[1.3.x/1.4.x/1.5.x/1.6.x/1.7.x/1.8.x/1.9.x] B9 Procedural Wings Fork - Go big or go home update (40% larger wings)

Jebman82

6 hours ago, evileye.x said:

Hello everyone! 

I never used procedural wings (neither B9 nor PWings). I have a stupid (may be) question :

Is it possible to make several wing/winglets once and then use it as templates/predefined aero parts in different crafts? 

Yes. You can create subassemblies for just about anything, not only B9PW for template.
I often used such things when working on planes, when I got some wing shape "just right", created subassembly for it, to re-use it on other craft or as "backup" before further tweaking on it.

You can even create full satellite to be ready for filling in cargo bay, or you can just make template.

IIRC, there is also option for B9 parts when you create some, to be default dimension/shape when you put it next time on craft from regular part palete. But take this with a grain on salt, can't recall details about it from top of my head.

9 hours ago, kcs123 said:

Yes. You can create subassemblies for just about anything. 

Thanks for reply. I'll try to use subassemblies for that. In fact, I actively use it for launch vehicles, upper stages, payloads, etc. 

However I guess both saved part and craft have to have attachment node for proper usage of subassemblies?

Edited by evileye.x

12 hours ago, evileye.x said:

However I guess both saved part and craft have to have attachment node for proper usage of subassemblies?

IIRC, wings can be used as subassemblies without node, but to be honest I no longer recall how exactly I was doing those. If node is required for subassembly than you can simply put wing on some piece of fuselage with or without fuel. Use those that have nodes, but can also be surface attached.

Once you need wings from subassembly, even if it is required to be on fuselage with node, you can attach whole thing anywhere on craft.
After that select only wanted wing parts, deatach it from craft and move aside in SPH. Then you remove unwanted fuselage and delete it.
Next step is to take desired wing parts hanging out somewhere in SPH not being attached to anything and then place it on craft where you actualy want it.

First of all, thank you for maintaining this amazing mod.

I found that, when using -force-opengl command to run the game, B9 PW parts are shown in complete black. Without any error message or warning.

I've read previous posts and the issue was already reported before, but it still exists.

Attaching screenshot.

Spoiler

FcGGbTK.png

I understand that supporting openGL may not be a priority, but could you plz consider fixing this in future update?

Thanks.

On 3/14/2019 at 3:33 AM, evileye.x said:

Hello everyone! 

I never used procedural wings (neither B9 nor PWings). I have a stupid (may be) question :

Is it possible to make several wing/winglets once and then use it as templates/predefined aero parts in different crafts? 

I would adore this also. The ability to create/save some "presets" would be great at the very least to use as starting points, to then tweak onto particular craft.

I suppose we could create a craft that would serve as a framework/structure form and save it as a subassembly or outright craft and just load/merge it in to pick from the available pre-made wings. Like a long girder framework with a bunch of wings/airfoils stuck along it.

3 hours ago, Beetlecat said:

I would adore this also. The ability to create/save some "presets" would be great at the very least to use as starting points, to then tweak onto particular craft.

I suppose we could create a craft that would serve as a framework/structure form and save it as a subassembly or outright craft and just load/merge it in to pick from the available pre-made wings. Like a long girder framework with a bunch of wings/airfoils stuck along it.

You can do like that. But, I just checked, my older KSP install, 1.3.x, it is possible to just grab several PW parts connected together as one wing piece (two wingparts + two control surface on it) and create subassembly without need to have attachment node. Wing is surface attached so, it does not need one. I doubt that this is changed for latest version of KSP.

So, it is up to you, should you have several pre-crafted wings, each as it's own subassembly, or create several at once, place it on fusalage and save it like that.

There is also "save as default" option unde PW "J" menu, save lenght, thickness, textures etc. as default to be in that shape next time  you grab it from regular part list.

11 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Any way to replace the textures?

Yes, there is option somewhere under "J" menu. You need to press on one of "+" sighns to extend menu. Don't know from top of my head exactly where you need to click to reveal texture slider. You can choose separate textures for top and bottom of wings, choose what kind of leading and trailing edge you want for wing etc.

