Jebman82

[1.3.x/1.4.x/1.5.x/1.6.x/1.7.x/1.8.x/1.9.x] B9 Procedural Wings Fork - Go big or go home update (40% larger wings)

Recommended Posts

38 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

Offset

Does it have any effect?

When I first did it, I didn't move the offset, which would cause dragging a yellow handle to cause the other to move together. In addition, to make a full-moving wing with an offset shaft, it was simply changed to the current mode.
 

is it you? I think the mod you posted on spacedock is pretty good. But it does not seem to be unlimited in size. After launch, there is still a limit of 40 and a thickness limit of 4

 

@CarnationRED, we ask that you post a translation in English in the forums outside the international sub forums.  Feel free to post in your native language to allow others to see the untranslated version, but please include a auto translation at least.   Thanks!

我们要求您在国际子论坛之外的论坛中发布英语翻译。 可以用您的母语发布,以允许其他人查看未翻译的版本,但至少请包括自动翻译。 谢谢!
Wǒmen yāoqiú nín zài guójì zǐ lùntán zhī wài dì lùntán zhōng fābù yīngyǔ fānyì. Kěyǐ yòng nín de mǔyǔ fābù, yǐ yǔnxǔ qítā rén chákàn wèi fānyì de bǎnběn, dàn zhìshǎo qǐng bāokuò zìdòng fānyì. Xièxiè!
 

 

Thank you for notifying, I added translations, sir.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As per the OP mentions, CKAN still has an older version. Insofar I am not sure if the intention is to have 'regular' PWfork and 'this' PW, or if the idea is to have one single version. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thickness of the procedural control surfaces is not saving in the latest version for 1.10.1.  When I launch the aircraft, all of the control surfaces are reset to minimum thickness, and even the vertical stabilizer and rudder have changed shape.  The other mods I have installed are BDArmory, B9PartSwitch, Physics Range Extender, and Mk2Expansion.  My Module Manager version is ModuleManager.4.1.4.  If anyone can help me to fix the control surface thickness bug, that would be awesome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't suppose there's a way to make the wings stiffness proportional to their thickness is there? 

And if I want to modify stiffness and strength, what should I look for in the .cfg? Specifically to set limits at for tech nodes, I.E. you get spruce and canvas wings at node A, with appropriate properties, and at node B you get an upgraded wing material with better properties.

Point being to make it so that you can't build a U-2 while you're at a point in the tech tree that's roughly analogous with the 1920s.

 

Even more basic question - how do you change the mass of the wing? I figured you would just change the mass of the wing part, and that it calculated the mass of your shaped wing off of the mass of the base part, but that doesn't seem to do it? It changed the mass of the wing part that you select on the left, but when you shape it into a wing it has the same mass that it otherwise would have.

Edited by Nnimrod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am also having a problem with the procedural control surfaces, by having them reset to the minimum thickness along with the shape being altered when leaving the SPH

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/22/2020 at 3:29 AM, Ben Kimber said:

The thickness of the procedural control surfaces is not saving in the latest version for 1.10.1.  When I launch the aircraft, all of the control surfaces are reset to minimum thickness, and even the vertical stabilizer and rudder have changed shape.  The other mods I have installed are BDArmory, B9PartSwitch, Physics Range Extender, and Mk2Expansion.  My Module Manager version is ModuleManager.4.1.4.  If anyone can help me to fix the control surface thickness bug, that would be awesome.

 

1 hour ago, Jz03 said:

I am also having a problem with the procedural control surfaces, by having them reset to the minimum thickness along with the shape being altered when leaving the SPH

 

Sorry I forget to bypass the limit check in that release, this should be fixed in the new version

12 hours ago, Nnimrod said:

Even more basic question - how do you change the mass of the wing? I figured you would just change the mass of the wing part, and that it calculated the mass of your shaped wing off of the mass of the base part, but that doesn't seem to do it? It changed the mass of the wing part that you select on the left, but when you shape it into a wing it has the same mass that it otherwise would have.

Mass of the wings are handled in the plugin scaled with how much lift the wing will produce.(not the case if FAR is installed) you cannot modify it unless you recompile by yourself. Stiffness of joints can be enhanced by installing KJR which as you said scales stiffness with mesh , adding struts also help. If you are insightful enough, you should find that change of aspect ratio of wings while retain the area unchanged will drastically alter the cost of wings, because high aspect ratio wings requires stronger materials.

