[1.3.x/1.4.x/1.5.x/1.6.x/1.7.x/1.8.x/1.9.x] B9 Procedural Wings Fork - Go big or go home update (40% larger wings)

Jebman82

OK, I've duplicated the exact same bug with a clean install, with just FAR and procedural wings.

GDrive log file link

Imgur screenshot link

Inside the wing screenshot.

Ckan install screenshot

Same as before: Voxels look fine in the SPH pre-launch. Flight goes terribly wrong, due to no lift, then after reverting to the SPH, the wings have no voxels anymore.

At no point have I used old craft, they've always been fresh builds.

Steps taken: I started the new install. Created a sandbox career. Opened the SPH. Built the simple jet plane with procedural wings. Checked the voxels - looks good. Launch. Try to take off - no lift, bounce off the end of the runway and crash. Revert to SPH. Check Voxels - voxels on the wings are gone. Take screenshot. Grab log file.

KSP version is 1.6.1.

Edited by Snoman314
added wing interior screenshot.

2 hours ago, Snoman314 said:

OK, I've duplicated the exact same bug with a clean install, with just FAR and procedural wings.

GDrive log file link

Imgur screenshot link

Inside the wing screenshot.

Ckan install screenshot

Same as before: Voxels look fine in the SPH pre-launch. Flight goes terribly wrong, due to no lift, then after reverting to the SPH, the wings have no voxels anymore.

At no point have I used old craft, they've always been fresh builds.

Steps taken: I started the new install. Created a sandbox career. Opened the SPH. Built the simple jet plane with procedural wings. Checked the voxels - looks good. Launch. Try to take off - no lift, bounce off the end of the runway and crash. Revert to SPH. Check Voxels - voxels on the wings are gone. Take screenshot. Grab log file.

KSP version is 1.6.1.

Does the same thing happen to stock crafts like aeris 3a? I mean the problem of no lift.

I'll have to go and check one of the stock craft when I'm home again, but the stock wings work fine.

Edit: OK, confirmed. The stock craft work fine, as do craft I build with stock parts.

Just spotted this though:

[EXC 16:59:01.467] ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
Parameter name: index
	System.Collections.Generic.List`1[UnityEngine.MeshFilter].get_Item (Int32 index)
	WingProcedural.WingProcedural.UpdateMaterials ()
	WingProcedural.WingProcedural.RefreshGeometry ()
	WingProcedural.WingProcedural.UpdateCounterparts ()
	WingProcedural.WingProcedural.Update ()

Latest log file

Edited by Snoman314

4 hours ago, Snoman314 said:

I'll have to go and check one of the stock craft when I'm home again, but the stock wings work fine.

Edit: OK, confirmed. The stock craft work fine, as do craft I build with stock parts.

System.Collections.Generic.List`1[UnityEngine.MeshFilter].get_Item (Int32 index)

Latest log file

JUST FIND OUT THAT WINGS DUN GENERATE LIFT IF LARGE ENOUGH IN FRESH INSTALLnvZWbBj.jpg

Edited by Me1_base
New finding

4 hours ago, Snoman314 said:

Latest log file

I found this is due to problem of FAR, avoid installing the latest version. It got some problem in 1.6

Edited by Me1_base

Release 0.9.0 is ready everyone!

• Removed "Show Wing Data" on part right click
  • Moved key values from "Show Wing Data" to always show in editor on part right click
  • Merged PR containing mirror fixes for stock aero
  • Increased length, width, height on all parts (control surfaces can be levcons now if you wish)
  • Refined increments (use right and left click on the buttons either side of sliders for fine increments)
  • Removed App Launch Icon (no longer needed)
  • Recompiled against 1.7 KSP
  • Tested with and without FAR
  • Removed .version file
  • No dependencies

I've spent about 2 days testing this release. Everything works nicely on a bone stock install and with FAR installed.

Known Issue

- Increased offsets for root and tip on control surfaces, this is to give more freedom however the tips can cross if the values are too high...don't be saving craft with dodgy offsets as I don't know what will happen

Download

https://github.com/Rafterman82/B9-PWings-Fork/releases/tag/0.90

Edited by Jebman82

2 hours ago, Jebman82 said:

• Moved key values from "Show Wing Data" to always show in editor on part right click
  • Increased length, width, height on all parts (control surfaces can be levcons now if you wish)
  • Refined increments (use right and left click on the buttons either side of sliders for fine increments)
  • Removed .version file
  • No dependencies

I've spent about 2 days testing this release. Everything works nicely on a bone stock install and with FAR installed.

