low munar flight help.

ok, so ive had my munar surface station with MSL for awhile, and i have a munar orbital station/refueler but my science lab is hungry for more science.

ive used KIS/KAS to build a crap little biome hopper that has 1800 dv and all science gizmos near the surface station, and the plan was to send the hopper out with a scientist, get science in a biome, then come back to the station to research the science in the lab.

the problem is my low munar flight though, for the life of me i cannot launch my hopper from the surface station, and get to my destination(east side crater is my current goal) withought getting orbit first, but going all the way up to orbit, then to my destination, then landing, then launching again to orbit, back to my station and landing uses up to much DV, can anybody offer me some suggestions, or insite as to how to pull this off successfully?

i also have brainstormed another plan to send a ship up to my orbital station, the ship has 6 science probes in it and my intention was to dock with the station then momentarily drop probes to the surface to get science and then fly the probes back to my surface station for research and transmission. i dont have pictures of the hopper right now, but i do have pictures of the science probe thingy.

p8eKZAd.png

Why exactly cant you do the hop with the hopper without getting to orbit?if you just make a takeoff in a highly inclined vector, you can control from map view your landing site (the end of your suborbital blue line). Are you burning too much time?

9 minutes ago, Rauko said:

Why exactly cant you do the hop with the hopper without getting to orbit?if you just make a takeoff in a highly inclined vector, you can control from map view your landing site (the end of your suborbital blue line). Are you burning too much time?

I  must  not  be  launching  correctly, and  I  have  trouble  reading  the  navball  when  I'm  not  in  the  air.

I usually first aim the camera in my flight direction. Then roll (Mun low gravity lets you roll) the hopper until it points that direction (when pressing W it turns "towards the background"). Then just burn while pressing W until it is flying inclined 45 degrees or so. When I start falling, switch to retrograde and wait for the right moment to start burns for a calm landing. (No need for a suicide)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.