1.4.4?

strider3

First, let me say that I am just searching for info...not trying to start a battle (which seems to have become more and more prevalent in the forums, lately). I have been told by several people in a recent thread I started to wait on the 1.4.4 patch, instead of trying to upgrade 1.3 to 1.4.3. I have no ongoing "missions" and my next task is to build a much larger refueling station in Kerbin orbit, for farther planetary explorations. I have all the required downloads, including the mods I like, ready to go in 1.4.3 but, after hearing the comments about some "glitches" (none were specified, exactly, however), I thought I would ask for the straight skinny from you guys. "Should I stay or should I go" LOL. Hearing the news about Take Two also makes me wonder if a 1.4.4 is still a working possibility.

No complaints or condemnations from me...far from it. I love KSP and just want to know where it, and I, stand.

Vic

No harm in staying on 1.3.1 unless you are interested in the parts that come with the expansion. That would be the only reason to upgrade. 

I don’t plan to do any serious modding of my game until 1.4.4 comes out, as that version will probably be around for quite awhile before 1.4.5 shows up. 

EDIT: I have noticed personally however that performance in 1.4.3 is significantly better for me than in 1.3.1, so that could be a factor too. 

Edited by MechBFP

I would get 1.4.3 then get 1.4.4 when it comes out(1.4 already has the second most patches of any ksp version, after 1.0, so I'm not even sure if there will be anyone 1.4 updates). 

37 minutes ago, Victor3 said:

Should I stay or should I go

I would "Go" if I were you.

43 minutes ago, MechBFP said:

EDIT: I have noticed personally however that performance in 1.4.3 is significantly better for me than in 1.3.1, so that could be a factor too. 

This is true for me also. I had some issues with 1.3.1 that were bothersome mostly because of fluctuating FPS that got a lot worse with mods. I have not modded 1.4 too heavily yet but I have installed all the "pretties" I like. EVE/SVT/SVE/scatterer/PS My FPS is always at max of my monitor (60) now with the limited play time I have with 1.4(no ships over 50 parts yet) and the whole game seems smoother. This alone is a reason to go.

48 minutes ago, MechBFP said:

Performance...as in 3D graphics? I have always had an issue in KSP with a regular "hiccup". It happens every 7 seconds or so (never really timed it but it's very regular) and I've just learned to live with it. Nothing I know how to do with my GTX 970 seems to make a difference. But that is a question for another thread.

I believe I'll bite the bullet and upgrade.

Just now, Victor3 said:

Performance...as in 3D graphics? I have always had an issue in KSP with a regular "hiccup". It happens every 7 seconds or so (never really timed it but it's very regular) and I've just learned to live with it. Nothing I know how to do with my GTX 970 seems to make a difference. But that is a question for another thread.

I believe I'll bite the bullet and upgrade.

If I remember correctly that was a "trash management" thing. I had that same problem. doesn't seem to be an issue in 1.4. Also, I use the same gfx card.

8 minutes ago, AngrybobH said:

If I remember correctly that was a "trash management" thing. I had that same problem. doesn't seem to be an issue in 1.4. Also, I use the same gfx card.

Trash Management? As in other BS using resources? If so, another reason I miss XP and it's ability to create a "Hardware Profile", turning off everything not needed for a game. Thank you, MS, for always "improving" my computer life. :huh:

Edited by strider3

1 minute ago, Victor3 said:

Trash Management?

It was KSP/Unity cleaning up after itself. Apparently the version of Unity that 1.3 is on had problems with that. I don't know if 1.4 is any better but I do know it is smoother and I don't have the regular "tick".

3 minutes ago, AngrybobH said:

It was KSP/Unity cleaning up after itself. Apparently the version of Unity that 1.3 is on had problems with that. I don't know if 1.4 is any better but I do know it is smoother and I don't have the regular "tick".

I've had the tick since I first started playing KSP, several versions previous to 1.3.

Edited by strider3

2 minutes ago, Victor3 said:

I've had the tick since I first started playing KSP, many versions previous to 1.3.

What type of computer do you have. 1.4.3 isn't really buggy.

Have we officialy heard that 1.4.4+ is in the works?

1.4 was released to make the DLC work, and upto 1.4.3 as bug fixes.   From what I can see, there aren't many, if any,  bugs that require a immediate fix.

I would suspect to see 1.5 before 1.4.5.   There might be a 1.4.4 further down the road, as they do work out some minor bugs and that it can be released on it's own, but I don't see any major work being done with 1.4x in mind.  