Edited by Me1_base

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello @Jebman82,

the SpaceDock Version for KSP 1.10.1 throws errors and prevent KSP to comes up correctly:

[ModuleManager] Intercepted a ReflectionTypeLoadException. List of broken DLLs:
B9_Aerospace_WingStuff 0.0.0.0 GameData\B9_Aerospace_ProceduralWings\Plugins\B9_Aerospace_WingStuff.dll

Is there any dependencies or what goes wrong?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hraban said:

Hello @Jebman82,

the SpaceDock Version for KSP 1.10.1 throws errors and prevent KSP to comes up correctly:

[ModuleManager] Intercepted a ReflectionTypeLoadException. List of broken DLLs:
B9_Aerospace_WingStuff 0.0.0.0 GameData\B9_Aerospace_ProceduralWings\Plugins\B9_Aerospace_WingStuff.dll

Is there any dependencies or what goes wrong?

@hraban

Cannot reproduce your issue, have you tested with a clean install or redownload the file.

Edited by Me1_base

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Me1_base said:

@hraban

Cannot reproduce your issue, have you tested with a clean install or redownload the file.

Even after multiple attempts, an installation of the newly loaded files from SpaceDock will not work. The loading process is not completed and a message is displayed.

The installation is done into an existing, executable KSP installation that contains many 100% compatible mods, among others also "B9 Animation Module" and "B9 Part Switch".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Me1_base said:

Cannot reproduce your issue, have you tested with a clean install or redownload the file.

I encountered the same issue during loading.

In my case the culprit seems to be MechJeb

 

The log file is full of these errors:

Quote

[ERR 21:09:19.492] MechJeb caught a ReflectionTypeLoadException. Those DLL are not built for this KSP version:

[ERR 21:09:19.492] B9_Aerospace_WingStuff 0.0.0.0 GameData\B9_Aerospace_ProceduralWings\Plugins\B9_Aerospace_WingStuff.dll
 

At the end there's also this

Quote

[EXC 21:12:08.513] ReflectionTypeLoadException: Exception of type 'System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException' was thrown.
    System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () (at <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0)
    AssemblyLoader.GetTypesOfClassesImplementingInterface[T] () (at <c1858a3f77504bd1aaa946fdccf84670>:0)
    Expansions.Missions.MissionsUtils.InitialiseAdjusterTypes () (at <c1858a3f77504bd1aaa946fdccf84670>:0)
    Expansions.ExpansionsLoader+<LoadExpansions>d__21.MoveNext () (at <c1858a3f77504bd1aaa946fdccf84670>:0)
    UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (System.Collections.IEnumerator enumerator, System.IntPtr returnValueAddress) (at <5aeafee3fea24f37abd1315553f2cfa6>:0)
    UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)
[LOG 21:12:08.526] [ModuleManager] Intercepted a ReflectionTypeLoadException. List of broken DLLs:
B9_Aerospace_WingStuff 0.0.0.0 GameData\B9_Aerospace_ProceduralWings\Plugins\B9_Aerospace_WingStuff.dll
 

Removing MJ seems to solve the problem.

Edited by ISO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How can I modify the mass, rigidity, and strength of the wing part from the .cfg? In game there is a "Mass/strength multiplier", and I'd like to remove that and have a fixed mass, rigidity, and strength. The point being to split the single procedural wing part, with adjustable mass/strength, into multiple procedural wing parts, each with fixed mass/strength. And the point of that is to have progression for the tech tree. I.E. early on you have a procedural wood and fabric wing part, later on you get a procedural aluminum wing part, then a stainless steel version, and finally a composite part. 

 

An alternative to this would be to have one part with multiple configurations, and you simply unlock new configurations for the same part.

 

I ask because I don't see anything in the .cfgs that seems to allow me to do this, but perhaps I'm missing it. Thanks for your help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, hraban said:

Even after multiple attempts, an installation of the newly loaded files from SpaceDock will not work. The loading process is not completed and a message is displayed.

The installation is done into an existing, executable KSP installation that contains many 100% compatible mods, among others also "B9 Animation Module" and "B9 Part Switch".

As @CarnationRED's modification add a dependence on FAR, the current solution to this problem is install FAR or remove MJ. @ISOthanks for identifying the problem. Would you please send a issue to @sarbianas I don't know what happened to my modification.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Me1_base said:

As @CarnationRED's modification add a dependence on FAR, the current solution to this problem is install FAR or remove MJ. @ISOthanks for identifying the problem. Would you please send a issue to @sarbianas I don't know what happened to my modification.

Thank You!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Nnimrod said:

How can I modify the mass, rigidity, and strength of the wing part from the .cfg?

