[1.3.x/1.4.x/1.5.x/1.6.x/1.7.x/1.8.x/1.9.x] B9 Procedural Wings Fork - Go big or go home update (40% larger wings)

Jebman82

35 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

@Jebman82

@Daniel Prates

I've changed the NETKan file so that FAR isn't a dependency

@linuxgurugamerplease investigate the history of things before you change them. This was added because people were having problems without FAR with the current fork:

https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/NetKAN/pull/8259

The OP is not up to date because it isn't owned by the current maintainer (because nobody took me up on the suggestion of organizing this mod's de facto "team" properly).

Since there have been no announcements or updates that this problem was fixed on the mod side of things, I'm going to go ahead and revert this CKAN change now before those problems return.

8 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

@linuxgurugamerplease investigate the history of things before you change them. This was added because people were having problems without FAR with the current fork:

The OP is not up to date because it isn't owned by the current maintainer (because nobody took me up on the suggestion of organizing this mod's de facto "team" properly).

Since there have been no announcements or updates that this problem was fixed on the mod side of things, I'm going to go ahead and revert this CKAN change now before those problems return.

Oh sorry.  I was going on the recent comments that FAR wasn't a dependency

Maybe it's ripe for an adoption?  I will look into creating the organization you suggested

Edited by linuxgurugamer

On 2/7/2021 at 9:06 AM, KSP dogfight master said:

is there anyway to bypass that?

Yes there is a hard coded value in the DLL for the min thickness and the increments. @linuxgurugamer is getting us reorganised so it could possibly be something that is looked at.

6 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Oh sorry.  I was going on the recent comments that FAR wasn't a dependency

Maybe it's ripe for an adoption?  I will look into creating the organization you suggested

So FAR isn't a hard dependancy, if FAR is detected then the voxel approach is used for lift calculation. However, without FAR the mod should work fine and will use a surface area calculation to work out the lift generated (I relatively simple bit of math). But the mod should work with or without FAR however, without FAR you cannot set the wing weight/strength (this feature does require FAR.

3 hours ago, Jebman82 said:

if FAR is detected then the voxel approach is used for lift calculation.

No, b9pw will calculate the aerodynamic values such as span, swept, chord from geometry then them pass to FAR. There is no voxel approach.

14 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

Hi @HebaruSan, @linuxgurugamer is kindly getting us all organised. It would great to get any debug information on what the CKAN issue was. We've had a cursory look to see if there is a hard dependancy. There doesn't appear to be one in the plugin itself, so could be related to MM maybe. Either way a few of us are happy to take a look and assist @linuxgurugamer in getting to the bottom of this as we do all love this mod (and I have been slowly getting back into KSP).

4 hours ago, Me1_base said:

No, b9pw will calculate the aerodynamic values such as span, swept, chord from geometry then them pass to FAR. There is no voxel approach.

Sorry @Me1_baseI was probably mixing my words up, yes correct, the plugin defines the additional values FAR uses as you know doubt already know :) and then FAR does its voxel stuff to make it all work nicely. Sorry for any confusion :) 

@HebaruSanI looked a few pages back, I can see you highlighted the issue. I do remember you being in contact all that time ago. Unfortunately RL got in the way (I got diagnosed with early stage cancer so I had to drop off the radar to get myself sorted - all better now). Now that @linuxgurugamer is getting us altogether it would be good to touch base in a few weeks to see if we can all get behind one version of the mod that has most historic issues resolved. I wouldn't want to step on @linuxgurugamer's toes as he is driving us, but have indicated we can support where we can!

Edited by Jebman82

1 hour ago, Jebman82 said:

Hi @HebaruSan, @linuxgurugamer is kindly getting us all organised. It would great to get any debug information on what the CKAN issue was. We've had a cursory look to see if there is a hard dependancy. There doesn't appear to be one in the plugin itself, so could be related to MM maybe. Either way a few of us are happy to take a look and assist @linuxgurugamer in getting to the bottom of this as we do all love this mod (and I have been slowly getting back into KSP).

5 hours ago, Me1_base said:

Sorry @Me1_baseI was probably mixing my words up, yes correct, the plugin defines the additional values FAR uses as you know doubt already know :) and then FAR does its voxel stuff to make it all work nicely. Sorry for any confusion :) 

@HebaruSanI looked a few pages back, I can see you highlighted the issue. I do remember you being in contact all that time ago. Unfortunately RL got in the way (I got diagnosed with early stage cancer so I had to drop off the radar to get myself sorted - all better now). Now that @linuxgurugamer is getting us altogether it would be good to touch base in a few weeks to see if we can all get behind one version of the mod that has most historic issues resolved. I wouldn't want to step on @linuxgurugamer's toes as he is driving us, but have indicated we can support where we can!

I have an organization setup on Github, and am inviting developers as they respond.

I've set up a Discord server for this as well, but would probably have other people manage that, since I'm not a big Discord user at this time

https://discord.gg/YzNBS9btVa

First request I have, would be for someone to make nice icon in several sizes for the project.  For now, I'm using this:

84112330?s=400&u=b8dcab8e93544b588d69907

Edited by linuxgurugamer

1 hour ago, Jebman82 said:

Unfortunately RL got in the way (I got diagnosed with early stage cancer so I had to drop off the radar to get myself sorted - all better now). 

