[1.3.x/1.4.x/1.5.x/1.6.x/1.7.x/1.8.x/1.9.x] B9 Procedural Wings Fork - Go big or go home update (40% larger wings)

Jebman82

On 9/14/2020 at 11:19 PM, CarnationRED said:

01010101lzy是你吗?我看你在spacedock发的mod了,不错哦。 不过好像并不是尺寸无限制,发射之后 还是有40的限制,厚度限制是4

Translation:

are you  01010101lzy?  I think the mod you posted on spacedock is pretty good. But it does not seem to be unlimited in size. After launch, there is still a size limit of 40 and a thickness limit of 4

Do you mean that "B9 PWings Modified" mod posted by me 3 years ago? It's long archived now, and most related features should already been merged into the new B9PW repositry. You're free to use any of the ideas to modify the current version if you like.

Archive repository: https://github.com/01010101lzy/B9-PWings-Fork-old

On 10/11/2020 at 6:39 PM, Daniel Prates said:

Wait. So a thicker wing will generate more lift (as it should)? That is great, I thought only area mattered.

Will a thicker wing also generate more drag?

No, mass is not related to thickness in b9 pw

10 hours ago, Me1_base said:

Yes

Ok thanks. 

Hmmmm ... maybe that is something to put on a to-do list, if you pardon my obnoxious suggestion. A typical challenge in aircraft design is the struggle for more lift versus less drag. If there were a way to introduce this notion in PW - maybe lift being a function of area+thickness, and drag also being a function of area+thickness, your hand would be forced on the delicate balance implied in designing airplanes best suited for carrying weight or achieving higher speeds.

I truly don't know whether this is easily done or impossible to do, as the mods stands. Sorry for my suggestion, I do not intent to nag. But if this is easy to do .... it would make the mod that much more realistic. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2020 at 1:34 AM, Daniel Prates said:

Ok thanks. 

Hmmmm ... maybe that is something to put on a to-do list, if you pardon my obnoxious suggestion. A typical challenge in aircraft design is the struggle for more lift versus less drag. If there were a way to introduce this notion in PW - maybe lift being a function of area+thickness, and drag also being a function of area+thickness, your hand would be forced on the delicate balance implied in designing airplanes best suited for carrying weight or achieving higher speeds.

I truly don't know whether this is easily done or impossible to do, as the mods stands. Sorry for my suggestion, I do not intent to nag. But if this is easy to do .... it would make the mod that much more realistic. 

Noted that KSP is a light weighted SIM game instead of aerodynamic analysis tool. It will be too complicated if airfoil comes into play as the relationship of relative thickness and lift coefficient is not linear. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/15/2020 at 4:43 AM, peachyG said:

for some reason the parts texture doesnt change, its this shiny metal one and i cant change it no matter what (only paint it)
also changing shapes of the edges makes them have this weird texture 
installed from ckan
lqh6xtKhVt8.jpg

I can second this, the leading and trailing edge TU textures for non-default shapes seems to be broken. [v1.0.0]

On 10/14/2020 at 1:37 PM, Galland1998 said:

So when I use the CarnationRed 1.0.0B version of the mod all of the wing textures no longer display.  Is that intended?  I am using the mod in a KSP 1.8.1 RSS/RP-1 install so maybe that has something to do with it.

[v1.0..0B] This one breaks textures even further, the top and bottom surface textures are now just stuck to white (even within the B9PW) interface. TU support is lost everywhere except on the section. Does anyone know any way to add TU support to the default B9PW textures instead of importing textures from Procedural parts like it does now?

BTW, I LOVE THE EDITING HANDLES in v1.0.0A/B, they make it so much easier to use

Edited by FlyrFliCatiPi

Im having an issue with the stock aerodynamics that isnt present with ferram aerospace. 

When i make one end of a control surface bigger or smaller than thr other end, so its more triangular than rectangular, it causes am asymetry in torque. When i enable the aerodynamic overlay thing with the lines, the red arrow for drag is central for all parts, and the yellow/blue line is in the same place, but the control surface it isnt. The yellow line for the control surface is offset to the left, causing a roll to the left when pitching up and the right when pitching down.

This doesnt happen with the all moving or regular wings as far as i can tell, nor is it happening with ferram.

Yeah I think the CKAN is borked or something, It showed up as an update for me a couple days ago but damned if I can find which repo has a new update? But I have the handle bars now, which I didn't have before the update.  It's confusing, there are so many different forks and releases for this mod. 

Edited by eberkain

1 hour ago, eberkain said:

Yeah I think the CKAN is borked or something, It showed up as an update for me a couple days ago but damned if I can find which preo has a new update? But I have the handle bars now, which I didn't have before the update.  It's confusing, there are so many different forks and releases for this mod. 

did you fix it? How? I have ships saved with this mod and i don't want to ruin the save. I don't know what was the previous version installed... Ckan

L/E. You gave me idea to look in Ckan and i installed the previous version from there, now it's working.

Edited by Acvila

Make a backup copy of your save folder, I do that every time I change mods in case something gets messed up you can always roll back. 