Or, you have meaned something else ?

24 minutes ago, kcs123 said:

Yes, there is option somewhere under "J" menu. You need to press on one of "+" sighns to extend menu. Don't know from top of my head exactly where you need to click to reveal texture slider. You can choose separate textures for top and bottom of wings, choose what kind of leading and trailing edge you want for wing etc.

Or, you have meaned something else ?

Yes, I'm reviving a mod RetroFuture, which used the old pWings.  It has textures for it's wings, Id like to make them the standard texture for the parts in the mod

Edited by linuxgurugamer

7 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Yes, I'm reviving a mod RetroFuture, which used the old pWings.  It has textures for it's wings, Id like to make them the standard texture for the parts in the mod

Yes, that is totaly different kind of animal and probably wrong thread. This is B9 pWings developed originaly by bac9. Crzyrndm have taken over maintenance for both B9 and older variant of pWings. I don't know if anyone maintain older variant anymore or maybe latest ones still works without any maintenance.

Old latest working pWing thread:

And you probably looking for latest working fork of this:
https://github.com/Crzyrndm/ProceduralWings/releases

Don't know exact answer, but I hope it would help you to narrow down search.

1 minute ago, kcs123 said:

Yes, that is totaly different kind of animal and probably wrong thread. This is B9 pWings developed originaly by bac9. Crzyrndm have taken over maintenance for both B9 and older variant of pWings. I don't know if anyone maintain older variant anymore or maybe latest ones still works without any maintenance.

Old latest working pWing thread:

And you probably looking for latest working fork of this:
https://github.com/Crzyrndm/ProceduralWings/releases

Don't know exact answer, but I hope it would help you to narrow down search.

Sorry, I wasn't clear.  I don't want to use that, I want to use this version, if possible

3 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Sorry, I wasn't clear.  I don't want to use that, I want to use this version, if possible

Then your best bet might be to ask @jrodriguez about it if he is still around. IIRC, he is one who have fixed shaders and textures as it is stated in OP:

- Forked by jrodrigv - Huge thanks to him for spending his own time in regards to recompiling the shaders and updating the code needed to make this work

He is probably one who can tell most details about it.

On 5/22/2018 at 12:03 PM, Jebman82 said:

B9 Pwings Fork - The go big or go home update (40% larger wings)

This is an up to date fork of B9 Pwings. I have created this for 1.4.x and backported it to 1.3.1 for anyone still on 1.3.1 (this one is for the RO guys :cool:) :

- Originally created by bac9 (a god amongst men): https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/94621-102-b9-aerospace-procedural-parts-040-updated-090615/

- Forked by Crzyrndm allowing support up to 1.3 (Thank you Crzyrndm for all the hours of support you have provided to this excellent mod): https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/117236-13-procedural-wings/

- Forked by jrodrigv - Huge thanks to him for spending his own time in regards to recompiling the shaders and updating the code needed to make this work

- Forked by me - Current maintainer

- Thank you to LinuxGamer for the CKAN update

License

All licenses from the original mod apply to this fork, the plugin is distributed under the MIT license:

https://opensource.org/licenses/MIT

Version 0.80 (see below for download links)

Improvements/Housekeeping

• Recompile for 1.6.1
  • Even larger wings (yes I heard you all make obscenely large SSTO's)

Version 0.71 (see below for download links)

Bugfix

• Fix for incorrectly scaled textures

Version 0.70 (see below for download links)

Housekeeping:

• Recompiled against KSP 1.5.1 (stock) and tested

Version 0.60 (see below for download links)

New features:

• Increase root width of main wing / all moving control surface from 16 to 20 units
  • Increase tip width of main wing / all moving control surface from 16 to 20 units
  • Increase length of main wing / all moving control surface from 16 to 20 units
  • Increase length of main wing / all moving control surface from 8 to 10 units
  • Increase length of control surface from 8 to 10 units
  • Added tiny increment as float for control surface offset root and tip increment
  • Changed control surface offset root/width calls to use tiny float (0.0.5f)

