KSP killed my computer

Dfthu

So two days ago I was testing my new SSTO. When I pulled up my wings sheared off and lagged my game for 10 seconds. I F9ed and pulled up again, but more carefully. Wings sheared off again. This time it lagged even more before my screen turned black. After another 10 seconds of that, KSP popped back up. Although the Navball was missing throttle and G-Force meter. For a few seconds the game ran but very laggy. The screen turned back again before popping up to KSP again, along with the bugged Navball. Finally the deathblow came with the Blue Screen of Death. After the Blue Screen ended the computer screen turned black with the computer still on. After trying everything  to fix it, nothing would turn it back on. Yesterday i brought to a repair shop. They should call me with the news today. I think I might of overheated it again, as that happened a few years ago.

I agree with @Geonovast. The worst one can say of KSP is that it stresses all parts of your system (GPU, CPU and chipset) so it is sure to find any Achilles' heel like an inadequate cooling system. But your PC would have died eventually, some time, when you ran any sufficiently stressful application.

Ventilation is key, and a heat sink wouldn’t hurt either. The stock ones that come with CPUs are insufficient and inefficient for any kind of serious gaming, especially one like KSP where adding mods just intensifies the stress and heats things up. If the stress goes on for too long you can warp, and fry your motherboard.

Edited by Galileo

I thought modern computers had heat sensors and should throttle down, or even shut down, when overheating to prevent damage.

Nonetheless, extended time at high temperatures can eventually cause something to fail. It can be something as simple as cracked solder or a failed capacitor

11 hours ago, Galileo said:

Ventilation is key, and a heat sink wouldn’t hurt either. The stock ones that come with CPUs are insufficient and inefficient for any kind of serious gaming, especially one like KSP where adding mods just intensifies the stress and heats things up. If the stress goes on for too long you can warp, and fry your motherboard.

both of my pc's  have stock heat sinks and one is OC 800mhz and the other 1ghz and both only go to about 50c under load. you most likely will never wrap any motherboard unless you threw it into a fire, and even if you managed to get your pc to oven temps they will simply throttle down or shut off.

14 minutes ago, invision said:

both of my pc's  have stock heat sinks and one is OC 800mhz and the other 1ghz and both only go to about 50c under load. you most likely will never wrap any motherboard unless you threw it into a fire, and even if you managed to get your pc to oven temps they will simply throttle down or shut off.

I have warped 2 mother boards in the last 2 years.

I render a lot of videos for work, so you can indeed warp them. It may be subtle, but they can. It doesn’t take over temps to warp them, just a consistent high heat can do it.

Edited by Galileo

12 minutes ago, Galileo said:

I render a lot of videos for work, so you can indeed warp them. It may be subtle, but they can. It doesn’t take over temps to warp them, just a consistent high heat can do it.

you should look into big cases with 5+ fans, it may sound like an airplane but will keep everything cool.

or perhaps water cool the video card which is where most of the heat is probably coming from

47 minutes ago, invision said:

you should look into big cases with 5+ fans, it may sound like an airplane but will keep everything cool.

or perhaps water cool the video card which is where most of the heat is probably coming from

That was with a big case with 7 fans I think. I do a lot of really intensive video editing and have practically melted my pc lol 

doesnt help that I overclock everything to squeeze the performance out of it all.

6 minutes ago, Galileo said:

That was with a big case with 7 fans I think. I do a lot of really intensive video editing and have practically melted my pc lol 

doesnt help that I overclock everything to squeeze the performance out of it all.

What is the ambient temperature in your house?!

My desktop machine gives me no problem (I'm "only" 4.1 GHz max turbo, can't make the overclocking work), with the heat sink that came in the box with the CPU.  System runs 40 C, CPU 62-68 C, and video 54 C or so when playing (or when running BOINC tasks in the background, on all eight cores and the GPU, as I'm doing now as I type).

My laptop, OTOH, with 3.5 GHz turbo, often throttles down as low as 400 MHz for heat control, even if I'm just in the VAB trying to stick parts together to make a spacecraft.  I need to get the thermal paste checked in that machine...

I recently had to replace all four fans in my PC because of dust buildup causing overheating, including the CPU and GPU fans (I needed a better GPU anyway, but it was even worse then the 15 year old case fans).  Don't forget to clean the dust out of your computer periodically.

Edited by Capt. Hunt

On 5/23/2018 at 9:46 PM, Galileo said:

What video editing software do you use?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.