upgrading to 1.4.3

Didn't think "gameplay" was the proper place for this question...feel free to correct me.

I am downloading 1.4.3 as we speak. What folders should I copy and save from my old 1.3 install. I'm guessing my career folder, in "saves", complete, which should contain my career to date, ship and sub-assemblies and any "tweaks" to .cfg files pertaining to this career. Mods will have to be updated, of course so I wasn't going to save those. Anything I'm missing here?

Thanks gang!

Vic

Edited by strider3

Inside your saves folder, each individual folder contains a complete game save (the names are hints as to which they are: "My First Career" is the same name that displays on the "resume saved game" screen during game start), and those folders can be transferred intact from your old to your new installation folder -- just put them in the saves folder in the new install.

Or you could do what I've done, originally to let me play the same game on my desktop machine, and on my laptop when I'm out and about: make the saves folder a shortcut to the real folder, which goes in your Dropbox.  As long as the stuff inside looks like the original to the game, this works.  The easiest way to set it up is just to move (drag) the individual saves to a folder in your Dropbox named "saves" (without the quotes, of course), then drag each one back while holding the (IIRC, I'm not a Windows user any more) ALT key to create a shortcut.

I've done this since 1.3.1, and my current career save is accessible from my 1.3.1, 1.4.0, and 1.4.1 (with Making History) installs -- though of course the older version saves can't open craft files that contain DLC parts.  I'll soon be setting up 1.4.3 (with corresponding MH version) the same way.

I prefer to save my "saves" on another drive, reformat the KSP drive so it's nice and clean, then install the new KSP version and copy over my saves to it. Sounds like you all agree, in theory. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't leaving anything behind. This hasn't always worked (because I can be an idiot LOL)...moving to 1.3 using this same system caused me to lose all my saved ships and subassemblies. It ended up being a problem with the 1.3 download, AFAICT (and me "moving" my saves to the new KSP, instead of copying to make sure all was good before deleting).

Thanks gang.

I'd suggest waiting to upgrade until 1.4.4 comes out. They're working on it now. 

I've been wrestling with 1.4.x for months and they actually added new bugs in 1.4.3. The killer one for me is that all shrouds for engines and heat shields are visually messed.

I'm not that harsh on 1.4.3. It's working (almost) fine right now for new game saves and a moderate amount of add-ons (let's say, about 20 or 30).

But if you have ongoing missions on 1.3, I recommend you to keep playing 1.3 for while, and firing up 1.4.3 only for the new missions.

There was a few (intentional and unintentional) changes on 1.4.x that rendered some key (for me) add-ons problematic or useless and created a lot of nuisances on some others. The more add-ons you have,  biggest the chance you reach the "critical mass of nuisances" and get burnt by them.

Edited by Lisias
typos! arrrgh!

• 2 weeks later...

I remembered this thread this week, as a huge amount of mods were updated to 1.4 series on the past 10 days. It was kind of "annoying" because from all the times I restarted KSP, only a bunch didn't popup a message from KSP-AVC about a new version from a mod. :-)

(yeah, people love to complain).

In a way or another, keep an eye on the 1.4 series. As more mods are updated, your exposure to that "critical mass of nuisances" I mentioned gets smaller and smaller. Sooner or later, the 1.3 series tend to dust down and freeze in time, so kind of have to do it someday.

What I do is to keep a 'mirror' installment for 1.4.3 and 1.3.1 - I'm on 1.4.3 normally, but "back port" a save or another to 1.3.1 to test things. Using 1.3.1 and testing 1.4.3 is even easier, as you can plain copy your save game to 1.4.3 that everything works (most of time), so give it a try once a month (after updating the mods to that last version) to see what happens.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.