Housekeeping:

• Recompiled with KSP 1.4.3 DLL files

Bug Fixes:

• Reduced limits of control surface root and tip offset from -6 units/6 units to -0.5 units/0.5 units

Known Issues:

• When using stock aero control surfaces set as spoilers/flaps will move in opposite directions. Interim Fix: Disable symmetry in the editor, place the control surface, press ALT + Mouse 1 on the part, duplicate, then roll/flip as needed with the QWEASD keys and place as close as you can to the opposite side of your craft. Or even better use FAR and enjoy full flap support.

Future Plans:

• I intend to support this mod for the foreseeable future
  • I will not be making any major functional changes, I intend to support newer versions of KSP and fine tune certain aspects, please factor this in when making feature requests
  • I hope to create a stock aero variant with a different set of part.cfg files to see if I can resolve the outstanding known issue of flaps and spoilers moving the wrong way in stock aero
  • I may look to update some of the procedural textures being used on the parts
  • I plan to look into why the wings are so heavy by default (work around is to use FAR and adjust wing mass value)
  • I plan to look into why the wings are a little draggy but will wait for a formal release of FAR into 1.4.3
  • I hope I can update the CKAN file so the RO guys can pull this down in there efforts to get RO ready for 1.4.3

Download version 1.6.1 (Github):

https://github.com/Rafterman82/B9-PWings-Fork/releases/tag/0.80

Download version 1.5.1 (Github):

https://github.com/Rafterman82/B9-PWings-Fork/releases/tag/0.71

Download version 1.4.1 (Github):

https://github.com/Rafterman82/B9-PWings-Fork/releases/tag/0.60

Download version 1.3.1 (Github):

https://github.com/Rafterman82/B9-Pwings-Fork-Backport/releases/tag/0.1.0

Installation Instructions

1. Download the .zip file from the above link
  2. Extract the .zip file
  3. Copy the extracted folder to your GameData folder 

Source (Github):

https://github.com/Rafterman82/B9-PWings-Fork

Screens

Please see the existing threads for screen shots of the UI and features of the mod

As you were.

im using the latest version of ksp, and pressing j on the wings doenst pop up the context menu. any help?

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/26/2019 at 1:02 AM, boomboomtime said:

im using the latest version of ksp, and pressing j on the wings doenst pop up the context menu. any help?

Wait until version recompiled against KSP 1.7 release. BTW my PW works fine in 1.7.

19 minutes ago, Me1_base said:

Wait until version recompiled against KSP 1.7 release. BTW my PW works fine in 1.7.

Mine too. Besides "mine" being the fork I used to try some fixes (only the working one has a pull request! :P lots of "fun" on the past), it's essentially the same codebase.

My guess is some missing dependency, perhaps?

On 3/25/2019 at 6:02 PM, boomboomtime said:

There was a lot reports about non working "J" key recently. I was never encountered with same issue, though. My best guess is that it is faulty install somewhere or conflicting mod that also use "J" key for something.

You are probably going to be pretty much on your own here, to discover what and where went wrong. I suggest to create clean install of KSP without any mods and then install only B9PW and dependencies. Try it in game and if does not work, post log file. If does work then add other mods one by one and check each time in game if "J" key still works until you found conflicting mod.

I just refreshed my save to 1.7 and redownloaded every mods I'm using. I had this "J" key problem because I had not reinstalled the extra texture pack (folder "GameData_AlternativeTexture"). My problem was a bit different though, since it appeared when I was trying to reopen planes I had designed on my old 1.5 install which was using the extra textures. But maybe it can help someone ...

25 minutes ago, Altaille said:

I just refreshed my save to 1.7 and redownloaded every mods I'm using. I had this "J" key problem because I had not reinstalled the extra texture pack (folder "GameData_AlternativeTexture"). My problem was a bit different though, since it appeared when I was trying to reopen planes I had designed on my old 1.5 install which was using the extra textures. But maybe it can help someone ...

