Im freaking out right now Help ASAP

Mudkip909

I woke up to see a file on my desktop. It said readme. I opened it.

then it said:

Sorry.

We appreciate your help.

I cant rember the 3rd bit, but at the end it had a signature with random letters and numbers.

UPDATE:

Here is the text inside it, I opened it with notepad++ to get this, Yet the first time I opened it with notepad.

Sorry.

We appreciate your help. Thank you.

Have a nice day.

-ruseuaHEha391Heajh81H8ejajfiw11428dsia

What file extension does it have?

But in any case mighty weird if there's no rational explanation for it appearing there.

But if it's any consolation at all, there's nothing sinister on the (usual) search engine for the readable text, and the gobbledegook at the bottom is a Googlewhackblat (i.e. one unique hit) pointing to this thread... so there's not a lot of folk out there who have seen this, if it is a result of malware.

Do hope its not something nasty.

1 hour ago, Mudkip909 said:

What do you mean?

Didn't know whether you were kidding or not.

But if you really were sober, try combing the processes in Task Manager. See if anything odd comes up.

3 hours ago, Mudkip909 said:

If I had to guess, I'd say it was a poorly parsed command string, like maybe something font related "-r use blah blah blah blah flags etc" ... the repetitive 'H' is significant.

In any case;
#1) turn your machine off at night, or switch off the wifi when not in use for long periods
#2) run some scan utilities on your machine (Malwarebytes, SpyBot, etc)
#3) check if someone else has had access... family, friend, foe

And an afterthought...
Try opening the file with a Hex editor and see what else is in there (non-printable characters).

Edited by LordFerret

3 hours ago, Mudkip909 said:

Sorry.

We appreciate your help. Thank you.

Have a nice day.

Its always the most boring explanation in real life.

Yes it might be related to malware but its far more likely (going on known data) that someone is messing with you.

Anyone else have access to the computer? Any siblings, housemates or other users? Your computer networked to anything?

If you said that you were a student in a dorm or hall of residence or something, I'd be almost certain this was  a prank.

If its malware, its highly  unusual for them to advertise their activity, this message serves no purpose whatsoever other than to spook you. If its malware or other unauthorised activity, they have now increased the risk that you will take action, at least to halt whatever activity may be happening, and if the malware no longer has a use for your machine then why the message? 

I cant rule out malware or other activity but theres my 2 pence.

14 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

Kind of sounds like a ransomware attack, with the garbled string as an address to send cryptocurrency.

Its missing a key thing to be ransomware....any threats or demands. Or any information at all.

17 hours ago, Mudkip909 said:

Notice the first 4 characters?

Smacks of red herring, ie: the string means nothing its just there to help scare you.

For what its worth, I once woke up after a party to find a text file on my desktop with a phone number on its and a girls name. First thought was that a girl liked me and wanted me to have her number. HA!

Turns out someone else got a girls number and need to quickly note it down, borrowed my computer to do so.

In conclusion, it could be something related to hacking, but if it is, its highly unusual.

If it was me, I'd revisit my security measures, make sure im not being too vulnerable, but in the absence of any other noticable effects, probably just delete the file and ignore it.

15 hours ago, p1t1o said:

Its always the most boring explanation in real life.

Yes it might be related to malware but its far more likely (going on known data) that someone is messing with you.

Anyone else have access to the computer? Any siblings, housemates or other users? Your computer networked to anything?

If you said that you were a student in a dorm or hall of residence or something, I'd be almost certain this was  a prank.

Ahhh ya beat me to it....

15 hours ago, p1t1o said:

, I'd revisit my security measures,

Which includes a time autolock and password protecting the login. 

BUt just in case, run a virus scan with current libraries. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.