any cool things to do in ksp no mods

1 hour ago, arkness said:

just anything cool to do in game without mods including little tricks like the "alt f12" cheat

Yes, lots.

Mods can add extra 'stuff', or make things look nicer or make things a bit easier maybe, but they are not essential to play it.

On 5/25/2018 at 6:40 AM, arkness said:

just anything cool to do in game without mods including little tricks like the "alt f12" cheat

Depends on what you mean by cool things to do. How about these.

• Complete the Jool 5.
  • A manned Eve return mission.
  • Air drop a rocket to a some distant location on Kerbin and launch from there.
  • Make mini planes or rovers.
  • Visit all the anomaly sites and take vacation snaps of your visit.

Edited by purpleivan

4 hours ago, pandaman said:

Mods can...make things a bit easier...

...or make things a bit harder if you're into that.

I would have stopped playing a long time ago if it weren't for mods.  I probably shouldn't be in this thread.

1 hour ago, putnamto said:

build a space station!!

build a space station....orbiting the mun!!
build a space station........orbiting minmus!!!
buil......you get the point.

The contract system lacks imagination as it's a machine and cannot lead you towards complicated long term goals.  You're free to make your own.

How about, build a fuel depot orbiting minmus and a surface miner to serve it.

Attempt a double-capture of an asteroid - first into wide Kerbin orbit then wide Munar orbit by finessing it into munar intercepts.

Clean up your own space debris in as amusing a manner as you can contrive.

etc.

Edited by Corona688

The entire game is designed to be played without mods (although many think delta-v should be included in the game).

So career mode?  Science mode?  Sandbox mode is still better, but here mods excel.

Expect to want to have a spreadsheet running that computes delta-v.  It doesn't need to be complicated and you can probably use google sheets or some other mobile spreadsheet if you are on a console without a computer nearby.

On 5/25/2018 at 8:08 AM, Corona688 said:

The contract system lacks imagination as it's a machine and cannot lead you towards complicated long term goals.  You're free to make your own.

How about, build a fuel depot orbiting minmus and a surface miner to serve it.

Attempt a double-capture of an asteroid - first into wide Kerbin orbit then wide Munar orbit by finessing it into munar intercepts.

Clean up your own space debris in as amusing a manner as you can contrive.

etc.

i wasnt meaning it like a bad thing, i love space stations, in fact im going to upgrade my cpu so that i can make bigger ones.

Just yesterday, I finished constructing a very basic 8-part paramotor (jet engine, landing gear, Command Seat, plus a reaction wheel and battery, pilot's EVA parachute for lift) and "helped" Jeb fly it more than 700 km.  This was for a challenge from the Challenges sub-forum ("Go Far, Get Light").  This was 100% stock 1.4.3.  It has been shown that you can construct a flyable atmospheric craft with just four parts -- three if you don't care if you can land.

Other things you can do: go anomaly hunting (certain scanner parts will turn up "anomalies" that include things like the Munar Arch, Neil Armstrong Memorial, those monoliths, the corpse of the Kraken, and so forth).

Go spelunking.  No, seriously, there's a huge cave on one of the bodies.

Explore Kraken drives (ship propulsion based on exploiting the physics errors in the game).

I haven't gotten into mods, yet; the only one I use in my career is Better Burn Time, which (IMO) ought to be the stock way the game does what it does.  The day will come -- I want to set up a full RSS/RP1 (Real Solar System/Realistic Progression 1) game, even if I have to go back to 1.3.1 to do it.  I've been interested in rocket fuel tradeoffs since NASA was still launching only two men at a time, and the primitive rocket engines from the 1950s and 1960s fascinate me, in part because they're within the capability of an amateur to construct.

Try making a twice-orbiting rocket... I.E. one you launch to orbit around Kerbin, land on Kerbin, then return to orbit, then land again.

However, if you are open to using mods... Kerbal Inventory System and Kerbal Attachment System are two of my favorite mods. Forget an antenna on your station? Fly out a new one and just bolt it on!

20 hours ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Kerbal Inventory System and Kerbal Attachment System are two of my favorite mods. Forget an antenna on your station? Fly out a new one and just bolt it on!

KIS/KAS are two of the more interesting mods I think. They allow really cool construction techniques, like building massive ships in orbit! Exactly as Maverick says... Forget an antenna, enough solar panels etc etc.. 

As for stock, I have found trying to repeat basic achievements that you have done stock under Caveman rules is quite a challenge, and really rewarding (As in land on the Mun, leave Kerbin's SOI, build a SSTO Spaceplane, make a space station etc.)  

Edited by Andetch

I have spent most of my KSP career building stuff without modded parts.  I've spent I don't even know how much time designing and testing cargo SSTO spaceplanes and tweaking the designs to be the most efficient they can be.  I've also spent a good deal of time making BDArmory dogfighters, although that does require the BDA mod.  I tried to keep the craft 100% stock aside from the weapons systems, and I have stock versions of all of them.  Doing challenges can be fun too, especially in the stock category.  If you like flying better than building, just download stock stuff from KerbalX and have a go.  There's plenty of frankly amazing things posted all the time in the Spacecraft Exchange, stuff I just wouldn't even think of making.  Check out SkunkTwerk's all stock Star Wars stuff if you want to be truly amazed.  But yeah, mods aren't bad, I've been toying with the idea of getting a MKS focused career game going, perhaps using FAR and some of the more OP but expensive engine stuff, just so I can make something like a tramp space freighter that is both effective and reasonably functional (the Millennium Falcon isn't an effective freighter, as awesome as it is and the aerodynamics are just...... ), but I digress.  Yeah, there's plenty to do stock, the sky actually isn't the limit.

doesnt involve mods but if you enable infinite propellant etc. and make a spacecraft in the hangar with an mk1 cockpit, 2 big-s spaceplane tail fins on the sides, and a vector engine attached to the cockpit with some landing gear can be pretty fun to use

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.