I was having various issues with moded crafts from previous versions of KSP/mods. At some point I was started to recreate crafts from scratch, rather then using old saved crafts, for each KSP updates. I was keeping old KSP install/craft files for a while, to see the concept on older KSP version, just in case if I need reminder how certain things were built. There could be a lot of changes with parts between versions, so rebuilding from scratch helps a lot to avoid any kind of issues you may discovered too late in playtrough.

anyway, you should provide a log and screenshot so that we can diagnose the problem. 

On 3/26/2019 at 1:02 AM, boomboomtime said:

https://github.com/tetraflon/B9-PWings-Fork-old/releases maybe you kan try this.

Edited by Me1_base
wrong quote

I'm having issues with Ferram Aerospace. It's not registering the procedural wing parts. When I do the voxel display, it's got everything, including the procedural control surfaces, outlined with voxel markers, but not the main wing itself. I've done some googling, but can't find any recent mentions of this problem, despite faintly remembering the same problem a long time ago.

I'm on KSP 1.6.1, with procedural wings fork 0.80.

Initially in the editor, after first placing and shaping the wings, everything seems fine, but when I test fly it, it fails to take off or get lift. Reverting to the editor, and the wings have lost the voxel markers when I try it again.

Has anyone dealt with anything like this before?

Hi everyone hope you’re all enjoying 1.7 KSP.

I did a recompile last night with the mirror fixes for stock aero. I need to test against FAR and check for NRE’s will then release a new version probably today as I wanna build some huge SSTO’s. I’m also going to fix the part info pop up and probably add some FAR stats to the same window so you can see the wing chord stats etc. I’ve also made the button increments tiny and increased the size of everything. Great if you wanna make levcons like on the SU-57.

19 minutes ago, Snoman314 said:

I'm having issues with Ferram Aerospace. It's not registering the procedural wing parts. When I do the voxel display, it's got everything, including the procedural control surfaces, outlined with voxel markers, but not the main wing itself. I've done some googling, but can't find any recent mentions of this problem, despite faintly remembering the same problem a long time ago.

Initially in the editor, after first placing and shaping the wings, everything seems fine, but when I test fly it, it fails to take off or get lift. Reverting to the editor, and the wings have lost the voxel markers when I try it again.

Hi, I’ve been using KSP 1.6.1 and the 1.6 version of FAR with no issues. Are you able to run just Pwings and FAR and maybe grab a log file for me from the main KSP directory? Any screen shots would be helpful as well as list of mods you’re running!

3 minutes ago, Jebman82 said:

Hi, I’ve been using KSP 1.6.1 and the 1.6 version of FAR with no issues. Are you able to run just Pwings and FAR and maybe grab a log file for me from the main KSP directory? Any screen shots would be helpful as well as list of mods you’re running!

I'll give that a try when I've got some time. Maybe tomorrow evening.

2 hours ago, Snoman314 said:

tested in 1.6 and 1.7 ,no such problem, you are pretty much on your own to figure out the matter.

wAkUGnc.jpgqvXXv1C.jpg

5 hours ago, Snoman314 said:

Have you used old craft file from previous KSP version maybe? IIRC, I was having similar issue long, long time ago, with KSP 1.0.x or 1.2.x, can't recall exact version.
As suggested, try with minimal number of mods installed and with creating new craft from scratch. When you building craft, try to write down each step what you were doing after starting game. Have you entered SPH, exited to KSC, entering some other buildings before or after, have you reverted flights, are you used quicksave/load, etc.

It may sound tedious and non related at first, but each bits of info may help to narrow down issue like this, when everything works fine for other users, but you are experienced and triggered issue somehow.

Also, sometimes voxels on wings can be under wing texture, being hard to notice, so you may also want to try to clip camera inside wing with voxelization turned on, to be sure if that is also in your case. I hope those tips would help you to narrow down and reproduce issue. Sometimes reliable reproducing steps can be better help than log if nothing is catched in log file.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.