Oh wow, I'm so sorry, and it's great to have you back!

A large number of posts have been split from this thread, since they diverged into a lively debate about the right way to solve this sort of dependency problem in CKAN and got far off-topic for this thread, derailing it.

You can find the discussion at the new thread, here:

Further discussion about this mod here is fine-- including if CKAN is involved-- but please don't get into arguments about the right way to solve CKAN problems here, it's not the topic of this thread.

So, to be clear, if you're trying to figure out where to post:

• Questions about this mod (and answers thereto), problems with this mod (and solutions thereto), and discussion about this mod are all on-topic for this thread, and please feel free to discuss.  :)  Basically, anything that a user of this mod would be interested in.
  • Discussion about CKAN strategy and what the right approach should be to solve problems therewith... please take it to the other thread.

Thank you for your understanding.

[EDIT]  Just now had to remove a "last word" sort of comment.  To be clear, please keep any discussion of the incident out of the public channel-- anyone who wants to discuss it is welcome to approach the moderators privately.  The whole point here was to get the off-topic argument out of this thread, so before anyone tries to get in the "last word", please stop and think about whether what you're saying would antagonize the other side of the argument and prompt them to respond in kind, which just drags us all right back into the same mess again.  Thank you.

Edited by Snark
Seriously, folks, please just let it lie.

17 hours ago, Daniel Prates said:

Right! Now that we have this out of the way, let me say this: I manually uninstalled FAR, as per the friggin' OP saying it is not a dependency, and PW is working fine, so, there. Thanks @linuxgurugamer and @Lisias for the costumary  helpfulness, you guys deserve a medal.

We’re just testing a new version internally. It isn’t ready for release. @linuxgurugamerhas kindly made sure the mod works with and without FAR, users can then easily decide how they wish to use the mod.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Since I haven't heard anything bad from the latest internal beta, I'm opening it up for general testing. 

DO NOT USE IN CAREER GAME AT THIS TIME!!!

Changes

• Forked repo from @tetraflon
  • Rafterman82
    • Merged in CarnationRED's changes
  • Linuxgurugamer
    • Merged in Rafterman82's merged changes
    • Created LGG csproj file
    • Added deploy.bat
    • Added buildRelease.bat
    • Added AssemblyVersion.tt
    • Added InstallChecker
    • Moved .version file into main directory
    • Reenabled FAR references
    • Added build flag to allow building without FAR
    • Added the Localization files into B9_Aerospace_ProceduralWings\Localization
    • Renamed source directory to remove spaces
    • Reformatted .version file
    • Added BUILD to .version file
  • Linuxgurugamer
    • Fixed settings page, updated title of settings page
    • Updated .version file
  • Linuxgurugamer
    • Added new settings to control the activation
    • Added code to allow activation just by hovering
    • Added ability to lock wing layout
    • Added support for the Changelog mod
    • Full TU support and metallic textures
  • Linuxgurugamer
    • Update TU support to let the TURD patches be primary
  • Linuxgurugamer
    • Fixed dragging handles so that they closely follow the mouse movement
    • Changed "state" var from int to Enum for better readability
    • Restored missing localization entries
    • Fixed handles locking up when using hovering mode after 2nd part attachment
  • Linuxgurugamer
    • Removed hover code
    • Adjusted initial location of window in the editor to not be on top of the parts list
    • Adjusted text and spacing for fuel tank configuration
    • Minor optimization for fuel tank display (eliminated a string assignment)
    • Remerged JRodriquiz's TU support
    • Restored Changelog support

https://github.com/B9-Procedural-Wings/B9-PWings-Modified/releases/tag/0.43.0.6

Please test this both with and without FAR.  I am especially interested in hearing of any oddities when using without FAR

15 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

https://github.com/B9-Procedural-Wings/B9-PWings-Modified/releases/tag/0.43.0.6

Please test this both with and without FAR.  I am especially interested in hearing of any oddities when using without FAR

Trying now, so far the only thing I've noticed is some missing localizations:

#autoLOC_B9_Aerospace_WingStuff_1000156 = AngleDefine
#autoLOC_B9_Aerospace_WingStuff_1000157 = ThickScale
#autoLOC_B9_Aerospace_WingStuff_1000158 = Include edges in definitions
#autoLOC_B9_Aerospace_WingStuff_1000159 = No
#autoLOC_B9_Aerospace_WingStuff_1000160 = Yes
#autoLOC_B9_Aerospace_WingStuff_1000161 = EdgeIncluded
#autoLOC_B9_Aerospace_WingStuff_1000162 = Include or exclude edges \nwhen changing propertiesof the wing.

Note that I took this from the source code, and 162 has some wacky spacing. Perhaps that was copy-paste error by me?

As a reward for being slightly helpful. I'm running at 4K so the editor window is a bit tiny (a few mods have this issue), perhaps the ability scale the UI. Probably that's a bit of work. I really should get a KSP dev environment set up and actually submit pull requests ... :-)

Edited by 610yesnolovely

6 hours ago, 610yesnolovely said:

Note that I took this from the source code, and 162 has some wacky spacing. Perhaps that was copy-paste error by me?

