[STOCK] 1:1 Lockheed F-104G Starfighter

GgpxL1y.png?1

lYLru7r.png

The F-104G was an export version of the original Starfighter built for the USAF in the early 60s. This aircraft saw extensive service with European countries, it was often used outside of it’s original role of a high speed interceptor, being assigned to low altitude ground attack missions which didn’t really suit it’s sluggish flight characteristics caused by high wing loading. It’s quirky flight characteristics and speed-focused, low lift design made it an exceptionally tough plane to fly in European conditions. Multiple accidents, often resulting in death of the pilot earned it the Widowmaker nickname among the German pilots. The Starfighter was a troubled, but a classic design and one of the first high mach interceptors in service. The G version features an additional dorsal fin for stability.

YN6q6QQ.png

nRvqPbM.png

qFLieNN.png

ylf5C6a.png

This plane also features a jettisonable canopy activated either through staging or the abort key.

Due to fairing drag issues present in 1.4.3. this planes speed is lowered. This is a game bug and will hopefully be fixed in the future.

Have fun flying!

RMK0ndj.png

DOWNLOAD LINK:

https://kerbalx.com/EvenFlow/F-104G-Starfighter

v1.0 - Initial release
v1.1 - Major changes to the canopy and the nose section of the airplane, they have been made more
proportional and pointy (thank you for the feedback selfish_meme!). Minor tweaks to the positioning of the undercarriage.
Vertical stabilizer leading edge angle has been corrected to match the real aircraft.

Edited by Dman979
Thread of the month!

16 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

I like really like it, but the cockpit seems too small, or maybe the front is too fat and not pointy enough, really good job though

Correct! Fixing it in the current version. Thank you so much for the feedback, this actually made me compare my model to the blueprints. It is still a tiny bit chubbier in the center fuselage section due to KSP part diameter limitations (0.625m fairings pls gib) but it looks far better with it's nose shape corrected and the canopy a tiny bit enlarged.

It's worth keeping in mind though that the version of the F-104 you are showing above seems to be an early prototype of the Starfighter - the XF-104 which was a bit shorter and smaller than the production variants and could make the canopy look bigger in relation to the fuselage. Here's a picture for context.

Image result for f-104 blueprint

EDIT: Craft updated. c:

Edited by EvenFlow

Another highly detailed and super smooth creation! I love every curve of it.

On 5/23/2018 at 9:42 PM, selfish_meme said:

I like really like it, but the cockpit seems too small, or maybe the front is too fat and not pointy enough, really good job though

I think it just isn't quite flattened out enough. The curvature is not perfect but constantly changing, it is not a function or a line, but rather a custom mold so it is impossible to model it perfectly. The outline of the cockpit where it connects to the fuselage however is a tad bit off, I think it isn't too long or short but rather not wide enough at dead center as it should be, but pretty dead on around the point and rear.

13 hours ago, He_162 said:

The outline of the cockpit where it connects to the fuselage however is a tad bit off, I think it isn't too long or short but rather not wide enough at dead center as it should be, but pretty dead on around the point and rear.

Yup, it is off. As mentioned, due to fairing cross-sections being circular it's really hard to model the fuselage correctly. In the F-104s case the fuselage gets a bit more elliptical towards the nosecone, i.e. height/width > 1 and it's hard to model that in KSP while staying true-to-scale sadly. If we had some more control over the shape of our fairings this could have been possible, 1.25m diameter of the fairing base is kinda limiting my options in regards to shaping the fuselage accurately too. :p

We need 0.625m fairings pretty bad btw.

• 4 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.