Known Issue

- Increased offsets for root and tip on control surfaces, this is to give more freedom however the tips can cross if the values are too high...don't be saving craft with dodgy offsets as I don't know what will happen

Download

Just updated to 0.90, and the same bug is still present. procedural wings generate no lift.

screenshot

Maybe to provide craft file with only stock + B9PW parts, for easier debuging ?

Also, it may be CKAN culprit for faulty install. It does not happen often, but it happens that metafiles for CKAN got messed up. It is worth to try with manual install of FAR, MFI, MM and B9PW.

Edited by kcs123

2 minutes ago, Snoman314 said:

Well, it's literally any B9PW that I create, but OK. I gotta head out to work in 5 minutes, but I'll upload one later today.

I was too slow with editing my post for two seconds :(

it may be CKAN culprit for faulty install. It does not happen often, but it happens that metafiles for CKAN got messed up. It is worth to try with manual install of FAR, MFI, MM and B9PW. 

Defrinetly something weird happening that is hard to detect.

Edited by kcs123

58 minutes ago, Snoman314 said:

Just updated to 0.90, and the same bug is still present. procedural wings generate no lift.

screenshot

I did test the recompile I did with FAR extensively. I had no problems with any of the test craft. On my install I always run FAR as I hate stock aero. Also FAR calculates lift based on voxels as a user mentioned above. The wings have a drag cube calculated when created or edited. Am I correct in thinking your install is from CKAN. If so I’m pretty sure that version might be borked. Try and install the new version manually.

1 hour ago, Jebman82 said:

I did test the recompile I did with FAR extensively. I had no problems with any of the test craft. On my install I always run FAR as I hate stock aero. Also FAR calculates lift based on voxels as a user mentioned above. The wings have a drag cube calculated when created or edited. Am I correct in thinking your install is from CKAN. If so I’m pretty sure that version might be borked. Try and install the new version manually.

When I installed 0.90, I manually deleted the 0.80 folder, and manually added the 0.90 folder, and got the same behaviour.

Later today I'll start fresh with a new vanilla install, and manually download and install B9PW and FAR, plus dependencies, and try again.

4 hours ago, Jebman82 said:

I've done another clean setup. Vanilla game, manual install of MM, MFI, FAR & B9PW. No change, the bug is still present.

If anything it's gotten worse. I'm now sometimes (not always) seeing the voxels disappear partway through making the craft flyable (I started checking the voxels periodically, after every few actions in the editor). Although this might have happened at some point before, without me noticing. I only started checking the voxels before launch after I noticed there was a problem.

May I ask: Are you testing against craft you're building new, or just loading old craft that worked previously? It seems possible that the thing is borking out when the wings are being edited.

As you can see from @Me1_base's post above, it's not just me with the problem.

I've tried a few other things:

• Placing the PWing on different sides of the craft, with mirroring, in case there's an orientation component getting flipped when placed on the other side - No change, bug still present.
  • Running with and without the usual command line parameters I use - No change, bug still present.
  • Running the game from the vanilla launcher (something I've never done before)  - No change, bug still present.
Edited by Snoman314

26 minutes ago, Snoman314 said:

I've done another clean setup. Vanilla game, manual install of MM, MFI, FAR & B9PW. No change, the bug is still present.

If anything it's gotten worse. I'm now sometimes (not always) seeing the voxels disappear partway through making the craft flyable (I started checking the voxels periodically, after every few actions in the editor). Although this might have happened at some point before, without me noticing. I only started checking the voxels before launch after I noticed there was a problem.

May I ask: Are you testing against craft you're building new, or just loading old craft that worked previously? It seems possible that the thing is borking out when the wings are being edited.

• Placing the PWing on different sides of the craft, with mirroring, in case there's an orientation component getting flipped when placed on the other side - No change, bug still present.
  • Running with and without the usual command line parameters I use - No change, bug still present.
  • Running the game from the vanilla launcher (something I've never done before)  - No change, bug still present.

Built a new craft for all testing purposes. Are there any physical symptoms to the bug? i.e are you unable to fly?

2 hours ago, Snoman314 said:

As I have mentioned above, you should manually install This version of FAR instead of the latest one in KSP 1.6, problem should be solved.

2 hours ago, Jebman82 said:

Built a new craft for all testing purposes. Are there any physical symptoms to the bug? i.e are you unable to fly?

I can still fly usually, due to body lift from the fuselage mostly. Best symptom is turning on the aerodynamic vectors like in @Me1_base's screen shot further up, and noting the lack of lift from the wings.

9 minutes ago, Me1_base said:

As I have mentioned above, you should manually install This version of FAR instead of the latest one in KSP 1.6, problem should be solved.

I missed that! I'll try that when I get home again.

