how can I make a shipwreck?

Hi depends,  what do you want to do with or around it, do you want to use mod or stock parts?  All these things will need to be known in order for advice to be given
However if you want to use mods, it's simply make ship model, install kerbal constructs ,and place your model in the sunken location you desire

Spoiler

skx8LCj.png

5 minutes ago, EndTraveler said:

by that i mean a real  derelict: like this:

click me!

Well, that link doesn't work, which is oddly fitting.

But you asked for a martianesque shipwreck.

In the Martian, the only thing that was wrong with his base was the antenna was broken off.  And his ship was gone, but it was working just fine.   In the book, IIRC, both rovers initially worked just fine.  The movie irked me by having a wrecked rover without explaining how. 

KSP is a game about trying not to make shipwrecks.   Not sure how hard it would be to make one. 

I still don't quite understand. Is this supposed to be a visual aesthetic thing? You want it to look like a derelict?

Or you want it to look like a normal KSP rocketship except with a bunch of missing and non-functional parts?

8 hours ago, bewing said:

I still don't quite understand. Is this supposed to be a visual aesthetic thing? You want it to look like a derelict?

Or you want it to look like a normal KSP rocketship except with a bunch of missing and non-functional parts?

yeah, like that except on duna or moho or even laythe.

29 minutes ago, EndTraveler said:

normal ksp ship that is broken but some parts and kerbals survived

That sounds a lot like a lot of peoples first (and twelfth) attempts at landing on another surface. 

Design a ship that looks broken, remove fuels and such, add some kerbals, and edit it to the surface of Duna, then go rescue them. 

Make a lander, only put half the legs on, no engine, and presto, there's your derelict. 

4 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

That sounds a lot like a lot of peoples first (and twelfth) attempts at landing on another surface. 

Design a ship that looks broken, remove fuels and such, add some kerbals, and edit it to the surface of Duna, then go rescue them. 

Make a lander, only put half the legs on, no engine, and presto, there's your derelict. 

or I can use whack a kerbal.

but what i meant is how to most of the ship survive from a catastrophic landing.

4 minutes ago, EndTraveler said:

but what i meant is how to most of the ship survive from a catastrophic landing.

Once you figure that out, please tell the rest of us.    It's a very narrow band between safe landing and total destruction where "Well, we didn't die" lives....

Edited by Gargamel

1 minute ago, Gargamel said:

Once you figure that out, please tell the rest of us.    It's a very narrow band between safe landing and total destruction where "Well, we didn't die" lives....

oh, well then i am very skilled at accidents like that, but i want to purposely recreate it, not just luck.

wait... i think i know how!

1. enter suborbital trajectory with periapsis below ground on duna with an ssto

2. go radial up in the upper atmosphere

3. find a good canyon landing spot

4. try making a downward turn

5. FLAT SPIN

6. deploy the landing gear. important!

7.boom!

8. watch as only your cockpit and landing gear survives

9. profit

1 hour ago, EndTraveler said:

Whack-a-kerbal might indeed be your best option.

Alternatives: saveload many tough landings until you get a result that suits you. Or pre-assemble the wrecked ship and put it on the surface using hyperedit. The latter will also let you drop off more parts/debris in the vincinity without much ado.

There was a mod, don’t recall the name (Kerbal Krash System?) that added dents and stuff as things got banged up. Not sure what the most recent version is compatible with. 

Alternately, you could use KAS to detach and drop a few parts around the derelict. I assume it would be something landed or tipped over on its side.

And I suppose there’s Whack-a-Kerbal to knock or blow parts off

From the input you gave, it sounds like what you want to do is build a fully fonctionnal craft and soft crash it somewhere.

For the crashing means :

• You can edit sve manually or through hyperedit to put your craft in orbit of the desired land body, to save some hassle
  • quicksave to make several crash attempts
  • Crash by making your vessel a bit short on fuel
  • short on power (TWR)
  • by starting a suicide burn too late

For the crashing  speed :

• 6 m/s is landing speed, even for part not designed to be landed on. Shipwreck would be something not designed to be landed whose only problem will for example be that it tipped over and can't safely or usefully use engines
  • 6-14m/s is landing speed with usual landing legs. 14m/s can be a bit rough and some belly part may break accidentally. Minor damages on a craft supposed to land at 6 m/s, but enough to make it unusable.
  • 14-50m/s is "safe" crashing speed, in that crewed part should mostly survive, although explosion may increase their impact velocity past their tolerance. A normal ship is teared in pieces. A dedicated lithobreaker may survive and even be still functional, but likely, though most of its part will be intact, especially crewed ones, some joints may be severed.
  • 50-100m/s unsafe crashing speed, same as above but with less part surviving (sometimes none) and crew likely dying. It is possible to make dedicated lithobreaker with specific parts reliably surviving well past 100m/s, but not of the size of a starship. 50m/s is the standard tolerance for sturdy non structural parts, 70-80m/s for structural parts. Past that, some parts will necessarilly explode (on solid ground). There are some parts with higher resistance, but they don't provide as much cushion for the rest of the craft than an exploding part.
  • 200-300m/s you have to be lucky for even a part to survive. Dedicated lithobreakers might still have a good amount of useless structural parts surviving. Don't know what it is, but there's a speed past which your entire ship goes from above the ground to below the ground in one frame. Nothing survives then.

So for a dramatic landing of a starship, I would go for a speed a bit above 50 m/s, with some armor to make crew survive. Usual non lethal Kerbal crash, low speed low resistance, tend to generate a lot of different debris. Going for a high resitance high speed crash should result in something less like debris field and more like shipwreck.

which bring the topic of what parts to use :

• (space) plane parts (mk2 and mk3) are very resistant
  • structural panel are super resistant, can be used to make several protective plates around the vessel, or a single hull and put stuff inside. I would go for the hull option. It should greatly help holding the ship together
  • big landing gears should make the vessel more believable and cushion some of the energy, in a random way.

TL;DR :

make a ship and crash it. If it looks too much like debris field and too little like shipwreck, armor the ship with structural panels and make it crash at higher speed (50 m/s)

Edited by Kesa

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/30/2018 at 9:51 AM, Corona688 said:

Take a ship, and hit it with something at 300m/s.  Take the biggest piece that remains.  That's your shipwreck.

Try using an SRB for this; maybe the Kickback booster. Stick an RCS tank and probe core on the front, aim it at your ship, and switch the booster on. If there's no more ship, use a smaller booster.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.