[1.5 - 1.12.5] BetterSRBs [v1.2.6] [30 June 2021]

OhioBob

• 1 month later...

UPDATE

Version 1.0.10

• Deleted TweakScale config.

New parts added by BetterSRBs are no longer scalable.  This may break saved craft.

See opening post for download link and instructions.

Edited by OhioBob

@OhioBob Just a heads-up: ReStock adds gimbals to most (all?) SRBs like the Flea but it hands the SRBs off to BetterSRBs if it detects it. I noticed that this causes the Flea to not have a Gimbal with BetterSRBs installed.

Is that a "whoops" or a "feature, not a bug"?

7 minutes ago, Jognt said:

@OhioBob Just a heads-up: ReStock adds gimbals to most (all?) SRBs like the Flea but it hands the SRBs off to BetterSRBs if it detects it. I noticed that this causes the Flea to not have a Gimbal with BetterSRBs installed.

Is that a "whoops" or a "feature, not a bug"?

That's a feature.  I consider the Flea and Hammer to be too primitive to be gimballed.  BetterSRBs doesn't introduce SRB gimballing until we get to the Thumper.

1 minute ago, OhioBob said:

That's a feature.  I consider the Flea and Hammer to be too primitive to be gimballed.  BetterSRBs doesn't introduce SRB gimballing until we get to the Thumper.

Cheers. Gimbal indeed felt a bit too luxurious for the small fries :)

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Tabris said:

bug report:

1. the "Lance" SRB has no sound when running

2. the engine effect on the Lance continues to play before engine start and after flame out

It works OK for me.  I can't fix what I can't reproduce.  If you want me to help you, you're going to have to figure out what's breaking it (probably one of the other mods you have installed).

Edited by OhioBob

• 3 months later...

UPDATE

Version 1.1.0

Changelog

• Provide support for SRBs added in KSP 1.8 and MH 1.8.
  • Changed required technology for mod-added SRBs.
  • Changed cost of Mk4 nosecone.
  • Reduced Kickback gimbal range.

Although the most recent KSP update has added a 1.875-m SRB and nosecone, you get these parts only with the Making History DLC.  BettersSRBs has, therefore, retained its 1.875-m SRBs and accessories, which you get with or without the DLC.  The added SRBs also nicely complement the "Pollux", providing a good range of sizes with no duplication.

Known issue - Although part upgrades are correctly applied, the Tech Tree no longer displays the new stats for the upgraded parts.

Edited by OhioBob

• 3 months later...

UPDATE

Version 1.1.1

Changelog

• Disable custom texture for BACC Mk2 "Ram" SRB.

This update is a quick fix for KSP v1.9.0.  The custom paint job given the BACC Mk2 "Ram" in previous versions does not work on the new part model, so it was necessary to disable it.  Consequently, the BACC Mk2 now has an identical appearance to the BACC "Thumper".  It is my hope that a new custom paint job will be provided in a future release. 

Edited by OhioBob

UPDATE

Version 1.2.0

Changelog

• Added selectable grain geometry using B9 Part Switch.
  • Tweaked default thrust curve.
  • Revived custom texture for BACC Mk2 "Ram" SRB.

On 5/26/2018 at 8:20 AM, OhioBob said:

BetterSRBs

((Moderator  trimmed))

Algunos mods se excluyen intencionalmente para no alterar el equilibrio interno de esos mods en particular (BDB), o porque el mod está haciendo lo suyo con los SRB (SSTU). Si hay otros paquetes de piezas que le gustaría ver incluidos, avíseme y veré qué puedo hacer para agregarlos.

works for 1.4.4?

11 hours ago, Xander el interplanetario said:

works for 1.4.4?

No.  I don't remember exactly why it doesn't work for pre-1.5 versions, but it had something to do with Squad deprecating old parts and replacing them with new versions.

By the way, did you really need to quote the entire opening post?  Can you edit your post to delete the unnecessary wall of text?

Edited by OhioBob

On 18/2/2020 at 16:35, OhioBob said:

No. No recuerdo exactamente por qué no funciona para las versiones anteriores a la 1.5, pero tenía algo que ver con que Squad desaprobara las piezas viejas y las reemplazara por versiones nuevas.

Por cierto, ¿realmente necesitabas citar toda la publicación de apertura? ¿Puedes editar tu publicación para eliminar el muro de texto innecesario?

WAIT IT WORKS FOR 1.4.4 TANKS!!

I really like how SRBs work now, and the changes actually make early-game JNSQ easier. I'm wondering why the Flea and Hammer feel so underwhelming now though.

The Flea has a max thrust of 105 kN even with the upgrade, while the Shrimp has 175 kN from the start. I've found myself ditching Fleas to put Shrimps on instead. I am using UnKerballed Start, which may change the progression logic, but what was your reasoning for the progression of the SRBs in the tech tree?

1 hour ago, Kwebib said:

I really like how SRBs work now, and the changes actually make early-game JNSQ easier. I'm wondering why the Flea and Hammer feel so underwhelming now though.

The Flea has a max thrust of 105 kN even with the upgrade, while the Shrimp has 175 kN from the start. I've found myself ditching Fleas to put Shrimps on instead. I am using UnKerballed Start, which may change the progression logic, but what was your reasoning for the progression of the SRBs in the tech tree?

