S or A  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you think is better?

6 hours ago, GoSlash27 said:

Replaceable battery.

Current ones are non-removable.

EDIT : For the record, once I used one that had removable batteries. But most of the stuff now don't - removable cover seems to be quite a hassle for the manufacturers.

Edited by YNM

8 hours ago, YNM said:

Current ones are non-removable.

I'd heard that Samsung was going back to the removable battery, at least in their Note model. I may be mistaken. If that is indeed the case, it's a deal breaker for me. I won't buy a phone that I can't change the battery in.

I've had the Note 4 since the day it was released, and I'm thrilled with it. They keep trying to "upgrade" me, but I'm sticking with it until it dies.

That being said... I don't go in for the "Apple vs. Samsung" fanboi nonsense. Find a phone you like and go with it.

Best,
-Slashy

Edited by GoSlash27

6 hours ago, GoSlash27 said:

I won't buy a phone that I can't change the battery in.

If only manufacturers would do that for flagships these days.

14 hours ago, YNM said:

14 hours ago, YNM said:

He means he wishes phone manufactures included removeable batteries in their top o' th' line phones.

On 5/24/2018 at 5:03 PM, GoSlash27 said:

I'd heard that Samsung was going back to the removable battery, at least in their Note model. I may be mistaken. If that is indeed the case, it's a deal breaker for me. I won't buy a phone that I can't change the battery in.

I've had the Note 4 since the day it was released, and I'm thrilled with it. They keep trying to "upgrade" me, but I'm sticking with it until it dies.

That being said... I don't go in for the "Apple vs. Samsung" fanboi nonsense. Find a phone you like and go with it.

Best,
-Slashy

I'll sell you a second with two batteries.

Do you want it?

Also-

If I had to choose between the two, Samsung for the win.

1 hour ago, KerBlitz Kerman said:

I'll sell you a second with two batteries.

Do you want it?

Also-

If I had to choose between the two, Samsung for the win.

KerBlitz,

Possibly. Who's the provider, How much internal memory, and what's the asking price?

Best,
-Slashy

i like samsung's monitors and hard drives, but thats about it. my 5th gen apple ipod still works, but probably because i hacked the firmware early on and disabled apples planned obsolescence device suicide code, and eliminated that horrible itunes crap from the equation with rockbox (i just copy files to it now). 

Let's see:

Should I pick one overpriced product, or another? Or maybe another overpriced option? This is no joke, smart phones are way overpriced. At least the flagship products are.

You can get one new for 40 bucks. Sure, it's not as fancy as the new ones nearing 1000 dollars in price, but, like a car, it doesn't have to be all that expensive. It just needs to work. And for a hundred or so more, you can get a rather decent phone, rivalling the fancier ones.

As for me, I'm stuck with with an iPhone. Not too expensive though. Although I might try out other brands in the future.

oh its about smart phones. wouldn't own one if you put a gun to my head. when i want to use a computer it will be a real one at a desk with a full size keyboard and a screen i dont have to squint at, not to mention being capable of compiling its own code. when in public and medicated to the gills (necessary for such an excursion) i will interact with other humans, assuming those other humans arent glued to screens.

On 5/24/2018 at 6:23 AM, invision said:

ive only used iphones because i get them for free so i cant complain. i also use to buy "broken" iphones and repair them, unlock them, and re-sell them for 250.00

Cool ,The iPhone unlock app isn't hard . like this https://www.iphonetransferrecovery.com/tutorials/forgot-iphone-screen-lock-passcode.html

Edited by Operaser

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, zanksrer said:

Both are great, and my brother uses iPhone, and I use Samsung , i think samsung is more perfect .

“More perfect” is a contradictio in terminis.

Neither of the brands seems to offer advantages over the other good enough to entice large amounts of users to switch.

Apple does a good job “locking users in,” but that’s mainly a result of offering convenience. I am far from an Apple fanboi (I use every excuse to not use the 23” iMac at work) but I do have an iPhone and iPad and every so often I get pleasently surprised with an “oh, it does that? Sweet!” moment. In that sense I have no inclination in considering a Galaxy as the nightmare associated with switching is bigger than whatever marginal advantages it would offer. That would be different if some monumental disaster struck, causing me to hate The iPhone/iPad combo, but as of yet that has not happened.

