Kerbal Community Chronicles- The "Open Source" Mission Report! [Chapter 1: To The Mun!]

OHNwebN.png

Okay, so what is this? Good Question!

There's a couple of interesting twists to this one.

First: A new chapter will be released for every StarMods showcase. WHEN A MOD IS SHOWCASED, IT WILL BE ADDED TO THE GAME AND ITS DEPENDENCIES. NO OTHER MODS ARE ALLOWED (except Hyperedit, Camera Tools, and other mods used only for plot reasons. THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE VISUAL MODS, AS THEY ARE SOMETIMES SHOWCASED). Each chapter should showcase something from that week's mod. The mods won't be removed afterwards or anything, they'll just keep piling up- I plan to restart this series after each major version (aka KSP 1.5)

(If this part sounds familiar, it's because I may have tried this before.)

SECOND: I'm not going to be writing all of this. Just the first (and last?) chapter (you'll probably be glad I'm not writing all of this after the first chapter, I'm not great). Every week, people can volunteer to make a chapter using the save file and mod list. The author of the previous chapter can choose from these people who will write the next chapter. They can make it in any format (graphic novel, video, just story w/ pictures, maybe even a MHE mission), add whatever plot twists they like, and interpret whatever happened in previous chapters however they like. The only catch is that they MUST demonstrate the mod in some way, while advancing whatever plot develops. Make sure your chapter doesn't accidentally retcon anything! By the way, no one should go twice in a row, so If you did the last chapter, you can't nominate yourself.

SAVE FILE LINK (5/24/2018)

Why is it in Science mode? I thought that would help the plot a bit, I guess. If there's a problem with that, it could be easily changed to Sandbox mode.

Current Modlist:

Mod (Unbundled Dependency)

Spoiler

-Snarkiverse (Kopernicus)

Chapter 2 applicants/volunteers/etc.:

@Gyrfalcon5

Index:

J81oQKj.png?1Chapter 1: To the Mun! (by @ThatGuyWithALongUsername)

Spoiler

The Kerbal Space Program had been around for a few years by now. It had accomplished some amazing things, such as reaching space and orbiting Kerbin, but all of these accomplishments would pale in comparison to their goal: the KSP was formed to place a kerbal on the mun. They had advanced towards that goal so quickly and so vigorously that there was almost no doubt that they would one day manage, but it was only when the Kopernicus 6 mission was vertical on the launch pad that they realized that this day had finally come.

Despite their progress, the launch vehicle was ready much earlier than expected. In the rush to reach the mun, the agency did not take the time to develop externally mounted batteries, relying entirely on what was stored in the capsule. The agency did not have time to develop large liquid fueled engines, and the ascent would be mainly powered by dangerous, uncontrollable solid rocket boosters. Many thought it was unsafe, and that they shouldn't have rushed development. But on the other side of the planet, another giant rocket was taking shape, and the folks at KSC knew that they had to get to the Mun first.

While Jeb sat in the cramped, 1-kerbal command pod, he did not think of such things. He didn't especially care about safety, perhaps less than management wanted him to. As for the rivalry, most of the space center tended to dismiss it, as they felt that the KSP's purpose was to explore the universe, not just race against other Kerbals. They felt that space was a place for all of kerbalkind, and such divisions had no place there.

What Jeb was focused on was the countdown.

"3...

PP3HNgk.png

...liftoff!"

FgMWsgV.jpg

The rocket thundered into the air with greater power than any other *successfull* rocket had before it. The rocket did not turn easily, so it was a good thing that Jeb was not going to a parking orbit first. The Mun, at periapsis, was not too far away.

In what Jeb felt was nowhere near long enough, the first stage ran out of fuel and the second stage was soon lit. It was somewhat more controllable, thanks to the gimballing on the liquid-fueled core.

X7UBfiP.png

The speed was exhilarating. Jeb loved it. The boosters didn't burn out until he was almost in space already, and the transfer stage gave him a quick encounter.

dCQWSZU.png

In only a couple of hours, Jeb became the first kerbal to enter another body's sphere of influence. The transfer stage was ignited for a second and final time, and for a brief moment, Jeb was the first kerbal to orbit another celestial body. Jeb did some science before preparing for final descent.

cQNCtzB.jpg

Jeb was not aiming fo anwhere in particular on the surface, and simply began landing in the most convenient spot, which happened to be the basin of a small crater. However, on descent, his ship's scanners detected something strange in the composition of the munar dust on the crater's rim, and KSC ordered him to try to land there instead. 

oNSP2sz.png

pJd0Hwo.jpg

It was a tricky landing, and a flaw had been discovereed with the spacecraft's landing legs that would cause it to tip over on rough terrain without SAS. Mission control worried that that could drain the limited battey supply, reminding Jeb that the engine had no alternator. However, on the mun, Jeb had other things on his mind...

R4JUgOM.png

...he had just become the first kerbal on the mun.

8Y6KOZZ.png

After admiring the view for a while, Jeb collected all the science he could, including a surface sample from the strange terrain. It did not seem very mun-like to him. He was sure that the lab boys would have an interesting explanation for this one.

