[1.3.x/1.4.x/1.5.x/1.6.x/1.7.x/1.8.x/1.9.x] B9 Procedural Wings Fork - Go big or go home update (40% larger wings)

Jebman82

B9 Pwings Fork - The go big or go home update (40% larger wings)

This is an up to date fork of B9 Pwings. I have been maintaining this up to KSP 1.7

- Originally created by bac9 (a god amongst men): https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/94621-102-b9-aerospace-procedural-parts-040-updated-090615/

- Forked by Crzyrndm allowing support up to 1.3 (Thank you Crzyrndm for all the hours of support you have provided to this excellent mod): https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/117236-13-procedural-wings/

- Forked by jrodrigv - Huge thanks to him for spending his own time in regards to recompiling the shaders and updating the code needed to make this work

- Forked by me - Current maintainer

- Thank you to LinuxGamer for the CKAN update

- Thank you to Lisias T for a bunch of refactoring and fixing the mirror surface issues in stock aero

Instructions

- Find the parts in the Aero section in the editor

- Press "j" to bring up the part settings

- On the sliders left clicking the buttons on either side will do a large increment change, right click for a small increment change and fine tuning

- An alternate texture is provided. You can also overwrite the texture if you wish

- A test aircraft is supplied with control surfaces setup including spoilers, levcons, canards, flaps etc. This aircraft functions in stock aero and with FAR use it as a guide or to test if the mod is functioning

Possible Issues

- CKAN version might be out of date, will look into this

Recommended Mods (not required for Pwings to function)

- Atmospheric Autopilot (helps tame unstable aircraft designs) -

- PWB Fuel Balance (helps keep the CoM in the same spot while using fuel) -

- FAR (more realistic aero simulation for KSP, things tend to be less draggy but generally more challenging) -

- OPT Reconfig (nice spaceplane parts to play with) -

- Kerbal Foundries (has 4 types of procedural configurable landing gear) -

License

All licenses from the original mod apply to this fork, the plugin is distributed under the MIT license:

https://opensource.org/licenses/MIT

Version 1.0.0 (see below for download links)

Minor update

Updated to 1.9.1

- Merged with jrodrigv branch for new asset bundle

Version 0.91 (see below for download links)

Minor update

Small update to Pwings, 0.90 aircraft should work fine with it

- Increased wing edge size to account for larger wings
- Set surface sliders back to int 1f so slider snaps accordingly
- Craft built in 0.90 should function fine in 0.91
- Updated assembly version (thanks @Me1_base)
- Added test craft for use with and without FAR (stock parts + pwings thanks @kcs123 & @Snoman314 for the suggestion)

Version 0.90 (see below for download links)

Improvements/Housekeeping

• Removed "Show Wing Data" on part right click
  • Moved key values from "Show Wing Data" to always show in editor on part right click
  • Merged PR containing mirror fixes for stock aero
  • Increased length, width, height on all parts
  • Refined increments (use right and left click on the buttons either side of sliders for fine increments)
  • Removed App Launch Icon (no longer needed)
  • Recompiled against 1.7 KSP
  • Tested with and without FAR
  • Removed .version file
  • No dependencies

Version 0.80 (see below for download links)

Improvements/Housekeeping

• Recompile for 1.6.1
  • Even larger wings (yes I heard you all make obscenely large SSTO's)

Version 0.71 (see below for download links)

Bugfix

• Fix for incorrectly scaled textures

Version 0.70 (see below for download links)

Housekeeping:

• Recompiled against KSP 1.5.1 (stock) and tested

Version 0.60 (see below for download links)

New features:

• Increase root width of main wing / all moving control surface from 16 to 20 units
  • Increase tip width of main wing / all moving control surface from 16 to 20 units
  • Increase length of main wing / all moving control surface from 16 to 20 units
  • Increase length of main wing / all moving control surface from 8 to 10 units
  • Increase length of control surface from 8 to 10 units
  • Added tiny increment as float for control surface offset root and tip increment
  • Changed control surface offset root/width calls to use tiny float (0.0.5f)

Housekeeping:

• Recompiled with KSP 1.4.3 DLL files

Bug Fixes:

• Reduced limits of control surface root and tip offset from -6 units/6 units to -0.5 units/0.5 units

Known Issues:

• When using stock aero control surfaces set as spoilers/flaps will move in opposite directions. Interim Fix: Disable symmetry in the editor, place the control surface, press ALT + Mouse 1 on the part, duplicate, then roll/flip as needed with the QWEASD keys and place as close as you can to the opposite side of your craft. Or even better use FAR and enjoy full flap support.

