[1.3.x/1.4.x/1.5.x/1.6.x/1.7.x/1.8.x/1.9.x] B9 Procedural Wings Fork - Go big or go home update (40% larger wings)

Jebman82

On 9/21/2018 at 1:41 AM, PataSolar said:

Have the people with texture problems tried other versions of the mod? Or tried to deduce a a problematic clashing mod? 

Yea, iv'e tried v0.60, v0.50 and v0.40.13 with same texture issue on all. If i find the time i'll do the same on a clean install. Im on KSP v1.4.5 btw.

Edited by Cratzz

14 hours ago, eberkain said:

Do you not have texture problems on using the latest version in 1.4.5?

No, sorry, didn't mean to get your hopes up! I have the same issues on 1.3.1 and wondered if others had tried what I'd tried (playing around with different versions etc.) and got different results. I don't know what to do!

• 2 weeks later...

firstly thank you for this mod its a game changer for a sci fi builder like me , for thoose having problems with black wings ? ive been doing some testing and figured out a few things.

1. the dx11 fix for the blue icons in forced dx11 mode = black wings (without the fix colours work in dx11 but obviously all blue icons)

2. force opengl core = black wings

ksp v 1.4.5  - single mod testing.

I was toying around last night making some planes and even tho I like the textures for these I found my wings look strange compared to the rest of the craft. Are there any plans to incorporate a stockalike texture? No biggie. Just curious. Sometimes the different textures make em look good too. I hate stock aero wings lol  but love the textures/vens version too

11 hours ago, ThePixeledFox said:

firstly thank you for this mod its a game changer for a sci fi builder like me , for thoose having problems with black wings ? ive been doing some testing and figured out a few things.

1. the dx11 fix for the blue icons in forced dx11 mode = black wings (without the fix colours work in dx11 but obviously all blue icons)

2. force opengl core = black wings

ksp v 1.4.5  - single mod testing.

Sorry but can you elaborate? I have no idea what you're trying to say? Are you saying try it without dx11 or force opengl? What blue icon?

7 hours ago, PataSolar said:

Sorry but can you elaborate? I have no idea what you're trying to say? Are you saying try it without dx11 or force opengl? What blue icon?

in forced dx11 mode you will get blue-ghosted icons (google this) there is a temp fix which brings back part icon textures but ruins the colour options on PW = black wings.

(you can still use normal force dx11 and the colours on PW are fine (but thoose blue part icons ewwww)

in forceopenglcore mode everything is fine but the colours on PW wont work = black wings.

in default dx9 mode everything is fine , if you like more mem usage and laggy frames (harmfull to potato pc users lol)

hope this cleared it up for you and the people having problems with black wings and colours not working .

Edited by ThePixeledFox

Hello guys!

I'm completely new to the forum and I have a question:

Are there any other dependencies than B9PartSwitch?

I've seen KingOfLolz321 ask this question before and I have the same problem. I installed the fork via CKAN and installed B9PartSwitch and can use the wings in-game, but I don't have the UI necessary to edit them. No B9 in the bottom right, pressing "j" doesn't work and the "show wing data" button doesn't work either...

Does anyone know of this issue and/or knows the solution?

On 10/5/2018 at 10:22 PM, ThePixeledFox said:

in forced dx11 mode you will get blue-ghosted icons (google this) there is a temp fix which brings back part icon textures but ruins the colour options on PW = black wings.

(you can still use normal force dx11 and the colours on PW are fine (but thoose blue part icons ewwww)

in forceopenglcore mode everything is fine but the colours on PW wont work = black wings.

in default dx9 mode everything is fine , if you like more mem usage and laggy frames (harmfull to potato pc users lol)

hope this cleared it up for you and the people having problems with black wings and colours not working .

Oh. I see what you mean now. Unfortunately, my problem isn't actually 'black wings'. Rather it's a problem where the textures are weirdly paneled. This is possibly the textures being to 'small' if you know what I mean. So there's dozens of the panel effect rather than just a few. I've post some screenshots below that show the problem (with all the possible textures):

Spoiler

aGcORkq.png

RY8RrZJ.png

Looks like it’s time for an update. I will read through all the posts in this thread collate feature requests and provide an indication of how long it will take to make the updates. In the interim I will get a base 1.5 version ready for any users who want to play with a newly compiled version with no updates.

21 minutes ago, Jebman82 said:

Looks like it’s time for an update. I will read through all the posts in this thread collate feature requests and provide an indication of how long it will take to make the updates. In the interim I will get a base 1.5 version ready for any users who want to play with a newly compiled version with no updates.

Looking forward to the update!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello. I got this mod working out of the box for the current version of KSP. Getting the same texture issues with the post above, but it doesn't bother me much. However, I'm having issues with FAR enabled. The wings disappear after launching the craft, and the lift indicator is stuck to the ground in the SPH. Terribly sorry if this is a known issue, my google-fu must be weak :D

Nevermind. Looks like FAR isn't officially released for 1.5.1 yet

Edited by reedhashlock

23 minutes ago, Daniel Prates said:

Its good to see this being still developed.