Everything has been computed based on the size and shape of the booster.  The Shrimp is long and narrow in comparison to the Flea, therefore it has a longer channel running through the center of the fuel grain with more exposed surface area.  Therefore it burns its fuel more rapidly with a greater thrust.  But because the Shrimp is narrower, it doesn't burn as long because there is less fuel thickness to burn through.  The upgraded Flea actually delivers greater impulse (thrust * time) than the Shrimp, but it does so in a different way.  The Shrimp delivers greater thrust for a shorter time, and the Flea delivers lesser thrust for a longer time.  This gives you options so you can pick the one that best suits your needs.

Edited by OhioBob
spelling

• 1 month later...

No matter how much solid fuel I set boosters to have in the VAB, they always end up full on the launchpad. Stock, Restock+ and RLA reborn SRBs all affected, version 1.2.0 in KSP 1.8.1, with or without B9 part switch for the fuel grains. Setting a booster to 0 fuel works but any other value will end up as full on the pad. Tested on a clean KSP 1.8.1 install with nothing but better SRBs, module manager and RLA reborn (to check if stock and/or mod SRBs were affected).

41 minutes ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

No matter how much solid fuel I set boosters to have in the VAB, they always end up full on the launchpad. Stock, Restock+ and RLA reborn SRBs all affected, version 1.2.0 in KSP 1.8.1, with or without B9 part switch for the fuel grains. Setting a booster to 0 fuel works but any other value will end up as full on the pad. Tested on a clean KSP 1.8.1 install with nothing but better SRBs, module manager and RLA reborn (to check if stock and/or mod SRBs were affected).

The slider shows full on the launch pad, but the mass of propellant is what you set it to in the VAB.  For instance, let's say a SRB holds 1000 units of solid fuel.  You turn the slider down to 50%, decreasing the fuel load to 500 units.  When you send the SRB to the launch pad, the fuel slider will show 100%, but you have only 500 units of fuel on board as intended.  This is not normal behavior for stock KSP, but it is for BetterSRBs.  It is necessary that KSP thinks the SRB is fully loaded with fuel or else the thrust curves won't work properly.

17 hours ago, OhioBob said:

The slider shows full on the launch pad, but the mass of propellant is what you set it to in the VAB.  For instance, let's say a SRB holds 1000 units of solid fuel.  You turn the slider down to 50%, decreasing the fuel load to 500 units.  When you send the SRB to the launch pad, the fuel slider will show 100%, but you have only 500 units of fuel on board as intended.  This is not normal behavior for stock KSP, but it is for BetterSRBs.  It is necessary that KSP thinks the SRB is fully loaded with fuel or else the thrust curves won't work properly.

I'm trying to get to the bottom of this, as SRBs are definitely not working correctly in a pretty heavily modded instance of KSP 1.8.1 and always end up full of solid fuel, even the stock ones, but I can't pin down what is causing it to happen. Example- the thumper SRB has 1290 fuel capacity, I set it to half full (645) but it still has 1290 on the launch pad. This isn't happening on a separate, clean install with no mods in it, so something somewhere is interfering.

I've started with the minimum number of mods (better SRBs, module manager) and am slowly adding stuff in until I find the cause. This could take a while...

@jimmymcgoochie, I've never seen that happen before.  Even though the slider shows 100%, I've always had the correct fuel mass on the launch pad.  I have no idea what could be causing it to revert to full.  If you can isolate which combination of mods are at fault, I can look into it further to see if I can find a solution.  I typically don't use very many mods myself, so I don't often run into these types of conflicts.

@OhioBob Bingo! Kerbal Research and Development seems to be the culprit. Interestingly, the two work perfectly well in isolation but with both installed the SRBs are always full, maybe because better SRBs changes the amount of solid fuel in the boosters? This is regardless of what upgrades have been added to the booster using KR&D.

The always-full fuel gauges muddied the water a bit but this is definitely the cause, remove either one and the problem goes away.

Edited by jimmymcgoochie

47 minutes ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

@OhioBob Bingo! Kerbal Research and Development seems to be the culprit. Interestingly, the two work perfectly well in isolation but with both installed the SRBs are always full, maybe because better SRBs changes the amount of solid fuel in the boosters? This is regardless of what upgrades have been added to the booster using KR&D.

The always-full fuel gauges muddied the water a bit but this is definitely the cause, remove either one and the problem goes away.

I've confirmed everything you've been saying.  I'm seeing the exact same issue.  I don't know enough about KRnD to know what specifically is causing the problem, but I believe I've found a solution.  Open the following file:

GameData/KRnD/PluginData/blacklist.cfg

and add the following to the list of blacklisted modules:

BLACKLISTED_MODULE = ModuleTweakMaxResource

That should fix the issue by preventing KRnD by doing anything with the SRBs modified by BetterSRBs.  There may be a better solution but I don't know what it is.

2 hours ago, OhioBob said:

I've confirmed everything you've been saying.  I'm seeing the exact same issue.  I don't know enough about KRnD to know what specifically is causing the problem, but I believe I've found a solution.  Open the following file:

GameData/KRnD/PluginData/blacklist.cfg

and add the following to the list of blacklisted modules:

BLACKLISTED_MODULE = ModuleTweakMaxResource

That should fix the issue by preventing KRnD by doing anything with the SRBs modified by BetterSRBs.  There may be a better solution but I don't know what it is.

I'll give that a go, and report the issue on the KR&D thread. Thanks for the effort, especially as it's another mod causing the issue.

Edited by jimmymcgoochie

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.