11 hours ago, Jebman82 said:

• Removed .version file
  • No dependencies

Known Issue

Download

Maybe you should change the version number in AssemblyInfo too

Minor update

Small update to Pwings, 0.90 aircraft should work fine with it

- Increased wing edge size to account for larger wings
- Set surface sliders back to int 1f so slider snaps accordingly
- Craft built in 0.90 should function fine in 0.91
- Updated assembly version (thanks @Me1_base)
- Added test craft for use with and without FAR (stock parts + pwings thanks @kcs123 & @Snoman314 for the suggestion this should help when debugging and for new users)

https://github.com/Rafterman82/B9-PWings-Fork/releases/tag/0.91

@dkavolis thank you for your continued support of FAR, I love that mod so much!

@Snoman314 glad everything is working for you!

Edited by Jebman82

On 3/24/2019 at 2:34 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Yes, I'm reviving a mod RetroFuture, which used the old pWings.  It has textures for it's wings, Id like to make them the standard texture for the parts in the mod

@linuxgurugamer so I plan on making some improvements. Probably over the next few days:

- You mentioned a few pages back about scaling root of a new wing to tip of a parent wing. This should work fine now using the “Base” button in the popup

- Solar powered Pwings - This shouldn’t be hard to do. Adding the new value to the slider array and pointing it to a texture or certain colour value settings isn’t tricky. You mention the old pWings texture, can you post a link to the exact one so I can test around? There is already a surface area calculation used for FAR in this mod. The same value could be used in a function to calculate the amount of power it should generate. Having the part functions to turn the panels on and off should be straight forward. I also remember an older solar panel style texture B9 did year back as well.

- Sweep slider, iirc in the old pWings you could press and hold a key, move your mouse horizontally and the wing would sweep accordingly? If this is the case, allowing that would add complexity. Can we maybe agree some offset parameters that allow you to do the same with the existing features?

- Update all CKAN versions

- Any suggestions on whether tech tree etc should be added?

- Any other ideas for the mod, improvements etc?

3 hours ago, Jebman82 said:

- Solar powered Pwings - This shouldn’t be hard to do. Adding the new value to the slider array and pointing it to a texture or certain colour value settings isn’t tricky. You mention the old pWings texture, can you post a link to the exact one so I can test around? There is already a surface area calculation used for FAR in this mod. The same value could be used in a function to calculate the amount of power it should generate. Having the part functions to turn the panels on and off should be straight forward. I also remember an older solar panel style texture B9 did year back as well. 

That will be nice improvement. It should also be made in such way that if you choose solar panel texture that wing weight is increased by factor related with same mentioned surface wing area. And when you already have to do that for solar panels maybe to add similar calculation for other texture type as well. For example, temperature shielded tiles may add some weight too as well as "reinforced" texture, but slightly less than shielded texture. Based on texture, wiing then can have different temperature resistance and strength with regards to aerodynamic failure.

Not sure how feasible it would be to accomplish because FAR is messing with wing mass and strength too. Also, issue may or may not arise when game try to calculate how well is solar texture is exposed to light. It may be situation when only small piece of wing is in shadow (close to hull, for example) and game calculate too low light exposure than it should be. But, I guess that it would not be too bad calculation over benefit that such wing piece provide. Much less parts necessary for craft and improved performance would be worth to try it.

20 hours ago, Jebman82 said:

- Added test craft for use with and without FAR (stock parts + pwings thanks @kcs123 & @Snoman314 for the suggestion this should help when debugging and for new users)

You are welcome, hopefully it will help in debugging and save some time to find exact issue sooner.

On 4/18/2019 at 8:06 PM, Jebman82 said:

- Sweep slider, iirc in the old pWings you could press and hold a key, move your mouse horizontally and the wing would sweep accordingly? If this is the case, allowing that would add complexity. Can we maybe agree some offset parameters that allow you to do the same with the existing features?

Some of the stuffs that old pw can do. It is kind of buggy.

On 4/19/2019 at 1:12 PM, Me1_base said:

Some of the stuffs that old pw can do. It is kind of buggy.

That actually shouldn’t be too hard. But I’d want some validation in place to prevent parts inverting. 

However, what would help me (and for any new feature) would be to define some user cases. As they are easier to develop and test. For example looking at the video above I could assert:

As a user I can move my mouse in one or two axis so that the length of the wing and offset changes accordingly.

I would add:

As a user when using my mouse to change the size of wings in any function values will not allow parts to invert and retain invalid values. 

With a few of these I can work on these as stories. I would stipulate that I wouldn’t want anything buggy going in.

I guess finally I would like to know the consensus on priority of any new suggested features. What would you all like added. Seems like solar powered wings is pretty high up there. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.