Sending a mobile base to Eeloo = Worth it?

Zosma Procyon

I have a launch window for Eeloo coming up in about 120 in game days, and I am considering sending a mobile ground base all the way out there. The question is would it be worth it. I've noticed there are a few new biomes that I haven't observed yet, and the dwarf's terrain is flat enough to make long range drives worth it, but the distance from Kerbol makes solar power useless. So to power the electric wheels I'd need either a metric f*ckton of NUK's and fuel cells, or need to experiment with alternative propulsion methods. As I'm typing this I just thought of using NERV's to push it a long the ground, like I do with et engines on my boat bases.

So anyway, does anyone think its worth it to send a mobile base out there? I'm probably going to do it. I like the idea of a nuclear rocket propelled ground vehicle. That makes me smile.

5 hours ago, Zosma Procyon said:

So anyway, does anyone think its worth it to send a mobile base out there? I'm probably going to do it. I like the idea of a nuclear rocket propelled ground vehicle. That makes me smile.

Who cares what anybody else think. Do it, overdo it, and send us the screenshots :D

• 1 year later...

Solar power is not totally useless at Eeloo but you need more panels, meaning it's probably most useful on satellites.

A rover can go a very long way on fuel cells and a fairly small tank of fuel. 

24 minutes ago, Foxster said:

A rover can go a very long way on fuel cells and a fairly small tank of fuel. 

I saw someone doing a cool trick recently. Using an RTG to recharge a battery bank. The battery bank gives u decent range and the RTG lets you recharge them regardless of sun anywhere. It works out to be a pretty low weight solution too.

(I do prefer the fuel cell method myself though. I did 7 vertical kilometres in Kerbin G on one of those little gold, “Baguette” fuel tanks. You could probably do way more in low G under low load.)

Edited by Guest

On 5/24/2018 at 7:10 PM, Zosma Procyon said:

Sure, it's always worth doing something different, even utterly mad!

Something like this is underway to Eeloo in my game. 
NDTetDsh.png

Love the retractable wheels from the surface bases mod, yes could used wheels who folded up with the new parts but needed grinders to stand on anyway. 
For me its worth it as the wheels just add an faction to the weight and its nice to move base just to refuel stuff who has landed 100 meter away. 

FHiV4b9h.png
Driving on Ike trying to find a flatter spot to set up base, will have to break out the rover tucked away below the antenna as its faster and easier to drive :) 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.