DEEPCORE-7

Castille7

DEEPCORE7
K&S Technologies Group

This project was inspired by the Drilling Rig DeepCore in the Motion Picture "The Abyss". I first started building an underwater base, got some ideas on what works underwater (Like what sinks what don't). Then I added drilling capabilities and refueling. The plan was to have Refueling Stations for a Submarine to have the ability to refuel for longer underwater adventures. I was going to set these up so that a Submarine could make trips around the near by Islands. As the project went on Versions changed and plans were changing. The DeepCore7 Rig works well but the Submarines where not cooperating. I plan to complete a small sub that will dock in the Rig's Docking Bay.

This has been a really fun project for us and I would like to thank @klond for his time and work on this one. He once again has added input and craft that really help my projects come more alive! From K&S Technologies Group thanks for watching and we hope you enjoy our projects as much as we enjoy making and sharing them with you.

0KkFsle.png

Spoiler

Dm3SW72.png

13sCFAQ.png

lUVXAjv.png

08mgVj7.png

PtqBKTO.png

6e0xnPa.png

KwIJJ4s.png

KjraM5f.png

Edited by Castille7

Phenomenal! It just looks so solid and strong, like it really is withstanding enormous pressures! I really mean it when I say this is one of the best looking crafts I've seen in KSP. I'm not sure exactly what it is, just the overall aesthetic is perfect. Would love to take this to the bottom of Laythe's ocean at the deepest point, nearly 3km down!

6 minutes ago, SuperHappySquid said:

Would love to take this to the bottom of Laythe's ocean at the deepest point, nearly 3km down!

Thank you for the nice comments man! and this would definitely be a challenge and look so nice on Laythe's Ocean Floor!

Edited by Castille7

1 hour ago, SuperHappySquid said:

How much does it weigh?

I will get back with you soon on this.....I owe...I owe....it's off to work I go!

Edited by Castille7

23 hours ago, SuperHappySquid said:

How much does it weigh?

DeepCore7 - Weights

Spoiler

As is ready to go out to the Ocean

bflaIti.png

Without Pontoons

hSnEZ0A.png

Here I removed the Ore, keep in mind these tanks were not completely filled, some were empty or partially emptied to submerge level.

OWzoOiD.png

Edited by Castille7

1 hour ago, SuperHappySquid said:

Wow, 1400 parts! Would it sink without ore? Have you tried getting it off-world?

Ore very necessary, and I never gave it any thought about getting it off Kerbin. I would say it’s doable.

This is really inspirational stuff, especially as I dabbled with some experimentation recently.

So here's a question to you: what do you think is the minimal amount of ore mass to get a viable minimalist drilling rig down to the undersea bed.

So one drill plus infrastructure (power plus radiators) fuel tanks for storage plus one habitat module (e.g. Hitchhiker) plus a dock for a sub (possibly via Klaw)?

With two ore tanks (total 3,000), I found just extending the radiators caused it to lift-off from the bottom.  And apparently, drills do not in any way anchor the base to the sea floor...?

14 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

This is really inspirational stuff, especially as I dabbled with some experimentation recently.

So here's a question to you: what do you think is the minimal amount of ore mass to get a viable minimalist drilling rig down to the undersea bed.

So one drill plus infrastructure (power plus radiators) fuel tanks for storage plus one habitat module (e.g. Hitchhiker) plus a dock for a sub (possibly via Klaw)?

With two ore tanks (total 3,000), I found just extending the radiators caused it to lift-off from the bottom.  And apparently, drills do not in any way anchor the base to the sea floor...?

(This is really inspirational stuff, especially as I dabbled with some experimentation recently.)
Thank you!!

(So here's a question to you: what do you think is the minimal amount of ore mass to get a viable minimalist drilling rig down to the undersea bed.)
The amount of Ore depends on how many parts that are use with buoyancy, some items like the MK1 have lots of buoyancy and require lots of weight to submerge them.

(So one drill plus infrastructure (power plus radiators) fuel tanks for storage plus one habitat module (e.g. Hitchhiker) plus a dock for a sub (possibly via Klaw)?)
Yes the Klaw is very useful for these task, but not my preference

(With two ore tanks (total 3,000), I found just extending the radiators caused it to lift-off from the bottom.  And apparently, drills do not in any way anchor the base to the sea floor...?)
Extending radiators creates lift is interesting and sounds useful, thanks for sharing this. Not sure about the drills anchoring I haven't tested this.

2 hours ago, wile1411 said:

That looks awesome - great work! I especially like the Moon pool. Design- wise, I also really like how you constructed the "legs" as they look like a single part when viewed from afar.

Thank you wile1411!

I found someones 3D art work with this Drilling Rig that also inspired this build

-08-625772.jpg

Edited by Castille7

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.