1 minute ago, Victor3 said:

I've had the tick since I first started playing KSP, many versions previous to 1.3.

1.4 is a different version of Unity. I think(but do not know for sure) that all other versions were the same until they updated for 1.4. I started with 1.something. Before the comm net stuff. I had the tick back then too.

3 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

1.4 was released to make the DLC work, and upto 1.4.3 as bug fixes.   From what I can see, there aren't many, if any,  bugs that require a immediate fix.

I would suspect to see 1.5 before 1.4.5.   There might be a 1.4.4 further down the road, as they do work out some minor bugs and that it can be released on it's own, but I don't see any major work being done with 1.4x in mind.  

They talk about 1.4.4 there

9 minutes ago, AngrybobH said:

1.4 is a different version of Unity. I think(but do not know for sure) that all other versions were the same until they updated for 1.4. I started with 1.something. Before the comm net stuff. I had the tick back then too.

OK, then you and I have had the tick for as long as that version of Unity was in play (it seems). All the more reason for me to go ahead and bite the 1.4.3 bullet. I was also playing before the Comm Net stuff.

Edited by strider3

Thank you all! It seems to me that I would be better off with 1.4.3, if only that it helps with the constant, regular hiccups in graphics ("ticks" as AngryBobH calls them...I like that term!). I'm thankful that I have not had to deal with some of the forum ...rancor...I've seen exhibited in other threads.

You...are...AWESOME!!

1 hour ago, Victor3 said:

"ticks"

The mod "MemGraph" seems to help with the ticks for me. 

1 hour ago, Victor3 said:

some of the forum ...rancor...I've seen exhibited in other threads.

There are only a couple few threads that get heated like this.  And the vitriol is usually kept within the threads, thanks to the mods and the majority of the forum members not being evil.  Nothing you posted should have upset anybody enough to be mean.  

edit:  Hmmmm.... had to self censor that word.

Edited by Gargamel

The "hiccups" are caused by the garbage collector cleaning up unused memory. I don't think there is any significant difference between how this process works in 1.4 vs earlier versions (Unity 2017 vs Unity 5).

It's possible that some aspects of stock KSP have been cleaned up to generate less garbage, but I doubt there is much of a difference. The real improvement in this area came with KSP 1.2.

In general stock KSP is pretty good about garbage, it's mods that are the problem. Install a few poorly coded or inefficient mods and you jump from a few 100kB of garbage generated per second in stock to dozens of MB per second.

I have the feeling (and I want to make it clear that I don't have any concrete evidence to support this) that the GC cycles were trimmed somehow on 1.4.3.

I do not use the DLC, so any improvements on it didn't affected me - but I had used 1.4.0 (for a few days), then 1.4.1, then 1.4.2 (rolled back to 1.4.1 after 2 or 3 days, so I didn't really tested it) and now 1.4.3.

Until the "final" transition to 1.4.3 I was using essentially the very same add-ons, so I had a "stable' test bed to use as benchmark, and I can affirm for sure that on 1.4.3. my modded installment started to suffer a lot of "stuttering", what I didn't had on 1.4.1. And since that add-ons were essentially the same version during the transition, I think it's reasonable to assume that whatever had changed on the GC behaviour, it's on the 1.4.3.

On the other hand, yes, the "stock game" is smoother on 1.4.3 on my machine. I presume that a reasonably :-) modded installment will maintain the smoothness - I'm aware that it's my heavily modded installment the trigger for the stuttering cause by the GC (besides the stuttering itself being caused by what I see as a flaw on the design the GC when used in real time tasks). 

Edited by Lisias
typo - "started', not 'stated'

Given how little resources are allocated to this game the fact that we're still getting patches is nothing short of a miracle.

Upgrade to whatever version you want and don't worry about it. Often the only reason to upgrade is to have compatibility with the latest mods - God know the game is awful without them.

18 minutes ago, General Apocalypse said:

Given how little resources are allocated to this game the fact that we're still getting patches is nothing short of a miracle.

Upgrade to whatever version you want and don't worry about it. Often the only reason to upgrade is to have compatibility with the latest mods - God know the game is awful without them.

But what if your mod update need was countered by hearing the newest version was buggier than the old?

On 5/26/2018 at 12:51 AM, Gargamel said:

I suspect that the patches were not released solely to provide bugfixes, but to simultaneously provide updates to the expansion code that I am 95% sure is lying dormant in KSP and is activated upon the detection of the DLC...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.