As he finished storing the experiments in the command [pods, the lights flickered and went out. Mission control was right- he had lost power! To make matters worse, without the SAS supporting the ship, he could feel the ship begin to fall. Before he knew it,  he was sideways on the munar plains. He tried to contact mission control, but he was on his own. He decided that he had to leave immediately.

v2aNJcK.png

Thankfully, the lander's engine could still be manually controlled. Jeb wasn't sure how exactly, but that didn't matter to him at the moment. After reaching orbit, Jeb decided to use his EVA suit's life support equipment, which was surprisingly capable. He would also gather more science while in orbit, knowing it would please mission control. He then watched as a small blue disc began to appear over the horizon- Kerbin. He watched in awe as the planet came into view.

hDpELuw.png

Using some scratch paper and some quick maths, Jeb determined when he should plot the escape burn. It would be close to the Mun's apoapsis,  when the Mun would be much farther from Kerbin than when he arrived, and he could take advantage of the Oberth affect to conserve fuel. Surprisingly, a few minutes after the Kerbinrise, he heard a cackling on his suit's radio.

"This is mission control. You're doing great! Our team has run the numbers, and we have a plan to get you home. We-"

"Don't worry, I've got this!"

"...That's what you said before you crashed our trainer jet into the ocean last month, Jeb. Are you sure?"

Although he didn't want to show it, Jeb actually was happy to hear from mission control again. He was starting to feel a bit lonely.Who knew floating through space, a dangerous, unexplored wasteland, riding an explosion-powered thingy, could be so boring?

Jeb tried to ignore their advice while he performed his escape burn, but he reluctantly had to give in when they told him how long he should burn to lower his periapsis inside the atmosphere.

mlgAgO7.jpg

After two long days in space, Kopernicus-6 began to fall through the atmosphere, in the most "awesome" re-entry Jeb had ever experienced.The parachute worked perfectly, and Jeb was finally home.

exLN7mF.png

A few days later, researchers at the space center's R&D department were busy analyzing the data from the mission, which returned over 500 units of scientific knowledge to Kerbin! The data was sure to spark a new era in planetary geology and space exploration.

It was that evening that Gene Kerman got a mysterious message from Vernher Von Kerman.

"We have analyzed the surface sample. The results were very unexpected. This cannot a natural phenomena. Please meet me in private as soon as possible."

Edited by ThatGuyWithALongUsername

13 hours ago, Gyrfalcon5 said:

Cool! COOL! I'd just LOVE to write a chapter! Where do I sign up?!

This is insanely unique. I;m very impressed and I hope to see this evolve with many writing styles. (Hopefully mine too :sticktongue:)

Thank you very much! I hope to see many different writing styles as well. To "sign up" just say you're interested- I'll put your name in the OP and choose between whoever else is interested by Monday.

Still not sure if that's the best way (author of last chapter chooses author of next chapter), would a poll work better?

Ok, I know this was a day late, but this week's mod is Advanced fly-by-wire! @Gyrfalcon5, you're the only one who expressed interest, so it looks like you'll have to fly a plane somewhere... if you don't have a controller just use a keyboard and have Jeb comment on the handling or something. Remember to use the save file!

P.S. just remember you can make it a sandbox if you want

Dun dun dun....

Just now, kerbalstar said:

Just now, kerbalstar said:

Dun dun dun..

On 5/24/2018 at 7:02 PM, ThatGuyWithALongUsername said:

Please meet me in private as soon as possible.

Sorry, mobile.

8 hours ago, kerbalstar said:

Dun dun dun....

Sorry, mobile.

It honestly took me a minute to figure out what was going on here (the fact that I forgot that line was in the story didn't help)...

Anyway, thanks for your support!

Chapter 2 looks like it will be written by @Gyrfalcon5, but I haven't heard anything from him saying he can do it...

13 minutes ago, ThatGuyWithALongUsername said:

It honestly took me a minute to figure out what was going on here (the fact that I forgot that line was in the story didn't help)...

Anyway, thanks for your support!

Chalter 2 looks like it will be written by @Gyrfalcon5, but I haven't heard anything from him saying he can do it...

Yeah, sorry about that. As soon as I have time today, I'll go ahead an get the screenshots necessary for the story. (Jeb's flight, specifically) I can probably get it done in a couple days time, so you can count on me!

6 minutes ago, Gyrfalcon5 said:

Yeah, sorry about that. As soon as I have time today, I'll go ahead an get the screenshots necessary for the story. (Jeb's flight, specifically) I can probably get it done in a couple days time, so you can count on me!

Ok, thanks! Can't wait to see the final product!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, a cool logo was promised, so a cool logo you shall recieve! I guess it also works as a patch-y thing for contributors.I made it myself, so I hope it isn't too terrible.

Assuming that the next StarMods is next Monday, if you want to write chapter 3, say something!

As for @Gyrfalcon5, don't feel pressured or anything. If it's not done by whenever the next StarMods is released, we'll wait. Real life comes first. Besides, there wouldn't be many people waiting, we don't have many followers :sticktongue:.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.