That was probably a copy/paste error on my part

Thank you.  I had forgotten that those were missing when I had to do some reverts

6 hours ago, 610yesnolovely said:

As a reward for being slightly helpful. I'm running at 4K so the editor window is a bit tiny (a few mods have this issue), perhaps the ability scale the UI. Probably that's a bit of work. I really should get a KSP dev environment set up and actually submit pull requests ... :-)

Not at this time, and I also play with a 4K monitor, so I feel your pain.

Are you using FAR or not?

Edited by linuxgurugamer

4 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

That was probably a copy/paste error on my part

Thank you.  I had forgotten that those were missing when I had to do some reverts

Not at this time, and I also play with a 4K monitor, so I feel your pain.

Are you using FAR or not?

I'm using FAR (for the first time, shocking I know) - however I'm just testing out various mods while building up a set of mods for a new career later on. I've not played KSP much in the past few years, just getting back into it. So far in very limited testing (mostly in the editor) it's looking good.

Some other things I'm trying out for the first time relevant here: Procedural Wings (obv), FAR, Textures Unlimited Recolor Depot, Conformal Decal, TUFX - I wanted to not only build things, but make them look pretty, so I'll be sure to let you know if all those interact nicely, or I find any bugs.

Thanks for the 128 (or whatever) mods you keep active, that's a lot of work and organization. I've also watched some of your recorded live streams out of interest. Very cool.

On 6/7/2021 at 11:34 AM, 610yesnolovely said:

Some other things I'm trying out for the first time relevant here: Procedural Wings (obv), FAR, Textures Unlimited Recolor Depot, Conformal Decal, TUFX - I wanted to not only build things, but make them look pretty, so I'll be sure to let you know if all those interact nicely, or I find any bugs.

Cool.  Turd needs to be updated for this version of B9PWings.,  I’ll try to post a link to an unofficial patch later today, once I release B9 I’ll submit a PR to TURD for this.  

49 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Cool.  Turd needs to be updated for this version of B9PWings.,  I’ll try to post a link to an unofficial patch later today, once I release B9 I’ll submit a PR to TURD for this.  

Cool, I'll try that out, though on cursory test usage TURD's config with your version seemed to work okay.

FYI - I had other compatibility issues with FAR (with other mods) and decided I like a simpler life, so I'll be running tests with B9PWings without FAR. I'll be trying this combo out with minimal mods later today, as I piled on too many and ended up with 20FPS on literally my work super computer (sigh, KSP is 10 years old, made in time before gamedevs really got to grips with using more than one processor).

53 minutes ago, 610yesnolovely said:

B9PWings without FAR. I'll be trying this combo out with minimal mods later today, as I piled on too many and ended up with 20FPS on literally my work super computer (sigh, KSP is 10 years old, made in time before gamedevs really got to grips with using more than one processor).

Great!

Re. multiprocessor, it's both a function of Unity and the fact that the sort of calculations being done by KSP are, in most cases, not possible to do in parallel

55 minutes ago, 610yesnolovely said:

Cool, I'll try that out, though on cursory test usage TURD's config with your version seemed to work okay.

It's quite possible that was the built-in TU config for B9, not TURD's

New beta, 0.43.0.7

• Restored missing localization lines

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cv762xyldfqu005/B9_Aerospace_ProceduralWings-0.43.0.7-BETA.zip?dl=0

I am especially interested in testing this without FAR installed.  Please let me know, if all goes well, I'll be able to release this in a few days

9 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Great!

Re. multiprocessor, it's both a function of Unity and the fact that the sort of calculations being done by KSP are, in most cases, not possible to do in parallel

It's quite possible that was the built-in TU config for B9, not TURD's

Okay, I shall pay more attention when I set that up later in the week. So many mods, so many things to read. Sometimes I just throw in mods and see what happens. Bad habit.

"the sort of calculations being done by KSP are, in most cases, not possible to do in parallel" - agreed with the caveat "at least in KSP1 game engine which was built/designed 10 years ago when using multiple cores and GPUs wasn't really a big thing/deal/important". Given that NVidia PhysX can now use multiple processors and GPUs (for rigid body at the mo, no articulation), and more game developers are starting to understand threading, locks, mutable vs immutable, there's hope that KSP2 might take advantage. It's a lot more work.  However, dear readers, not gonna happen in KSP, the game engine is as far as I can tell not really thread aware. 

@linuxgurugamer
Glad to see this getting organized! It was seriously worrying to see CKAN indexing multiple forks under the same mod ID. A quick question about the new org's repo: is it intentional there is no Issues category? I'd like to log an issue regarding craft size detection. The way craft size is computed it just merges the bounds of all MeshRenderers and SkinnedMeshRenderers on all parts. Since the reported bounds are wrong in some cases (check the engineer report), I think there must be a mesh that is not having RecalculateBounds run on it, or there is a SkinnedMeshRenderer with updateWhenOffscreen not set to true.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.