Ships exploding when changing SOI

Is anyone else experiencing this? I'm running 1.4.3 unmodded and whenever a craft changes SOI it either explodes or does a bizarre kind of "shift". I don't know how to explain it other than it sort of jerks violently for an instant, almost like it's taken apart and put back together in a really short timespan.

I've had some thing similar and it turned out to be overuse of AutoStrut set to heaviest part.  If you have a LOT of auto struts to Heaviest Part this can cause issues in situations like fuel tanks emptying below the point were they were the heaviest part.  Is it possible a similar thing happens on SOI changes?  If you are using a lot of autostruts try reducing them to just a few parts and connect them to root rather than heaviest.

I've not seen the behaviour... but it sounds cool.

I half wonder if it is related to fact that KSP moves the universe rather than the craft. When you change SOI you are radically changing the frame of reference for the ship. When this happens any slight FP errors would suddenly appear and then are zeroed out, as all the part locations are recalibrated.

1 hour ago, NewtSoup said:

I've had some thing similar and it turned out to be overuse of AutoStrut set to heaviest part.  If you have a LOT of auto struts to Heaviest Part this can cause issues in situations like fuel tanks emptying below the point were they were the heaviest part.  Is it possible a similar thing happens on SOI changes?  If you are using a lot of autostruts try reducing them to just a few parts and connect them to root rather than heaviest.

I tried this, because I have a tendency to abuse autostrut, but it didn't work.

Here's what the process looks like:

Fine just before

e6xNRcr.png

Something happens

bVdHbEt.png

Speed increases magically

PaMIULA.png

No more communication

4GgLR0H.png

Everything seems to have crashed into "colliders"

VdP71V6.png

I have really no idea why this happens. Craft that've worked perfectly for like a year now just don't work anymore.

Edit: I just tried it on a fresh 1.4.3 install. No mods or anything and that's what happens.

Edited by Black-Two-

I just did a quickie test with a stock craft. Nothing happened. So there is a chance that it is craft-dependent -- Black-Two-, you may want to try the same test with a different craft and see what happens. You may also want to upload that craft file to some file sharing site, so we can all take a whack at it. Other than that, I'm out of ideas. I've never seen the precise bug you are showing there. (I have, of course, seen other bugs where ships blow up and pieces go flying off at much more than lightspeed.)

2 hours ago, bewing said:

I just did a quickie test with a stock craft. Nothing happened. So there is a chance that it is craft-dependent -- Black-Two-, you may want to try the same test with a different craft and see what happens. You may also want to upload that craft file to some file sharing site, so we can all take a whack at it. Other than that, I'm out of ideas. I've never seen the precise bug you are showing there. (I have, of course, seen other bugs where ships blow up and pieces go flying off at much more than lightspeed.)

I downloaded a few crafts from kerbalX just to see if they also blew up, and they did so I don't think it's a craft problem. Do you want me to send you a save and logs?

Edit: I tried removing Making History and you know what? No more weird explosions... There's still a noticeable "shift" exactly when the transition to a new SOI happens but this has been going on for a while (at least for me) and the crafts survive now. And just to be clear, the craft I tested didn't have any MH parts on them but exploded when MH was installed but not after I removed it. No mods, fresh install (1.4.3.2152 Win x64), from GOG.

Edited by Black-Two-

10 minutes ago, bewing said:

Are you certain that your MH version matched your KSP version?

Not really, but I downloaded both KSP and MH from GOG and the readme.txt in the MH folder says "1.2.0 - Requires KSP 1.4.3" which I think is right.

Well, I see that SOMEONE decided to rouse the ol' Hell Kraken.

What speed are you crossing the SoI shifts, timewarp wise? If you're doing it at very high time warp, this is an old problem that's largely been resolved by simply crossing over at 5x.

I've had this happen, but haven't had time to do the due diligence enough to recreate it in stock and report it.

I've seen 2 flavors of it: The ships just explode, and the ships teleport to a random tracking station on the surface of Kerbin (maybe the one they were talking to when they passed the SOI) and then explode.

In both cases, F9 to restore the last quicksave is all that's needed to fix it. So, it doesn't seem all that reproducible.

14 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

In both cases, F9 to restore the last quicksave is all that's needed to fix it. So, it doesn't seem all that reproducible.

Tried it, no effect. I've tried different craft, different bodies, timewarp/no timewarp, with and without autostruts, quicksaving, reverting and nothing works. The only thing that does work is removing Making History.

Same here. Never happened to me before 1.4, but with 1.4.3 I had 6 or 7 disintegrations. Same log message (part x crashed into collider). Every part but the capsule (maybe because is root) is destroyed and, sometimes, the capsule gets thrown far beyond Jool's orbit.  I couldn't reproduce it consistently in my modded install, so didn't try unmoded. Unfortunately, I overwited the only quicksave I had before one of these RUD s. Happened with different crafts and none of them used autostrut. It seems like the game despawned the craft and spawned it again in the new SOI,  even when the craft don't explode it disappears for a tiny moment. I didn't notice that behaviour before 1.4 so it might be related to the unity upgrade. It's more noticeable when going from Minmus SOI to Kerbin. Transition from Mun to Kerbin is smoother and I cant even notice that "respawn". In my new 1.4.3 career didn't get beyond Minmus, but my probes to Moho and Eve are arriving soon. I will check and update here If something wrong happens.

I allways set KAC alarms and jump to ships when changing SOI, and try to change SOI with timewarp halted (got that habit back when the game didn't slow the warp on SOI changes), so I'm pretty sure this didn't happen before 1.4.

Fortunately, workaround is simple: activate minimum on-rails timewarp (x5) just before changing SOI and kill timewarp to enable physiscs just after the change (or let the ship change SOI unloaded).

Edited by DoToH

40 minutes ago, DoToH said:

Same here. Never happened to me before 1.4, but with 1.4.3 I had 6 or 7 disintegrations. Same log message (part x crashed into collider). Every part but the capsule (maybe because is root) is destroyed and, sometimes, the capsule gets thrown far beyond Jool's orbit.  I couldn't reproduce it consistently in my modded install, so didn't try unmoded. Unfortunately, I overwited the only quicksave I had before one of these RUD s. Happened with different crafts and none of them used autostrut. It seems like the game despawned the craft and spawned it again in the new SOI,  even when the craft don't explode it disappears for a tiny moment. I didn't notice that behaviour before 1.4 so it might be related to the unity upgrade. It's more noticeable when going from Minmus SOI to Kerbin. Transition from Mun to Kerbin is smoother and I cant even notice that "respawn". In my new 1.4.3 career didn't get beyond Minmus, but my probes to Moho and Eve are arriving soon. I will check and update here If something wrong happens.

I allways set KAC alarms and jump to ships when changing SOI, and try to change SOI with timewarp halted (got that habit back when the game didn't slow the warp on SOI changes), so I'm pretty sure this didn't happen before 1.4.

Fortunately, workaround is simple: activate minimum on-rails timewarp (x5) just before changing SOI and kill timewarp to enable physiscs just after the change (or let the ship change SOI unloaded).

Do you have Making History installed?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.