You can modify the equation to calculate mass in the source code under WingProcedural.cs and build it yourself. Tech node is out of my reach as i don't play careers or science mode.:sealed:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would be possible to add to this mod an opption to make a  wing that have a bell shaped lift distribution, giving a proverse yaw effect when rolling?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bernadegas said:

Would be possible to add to this mod an opption to make a  wing that have a bell shaped lift distribution

That's not how lift in ksp works afaik, ksp treat lift as a single force applied to CoL of the part rather than distributed along the chord.

Edited by Me1_base

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/23/2020 at 1:48 AM, Me1_base said:

Mass of the wings are handled in the plugin scaled with how much lift the wing will produce.(not the case if FAR is installed) you cannot modify it unless you recompile by yourself.

Is this why these are always some of the heaviest wings in my mod install? Even with mass/strength ratio set to 1?

Does FAR set the scaling if detected; or is another value used instead? Mostly asking because i wouldn't want to go poking for a value if it wasn't in your mod (Or rather wasn't used in this specific case).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Me1_base said:

That's not how lift in ksp works afaik, ksp treat lift as a single force applied to CoL of the part rather than distributed along the chord.

The adverse yaw would work the same? Because the interesting effect of the bell shaped lift distribution (bsld) is de proverse yaw. And if the adverse yaw is a force vector, could it be inverted some how? Thus creating the proverse yaw effect? 

The BSLD is the way NASA find out birds fly, thats why they dont need vertical tails, making flying wings a viable plataform. I think it would be awesome if we could put it in ksp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

Does FAR set the scaling if detected; or is another value used instead? Mostly asking because i wouldn't want to go poking for a value if it wasn't in your mod (Or rather wasn't used in this specific case).

FAR will handle the scale if detected. The mass of Pwings are set to 0 if FAR is installed.

Currently the mass to lift ratio of Pwing in stock aero is the same as stock Delta Wing. If you compared a stock wing with an apparent size similar to a Pwing, the Pwing is heavier but also produce more lift.

Currently there is no mass to strength ratio in the calculation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Me1_base said:

FAR will handle the scale if detected. The mass of Pwings are set to 0 if FAR is installed.

Currently the mass to lift ratio of Pwing in stock aero is the same as stock Delta Wing. If you compared a stock wing with an apparent size similar to a Pwing, the Pwing is heavier but also produce more lift.

Currently there is no mass to strength ratio in the calculation.

Alright; thanks.

That would explain....actually quite a lot. I have some tests to run when i finally begin getting my KSP mod install sorted out on my main rig xD

Hopefully one of my other installed mods isn't sending them into negative values (It should have exception handling for this, but now i know it's a possibility). And FAR kinda just breaks stock completely; like everything produces way less lift, but drag is also reduced. But since i haven't played with stock aero since discovering it i never realized the difference until getting other Plane Part mods and seeing how drastically different in mass they were for similar lifting area.

I think if i end up finding out what's going on, i might just add another variant in the TT later on. They're fine until late-game when I'm trying to do larger craft and the square-cube law starts eating my lunch. All for my own personal use ofc.

And yeah...now that i recall the Mass/Strength slider might have been part of FAR, and is probably where I'd need to look for the mass value in the first place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 get the following error when my KSP is loading : "DLL not compatible"

My save is up to date. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, dmav522 said:

get the following error when my KSP is loading : "DLL not compatible"

My save is up to date. 

Install FAR, or remove MJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/15/2020 at 12:43 PM, peachyG said:

for some reason the parts texture doesnt change, its this shiny metal one and i cant change it no matter what (only paint it)
also changing shapes of the edges makes them have this weird texture 
installed from ckan
lqh6xtKhVt8.jpg

You have another mod, Textures Unlimited installed. It changes procedural tanks and wings colors. You can either recolor these wings with GUI in right-click menu of the part, or you can remove the Texture Unlimited completely.

(Damn I'm late)

Edited by desert

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/26/2020 at 1:11 AM, Me1_base said:

FAR will handle the scale if detected. The mass of Pwings are set to 0 if FAR is installed.

Currently the mass to lift ratio of Pwing in stock aero is the same as stock Delta Wing. If you compared a stock wing with an apparent size similar to a Pwing, the Pwing is heavier but also produce more lift.

Currently there is no mass to strength ratio in the calculation.

Wait. So a thicker wing will generate more lift (as it should)? That is great, I thought only area mattered.

Will a thicker wing also generate more drag?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.