Future Plans:

• I intend to support this mod for the foreseeable future
  • I will not be making any major functional changes, I intend to support newer versions of KSP and fine tune certain aspects, please factor this in when making feature requests
  • I hope to create a stock aero variant with a different set of part.cfg files to see if I can resolve the outstanding known issue of flaps and spoilers moving the wrong way in stock aero - FIXED
  • I may look to update some of the procedural textures being used on the parts
  • I plan to look into why the wings are so heavy by default (work around is to use FAR and adjust wing mass value) - FIXED
  • I plan to look into why the wings are a little draggy but will wait for a formal release of FAR into 1.4.3 - FIXED
  • I hope I can update the CKAN file so the RO guys can pull this down in there efforts to get RO ready for 1.4.3 - FIXED

Download for KSP 1.9 (Github):

https://github.com/Rafterman82/B9-PWings-Fork/releases/tag/1.0.0

Download for KSP 1.8 (Github):

https://github.com/Rafterman82/B9-PWings-Fork/releases/tag/1.0.0

Download for KSP 1.7 (Github):

https://github.com/Rafterman82/B9-PWings-Fork/releases/tag/0.91

Download for KSP 1.6.1 (Github):

https://github.com/Rafterman82/B9-PWings-Fork/releases/tag/0.80

Download for KSP 1.5.1 (Github):

https://github.com/Rafterman82/B9-PWings-Fork/releases/tag/0.71

Download for KSP 1.4.1 (Github):

https://github.com/Rafterman82/B9-PWings-Fork/releases/tag/0.60

Download for KSP 1.3.1 (Github):

https://github.com/Rafterman82/B9-Pwings-Fork-Backport/releases/tag/0.1.0

Installation Instructions

1. Download the .zip file from the above link
  2. Extract the .zip file
  3. Copy the extracted folder to your GameData folder 

Note: No dependencies are required

Source (Github):

https://github.com/Rafterman82/B9-PWings-Fork

Screens

Please see the existing threads for screen shots of the UI and features of the mod

As you were.

Edited by Jebman82
Updated title

3 hours ago, BUGescape said:

does it work with 1.3.1?

You can use the previous version that Cryyrndm was supporting. It can be found here:

https://github.com/Crzyrndm/B9-PWings-Fork/releases/tag/0.40.13

However, he no longer maintains it, so if you find a problem you will be unlikely to get support. The above backport is also on CKAN AFAIK.

The reason this version cannot work on 1.3.1 is due to the change in Unity shaders when KSP was upgraded to 1.4.x. I suspect you are asking as you would like the bigger wings in 1.3.1? If this is the case and you want bigger wings let me know I’d be happy to compile a 1.3.1 version if there is demand for it. Would be a simple case of getting the 1.3.1 source and applying my changes, trivial development at most.

Edited by Jebman82

5 hours ago, memeconnoiseur said:

has this fixed the lack of detail in the selection of root and tip angles? that was by far my greates annoyance in the last version of procedural wings

Yes that is now resolved so it should be much easier to set the root and tip offsets on control surfaces.

22 hours ago, Jebman82 said:

If this is the case and you want bigger wings let me know I’d be happy to compile a 1.3.1 version if there is demand for it. 

First, thanks for taking over this mod. 

+1 for 1.3.1 here.  I'm just getting a new RO/RSS/RP0 Dev 1.3.1 going now.  It will be a while before they get to 1.4.x won't it?  Didn't they just release 1.3?

19 hours ago, Joker58th said:

+1 for 1.3.1 here.  I'm just getting a new RO/RSS/RP0 Dev 1.3.1 going now.  It will be a while before they get to 1.4.x won't it?  Didn't they just release 1.3?

Hi Joker58th, read you loud and clear. I’ve already made the changes on my local, just need to test before I release an updated version for 1.3.1. I should be able to release it today/tomorrow.

On 5/23/2018 at 6:30 PM, Joker58th said:

As promised please find a recompiled version for KSP 1.3.1 compatible with and without FAR. It still has the known issue for flaps and spoilers:

https://github.com/Rafterman82/B9-Pwings-Fork-Backport/releases/tag/0.1.0

7 hours ago, danfarnsy said:

Nice! This is just the nitpick in me, but these are actually 25% larger. You're underselling it. :)

As they say you should always under promise and then over deliver :D

Just now, waterlubber said:

Since you might be busy, what can I do to try to resolve the roll/inversion issue? Right now they seem to be fine for pitch/yaw but roll is inverted.

Hi waterlubber, can you give me more info so I can reproduce. I use KSP 1.4.3 with FAR and have no issues. I guess your on 1.3.1 or 1.4.3 but without FAR?

Yeah, no FAR, version 1.4.3. I placed them without symmetry so the flaps would deploy properly, they're attached to some big procedural wings towards the very back of the plane. I also have a set of canards up front. Pitch is working fine, but roll is inverted (which means I can't just set the actuation to -100 and invert them.)