The OP links to version 1.0 by rafterman82 released Mar 8

Which it is forked from ver 0.93 by jrodrigv, but was released on Mar 14

CKAN appears to point at ver 0.40 hotfix 2 by tetraflon, which is from Sept 23

The last one is what I have installed now, and it has the handle bars to change wing shape.  

Make a backup copy of your save folder, I do that every time I change mods in case something gets messed up you can always roll back. 

The OP links to version 1.0 by rafterman82 released Mar 8

Which it is forked from ver 0.93 by jrodrigv, but was released on Mar 14

CKAN appears to point at ver 0.40 hotfix 2 by tetraflon, which is from Sept 23

The last one is what I have installed now, and it has the handle bars to change wing shape.  

Can you pls show me the direct link to the working one, the one with handle bars? I tested Version 1.0.0B and it doesn't work, for me, it's working only v 0.93 from CKAN, V 0.401(last one on CKAN) it's not working.

L.E. so, the problem is that i don't use FAR and i have MJ installed?... yeah, it's working with FAR...

Edited by Acvila

1 hour ago, Acvila said:

Can you pls show me the direct link to the working one, the one with handle bars? I tested Version 1.0.0B and it doesn't work, for me, it's working only v 0.93 from CKAN, V 0.401(last one on CKAN) it's not working.

L.E. so, the problem is that i don't use FAR and i have MJ installed?... yeah, it's working with FAR...

https://github.com/tetraflon/B9-PWings-Modified/releases/tag/0.401

This is the one I am using.  I do have FAR and MJ installed. 

12 minutes ago, eberkain said:

https://github.com/tetraflon/B9-PWings-Modified/releases/tag/0.401

This is the one I am using.  I do have FAR and MJ installed. 

Thx for your time, it's not working with MJ without FAR... i was playing without FAR si that was the problem, it should have MJ as incompatible on CKAN or FAR as dependency... However i have a lot of errors while in space center only. frame drops to 24 fps.

In current state i prefer to play without FAR, but MJ is over this mod, so, i stick with best mod for wings which is PW, not B9.

Edited by Acvila

sometimes the handled disappear and i get the following errors continiously and even the normal GUI doesn't work anymore

[EXC 16:55:11.765] NullReferenceException
    WingProcedural.WingProcedural.DetachHandles () (at <4f1d8e9f33264080a5f7f8f971d959da>:0)
    WingProcedural.WingProcedural.UpdateHandleGizmos () (at <4f1d8e9f33264080a5f7f8f971d959da>:0)
    WingProcedural.WingProcedural.Update () (at <4f1d8e9f33264080a5f7f8f971d959da>:0)
    UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

On 12/5/2020 at 8:53 AM, Acvila said:

Thx for your time, it's not working with MJ without FAR... i was playing without FAR si that was the problem, it should have MJ as incompatible on CKAN or FAR as dependency... However i have a lot of errors while in space center only. frame drops to 24 fps.

In current state i prefer to play without FAR, but MJ is over this mod, so, i stick with best mod for wings which is PW, not B9.

Indeed, I have done some testing and can confirm that I can not get the game to load with this mod without FAR installed.  A real bummer, always loved the procedural wings. 

@eberkain @Acvila Have you tried this fork, to see if it has the same MJ/FAR issue? vOv

https://spacedock.info/mod/2525/B9 Procedural Wings Modified Continued

Hehe... ninja'd by Kerburettor :P
Btw, the one I lined above, is a *continuation* and updated version based on CarnationRed's fork...

:rolleyes: .... Oi... soooo many forks of this mod to keep trac of.... lol

Edited by Stone Blue

yes, the tetraflon fork is the one I was unable to get to load without FAR.  

Huh... I just installed MJ and v0.401, and the game loads fine for me... vOv
Granted,  B9 PW is definately broken and not woring in this install :P

https://imgur.com/a/AQEE9an

Ahhh.... ok....
So, I first was installing PW from the *source* zip... and it loads fine, both w/wo MJ or FAR installed...

However, since PW itself wasnt woring for me, I tried installing PW from the *release* zip on SD...
And now my game hangs on load, saying thw WingStuff.dll is not compat with this vers of KSP...

Sooo... idk why there are other dlls (FAR), in the source zip, but not the release zip... also, I notice there is a hotfix *3* on the mater, that mebbe didnt get released.. vOv

Since PW doesnt seem to load by itself, on a fresh install, and poing around a little, I would tend to say there may be a build issue with v0.401 itself vOv

Also, I notice in the .version file, the last, closing bracket is missing a line return... not a big deal, other than triggering my OCD :P

Edited by Stone Blue

3 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

@eberkain @Acvila Have you tried this fork, to see if it has the same MJ/FAR issue? vOv

https://spacedock.info/mod/2525/B9 Procedural Wings Modified Continued

Hehe... ninja'd by Kerburettor :P
Btw, the one I lined above, is a *continuation* and updated version based on CarnationRed's fork...

:rolleyes: .... Oi... soooo many forks of this mod to keep trac of.... lol

It doesn't work... something about wingstuff.dll. I will keep only the old PWings, that was the best of them, even without GUI.

L.E. what bothers me is why they changed the CKAN version without showing dependencies, i lost a day to find which mod freeze my game to load... This is just wrong!

Edited by Acvila

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.