@reedhashlock the older FAR is not updated but someone released recently some sort of "FAR continued". Check it out!

Yeah, I saw this one.

14 minutes ago, jrodriguez said:

I have this working with FAR in KSP 1.5.1. I don't have problems. Usually I disable aerodynamic failures in FAR to avoid RUD

I am still having problems with that version of far and posted it in that mod page. I'm still getting problems in a clean copy of the game. I might have messed something up during installation of the mod though.

Read the github files again, very carefully this time. Turns out I also needed MFI. :blush:

Edited by reedhashlock
Found a fix

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey, great work so far on updating this stuff! I really am thankful that you're taking the time to do this, I don't know what I would do without B9-PWings! At least 90% of the stuff I build uses B9-PWings and about 20% of the stuff I build is almost entirely made of B9-PWings. By the way, if its not too much to ask, is it possible to make the limits for the PWings a config file? I don't know how the stuff is coded since I haven't taken a peek at it, but would it be at all possible to have a configuration file which says maximum width, maximum length, maximum thickness, and maximum offset? Some of the things I want to build would require PWings that are either too big or too slanted for the current configuration, and I just thought that maybe it'd be possible to just add a file I/O system for a .cfg file, performing a string search or just a line by line search to take in values for these. I know the graphical part would be kind of weird to do, depending on how it is programmed and I know you have a lot of things on your plate anyways so I don't mind if you don't take this request. Keep up the good work, I'm really appreciating it!

Hey @Jebman82 we just released RP-0 (now called RP-1) and we are trying to tie up the install through CKAN. We had referenced a B9 Procedural Wings Modified that is currently on CKAN, but it is broken. Would you be alright if I added your mod to CKAN and included the 1.3.1 version?

Hello!

So starting leave on Monday didn't go to plan. Thankfully I got all the work done yesterday.

So lets get the ball rolling:

• First (as in right this minute) I am going to get this recompiled and look for regression. So an initial release will happen today with the same feature set unless I come across a major issue
  • I will try to do as much testing as I can, things I will be looking for is how the wings perform (stock and FAR)
  • My baseline KSP will be:
    • B9 Pwings Fork
    • Kerbal Foundries (gotta love those ALG landing gears)
    • FAR

FAR

I'm an OG KSP player so I love the less soupy atmosphere that FAR helps with. I can see that it still hasn't been updated since 1.3. For my last build I recompiled a version for 1.4 and it seemed to work ok for me. I'm not sure whether I am allowed to include an updated version of this .dll in my fork. So I might go ask in that thread and check the license it has. That is not to say that I am going to begin supporting FAR, I just enjoy the modifications it made to the flight models. Personally I lack the time and experience with that type of mod to be able to offer any meaningful help other than a recompile (gives you an idea of how awesome devs like B9 and Ferram are). Both add-ons are highly complex and I try to only touch what I know I won't break.

Defects & New Features

So I do monitor this thread from time to time. I can see there is a nice list of asks for things to be fixed/added. All I can say is that I will collate them into a table and give you guys some feedback on how realistic it will be to get these things implemented. However, there are three areas I would like to begin to look at today:

• Shaders - Bunch of defects listed by posters. The history here is that about a year ago we didn't have access to the shaders in the source code. This meant that other devs couldn't recompile the mod and continue to support it. A couple of guys (iirc I thanked them in the first on this thread) managed to get Unity to recompile the shaders. I have pretty basic working knowledge of Unity. Happy to put in a few hours and see if I can get a handle on making some new shaders. I have the relevant software and I know people are keen to have as close to a stock alike feel as possible
  • RP - @pap1723 I am keen to get this done. Just for the record, if anyone needs to use this mod in anyway (1.3 version for example), please do go right ahead! You have my full permission and overwhelming support. I know you RP guys like this for your space planes. 
  • Bigger Stuff - Seen a few of you mention this. The reality is, it is soooo simple to increase these values. However, B9 originally wrote the functions to calculate wing area, lift, weight etc. So if the wings begin to behave in an unexpected way. It's unlikely I will be able to do much. Apart from that tho, happy to give you guys a fork with bigger wings. Reason for this: time, tweaking the values and recompiling a bigger version takes a few mins. Building some functions to create a new UI will take longer. I like simple valuable approaches, so will probably just spin you guys up an extra large version. Or even give you guys steps on how to recompile a version with super big wings
  • Older Versions - I will back port stuff where I can (e.g if I sort the shaders out I will make sure the 1.4.x and 1.3 versions get these updates as well if I don't encounter any major blockers)

I can see this is around the corner, if there are no major defects with a straight recompile of 1.5 then I will probably get that released as well. No doubt they wanna release 1.6 inline with xmas.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.