.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnCGI7wKaBjLlccEIqPfTjfaqlIZTQ?e=b3hhXd

Download the file and replace the original one in the AssetBundles folder in B9_Aerospace_ProceduralWings.

I literally changed nothing, but just clicked a checkbox in PlayerSettings in the Unity editor (I don't remember the option name) and complied the shader as-is.

Hope this helps.

Hey @JWS ping over PR be happy to add some more shader support :)

Also goes without saying that we all appreciate when other community members help out for the greater good!

• 2 weeks later...

@JWS FYI loading a vessel into VAB with B9 wings as fins, this is written to the log one time and later another time:

ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
Parameter name: index
  at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[UnityEngine.MeshFilter].get_Item (Int32 index) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at WingProcedural.WingProcedural.UpdateMaterials () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at WingProcedural.WingProcedural.RefreshGeometry () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at WingProcedural.WingProcedural.UpdateCounterparts () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at WingProcedural.WingProcedural.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename:  Line: -1)

Weird that this is written 2 times, either it should be one time or four times (because it's about 4 radially attached fins).

I'm having trouble getting the control surfaces to work with SAS on a large plane. When SAS is enabled the plane oscillates on the roll axis until it flips over. This happens even with no atmosphere.

If I replace the control surfaces with stock elevons the problem goes away. If I make procedural elevons in the same shape and placement as the stock elevons the oscillating comes back.

Installing FAR fixes this for whatever reason, but I'd rather not install FAR (worse performance, and causes elevons to flap like a humming bird at certain speeds :D).

NBS4K7h.jpg

EDIT: Installing AtmosphereAutoPilot fixed this. I don't even have to enable the auto-pilot. Simply having that installed fixes the wobbling when SAS is enabled, somehow. :huh:

Edited by w00tguy

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2019 at 4:06 AM, w00tguy said:

I'm having trouble getting the control surfaces to work with SAS on a large plane. When SAS is enabled the plane oscillates on the roll axis until it flips over. This happens even with no atmosphere.

EDIT: Installing AtmosphereAutoPilot fixed this. I don't even have to enable the auto-pilot. Simply having that installed fixes the wobbling when SAS is enabled, somehow. :huh:

Interesting! AtmosphereAutoPilot overwrites the control-surface symmetry (I have some problems with it sometimes, as I need the symmetry to manually control asymmetric crafts I build now and then), and (IIRC) have better fine tune adjustments.

So I don't think this is a part problem, but a physics one. Mainly because you said this happens without an atmosphere too - I think your control surfaces are so massive that they are messing with the CoG when they moves (and not only with the CoL).

Can you provide a minimal craft with this problem? This is something interesting to debug! :)

I'll see if I can get a minimal craft to demonstrate, but I think you're right about the control surfaces being too massive. Most of my planes have an oscillation problem, and usually lowering the authority on the surfaces levels them out. This has been the only one that ended up doing a complete roll. Probably there is a symmetry issue.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi there.thank you for update this great mod first,and i wonder if you could add some function that allows users to creat their wings by drawing the shape of the wings,just like the “squeeze” in 3D softwares like 3dmax?that wil be of great help to build even more ornamental aircrafts XD.

(sorry for my poor English,hope you could understand what I say XD)

On 10/20/2019 at 9:19 PM, DAWN said:

if you could add some function that allows users to creat their wings by drawing the shape of the wings,just like the “squeeze” in 3D softwares like 3dmax?

The answer is yes, you can modify the wing shape by dragging in some version of b9pw, and it was implemented in some other forks (already obsolete due to lack of maintainance), but the shape is limited to trapezium(at least 1 pair of parallel side). There will be too many parameters to define a wing if things other than trapezium is allowed.

I am a native speaker of Mandarin, you can PM me if language is an issue.

Edited by Me1_base

• 2 weeks later...

@kcs123 Well, this worked with B9 previously, but I am eager to retest now with 1.7.x
Its Linux, current MESA driver, [ OpenGL 4.5 ] in core and compat. profiles and I am not limiting it. Shaders set to max in settings. Linux has only OpenGL.

Thats my call parameters via [ KSP_Launcher ] script:

execute: rm -f "/home/userp/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal Space Program/prefs"
export LC_ALL=C
export __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1
Would disable the log, by linking it to /dev/null.
Would increase KSP binary naughtiness value.

Would finally execute: ./KSP.x86_64

So, nothing fancy. Same settings for when it worked, but there is also chance of something brake on MESA side, although its the only shader now that is misbehaving.

8 minutes ago, Me1_base said:

KSP runs on d3d11 as default now.

Yep, thanks for reminding me about that. And, yes there was issues with textures and OpenGL in the past for some people if you look one page back. Don't know enough how textures and shaders can be re-created again so it can properly work for both, OpenGL and DX, but at least we have narrowed down issue for maintainer.

7 minutes ago, NippyFlippers said:

I made these screenshots to clarify the issue.

You can see how the centre of lift dramatically shifts as the control surfaces get transformed.

ctOhabi.png3cGipMe.png

Ohh that is kinda weird. I have no clue about it. Submit an issue to Jebman82 on GitHub.

Edited by Me1_base

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.