Edited by waterlubber

16 minutes ago, waterlubber said:

Yeah, no FAR, version 1.4.3. I placed them without symmetry so the flaps would deploy properly, they're attached to some big procedural wings towards the very back of the plane. I also have a set of canards up front. Pitch is working fine, but roll is inverted (which means I can't just set the actuation to -100 and invert them.)

Hi waterlubber, thank you for giving me the details of your setup. It does appear fixing the symmetry is the most in demand feature. I will now begin working on resolving this in 1.3.1 and 1.4.3 for users without FAR. I can't give an ETA as I need to track down the problem first. But would hope the next release contains a fix for this. Stay tuned!

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so I'm experiencing an issue that I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction on: when I attach a procedural wing, I don't get the "bland" texture option. The one that most folks are using that basically has the texture of large, flat metal plates. Instead, both "uniform" and "standard" texture options give me the tight-knit plating texture, per the picture I've included. Reinforced and thermal plating textures both work as normal, but I'd really like to get the other texture so that aircraft wings look more realistic. I've changed the hue to purple so that it's easier to see the pattern I'm referring to. Anyone know what's up?

https://imgur.com/a/WRQ6ixy

Edited by Kardea

13 hours ago, Kardea said:

Ok, so I'm experiencing an issue that I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction on: when I attach a procedural wing, I don't get the "bland" texture option. The one that most folks are using that basically has the texture of large, flat metal plates. Instead, both "uniform" and "standard" texture options give me the tight-knit plating texture, per the picture I've included. Reinforced and thermal plating textures both work as normal, but I'd really like to get the other texture so that aircraft wings look more realistic. I've changed the hue to purple so that it's easier to see the pattern I'm referring to. Anyone know what's up?

https://imgur.com/a/WRQ6ixy

That is really quite weird, mind posting a screen grab of your game data folder so we can try to locate which mod is causing this (assuming you haven't tried the mod on it's own using a vanilla install?

On 5/23/2018 at 6:30 PM, Joker58th said:

Hey Joker, hope all is cool with you. Was the 1.3.1 backport ok? Need me to make any tweaks?

2 hours ago, Jebman82 said:

Hey Joker, hope all is cool with you. Was the 1.3.1 backport ok? Need me to make any tweaks?

Thanks Jebman, I stepped away from RO 1.3.1 for a bit playing around with a 1.4.3 career.  I'm sure I'll be getting back to it but I really wanted to do some aircraft stuff in addition to rockets in career mode.  The resize mods just kill the realism feel of aircraft with the runway bump issues.  That said, I don't recall having any issues in 1.3.1.  I do use the mod extensively in my 1.4.3 career with the aircraft so again, thanks for your work on this.

20 hours ago, Jebman82 said:

That is really quite weird, mind posting a screen grab of your game data folder so we can try to locate which mod is causing this (assuming you haven't tried the mod on it's own using a vanilla install?

Hey, I'll appreciate any help I can get! Here's a link to a pic of my GameData folder. Let me know if you see anything that'd cause this issue: https://imgur.com/a/blxOZKp

34 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

How well does this integrate with career mode?

To clarify, does it limit the size of the wings depending on what has been researched? 

What about the Community Tech Tree?

No, the size of wings is not limited depending on researched tech tree node, none of PW version have such thing implemented from KSP 0.25.

I never felt that either of PW was overpowered in career mode. You are still limited in craft size trough  SPH/VAB limitation as well as weight.

In stock tech tree I think it is placed somewhere in middle of tech tree and IIRC it does support CTT too, but take this with a grain of salt. I was playing with SETICtt almost exclusively fro several past career that I was able to play due to limited free time. SETICtt adds aditional tech tree node with PW very early in career. It also allows you to avoid researching stock wing parts as you probably not need any other wing parts. With some exceptions like canards and similar that can be useful for early rockets.

I never got impression that career game is unbalanced because of it.

On 6/13/2018 at 1:56 PM, Jebman82 said:

Any update on my GameData folder? I'm happy to send whatever other info/file might be needed.

I was wondering what you did to increase it to 20% from original I have been using B9 Procedural Parts Modified which lets you increase the size of the wings as much as you want in any direction but its not being updated for the new KSP 1.4 to 1.4.3 and I would love it if you can either have an alteritate version of this mod that lets you do this or tell me modify it to work in 1.4. 

see I make large SSTs and when I use this mod the wings just wont go big enough. 

here is my Lockheed L-2000 SST with the B9 Procedural Parts Modified mod

2qapd3l.png

here is the same aircraft and view with this mod

2aexrpc.png

hope you can maybe give us an mod version like that it would be amazing its the only thing stopping me using the new kerbal version and I would love to get up to date. 

thanks!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.