Surely the Galaxy’s are objectively better, I assume, but it’s probably like comparing roller coasters at Disney and Six Flags; they offer a different kind of experience and fans from both sides will accuse the other side from being savages for not understanding what a True Experience is, and how “theirs” offers it.

1 hour ago, Kerbart said:

Neither of the brands seems to offer advantages over the other good enough to entice large amounts of users to switch.

Manufacturers should provide servicing when their customers want it. Otherwise other people would start do it for them, whoever that person is. And then, at least let them do it.

I finally replaced the cracked screen (look top right, yes the photo is taken by an amazing old Nokia brick) on my phone (J7 Prime). Costed me about 45 dollars. Didn't even went to the proper service center and waited in line (there's always a line) - just went to a nearby mall, found a phone stall/counter that has it ready, and have it in. Waited for a day (<24 hrs even), and it's back. The new notification indicator looks a bit brighter but it's only a small change.

Trashing your device due to a tiny damage that could be repaired shouldn't be the norm.

repair_or_replace.png

Edited by YNM

2 hours ago, YNM said:

Manufacturers should provide servicing when their customers want it. Otherwise other people would start do it for them, whoever that person is. And then, at least let them do it. (...) Trashing your device due to a tiny damage that could be repaired shouldn't be the norm.

I absolutely agree with you, and the way Apple sabotages after-sales MNR is appalling.

At the same time, and I might not be a standard customer, I hardly run into those issues. What I do run into is replacing my iPad “2” with a 2017 model, and just holding my iPhone next to it to set it up and have everything up and running in a matter of minutes.

The XKCD comic does not take into account that labor costs rapidly exceed the hardware value of devices built to be small, not to be servicable. It takes a lot more labor for a $30,000 car to make replacing it viable (if ever) than it takes for a phone or personal device that costs the manufacturer $300 to replace. Wasteful, yes. But if you’re Apple totally understandable. Of course if they made their phones 2mm thicker and 15g heavier they could make half the parts easily replacable, but that’s not how their market works.

I dislike them both equally. The fact that there are apps you can't remove and things that you can't change but should be able to is unforgivable. With Apple, at least, you expect it. When I had an iPhone, I more or less took it for granted that it was locked down. When I got an Android, I knew that I would have a lot more customization options. That's why it's just that much more infuriating that I can't remove Tracebook, Direct TV, Uber, or anything by Samsung or Google. Sure, I can "disable" it, but it's still there taking up space (and possibly tracking me, idk.) I could root the phone or install another OS, but those both have risks and I don't want to ruin the thing.

Overall, I find it an insulting way to do business on the part of both Apple and Samsung and any other business that does this with their products. I'll probably go back to a flip phone eventually. It wouldn't be any more customizable, but I wouldn't feel like I need to remove anything.

Edited by MDZhB

1 hour ago, Kerbart said:

The XKCD comic does not take into account that labor costs rapidly exceed the hardware value of devices built to be small, not to be servicable. It takes a lot more labor for a $30,000 car to make replacing it viable (if ever) than it takes for a phone or personal device that costs the manufacturer $300 to replace.

People paid thousands of dollars for them. Did they just sank to nowhere ? Also, $300 is my monthly living cost, pretty much.

Louis Rossmann (video I posted) actually repair these stuff (well, he only do laptops and other larger stuff), and he can tell when the customer really want a repair and is willing to pay large sums of money for it, for a service that pleases the owner massively.

Then, if you haven't heard of Linus' iMac Pro...

1 hour ago, MDZhB said:

I'll probably go back to a flip phone eventually. It wouldn't be any more customizable, but I wouldn't feel like I need to remove anything.

Samsung still sell basic "feature" phones.

Edited by YNM

14 minutes ago, MDZhB said:

I actually still have my first flip phone.

I think we still have a Nokia E73. It's usage has been replaced by a Nokia Asha 210, which is about the same (bar the camera - E73 had a flash and 5MP while Asha 210 only has 2MP w/o flash). I still (somewhat) regularly use the 210. It has Twitter, Facebook, WhatsApp, it even runs fairly short YouTube videos ! (sadly this forum's text editor doesn't work on it !)

Edited by YNM

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.