Video Editing Misadventures

XB-70A

I just discovered a rather annoying error on Windows 7 (yes, it's outdated) with the use of Live Movie Maker: this one is unable to process on a HD 25 minutes long project. I'm usually using it for rather short films (about 5 minutes only), in  1920x1080 or 1280x720, and it used to work perfectly. Alas, I restarted to film in 3840x2160 recently, and while the computer is perfectly able to read and support these files, LMM is refusing to process entirely, crashing most of the time between 11 and 16%. Respectively due to "lack of space available on the drive" (130 gb still available while the file size should not rize over 5 gb) or error 0x87260103.

It seems like the problem is known since a long time, but none of the solutions I found online had worked for now... 

I also reinstalled OpenShot to see if it could work, and also gave a try to Lightworks, but both of them are terribly lagging when trying to read the files. Another attempt with iMovie on my old MacBook gave the same result.

Has any of you ever had this type of problem in the past and would know a program that could solve it? The computer RAM is estimated at 7.82 gb.

Have you monitored the memory usage of the process when encoding?  You might need some more RAM.  Depending on your motherboard and how many sticks you already have, tossing in another 4GB might be pretty cheap.

9 hours ago, XB-70A said:

"lack of space available on the drive"

57 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

You might need some more RAM.

That might sound unconnected, but what often happens when a program ran out of RAM is that it uses "virtual memory" (empty space in the hard drive), obviously on a much lower efficiency. If that runs out too it might say "lack of hard drive space". So I recommend increasing the RAM.

For the last couple of months I've been using Shotcut https://shotcut.org/ . It's mostly simple to use, has a few annoying "features", and a few non intuitive procedures, but overall does the job I need it to do. It's also a bit unstable, so save often. Then save again.

If it doesn't meet your standards, you can always go the overkill route (no such kill as overkill, right?). DaVinci Resolve by Blackmagic https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/ will do that for you.

Both are free, Shotcut is open source.

13 hours ago, Geonovast said:

Have you monitored the memory usage of the process when encoding?  You might need some more RAM.  Depending on your motherboard and how many sticks you already have, tossing in another 4GB might be pretty cheap.

12 hours ago, YNM said:

That might sound unconnected, but what often happens when a program ran out of RAM is that it uses "virtual memory" (empty space in the hard drive), obviously on a much lower efficiency. If that runs out too it might say "lack of hard drive space". So I recommend increasing the RAM.

It stayed around 7 gb yesterday, and 6.5 gb after the restart today. It did not, however, prevent the program to crash once again.

I guess you both are more than right, and I should invest in a stick, at least (I would be good to ask a pro to install it, considering my talents to break anything in computer systems)

9 hours ago, Shpaget said:

For the last couple of months I've been using Shotcut https://shotcut.org/ . It's mostly simple to use, has a few annoying "features", and a few non intuitive procedures, but overall does the job I need it to do. It's also a bit unstable, so save often. Then save again.

I gave it a try this morning... and it worked pretty well! The different keys designations were a bit "strange" to me, but it ran correctly, with only a single crash. Fortunately (as you recommended too), all the years to study cinema and to work on many project with Adobe Premiere gave me the reflex to hit Ctrl-S after every action...

The preview was still a bit lagging, but it was way more easy to make any edit with it than with the two others I tried. Then, it needed four hours to process the result, but at least it was able to let me keep the 3840x2160 resolution.

Thank you so much everyone!

Do you have a desktop or a laptop?  Providing there's space, actually installed more memory on a desktop is generally pretty straightforward - you can't really mess it up unless you use a hammer.  Making sure you buy the right stuff is trickier than installing.  But if you're thinking you need a pro to install it, then you will definitely want to grab a computer savvy buddy to buy it.

Upgrading memory in a laptop can be nearly as easy as a desktop, depending on how much the manufacturer decided they hate their customers.

4 minutes ago, XB-70A said:

It stayed around 7 gb yesterday,

Yeahh... I'd install another 8 GB if you can.  Between that process and all the operating system's stuff, you still might end up paging.  I went up to 32GB just because I really don't like paging.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.