Question

I play KSP at 3440x1440, modded, near max settings. GSYNC monitor. Usually it's fine, and I get upwards of 60 frames per second and it runs perfectly; however, at random points during play the FPS will tank down to 10-20 fps (as a side note, it always tanks the frame rate if I alt-tab out and back into the game). Every time this frame rate drop occurs, a scene change will fix it (i.e. switching from active vessel play to tracking station, or from VAB to space center view). I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling different mods and uninstalling mods completely, but I haven't found a specific mod to attribute the issue to. Does anyone have any ideas?

6 answers to this question

These are unexplained bugs, don't think it is a problem with mods.

Stuff like this happens when some process cant load. What were you doing before the bug hit?

@TheBeesSteezeit's maybe an kopernicus issue at an update to 1.4.3 an fps decreasing bug was created .so update the kopernicus to the latest as they fix the bug i had the same issue in the past and it was kopernicus all that time

Edited by tonimark

I have drops like that too, both on clean or lightly modded KSP. Except I often get FPS halved to 20-25 at the Flight scene start. Then Alt-TABbing, going to space, revert to launch or whatever happens that I don't know exactly, FPS returns to normal 60.

Sometimes the game starts with normal FPS but often it doesn't. And in my case it is caused by GPU load: GPU-Z shows 100% GPU load, with video memory and engine load far from max. CPU is also far from being overloaded at that time too.

I have fresh video drivers and nothing graphics-heavy is running in the background.

Edited by Ser

On 5/27/2018 at 6:05 AM, Xd the great said:

These are unexplained bugs, don't think it is a problem with mods.

Stuff like this happens when some process cant load. What were you doing before the bug hit?

It's nothing specific. These drops would happen anywhere at anytime.

On 5/27/2018 at 2:52 PM, tonimark said:

@TheBeesSteezeit's maybe an kopernicus issue at an update to 1.4.3 an fps decreasing bug was created .so update the kopernicus to the latest as they fix the bug i had the same issue in the past and it was kopernicus all that time

I was curious about updating versions but I'm getting the same issues in 1.4.2 and 1.4.1.

Tidbit - I think it's a memory issue. If I switch to force OpenGL or DX11 the issue goes away and my used RAM goes back under 4GB. Just then I get other issues. Thanks all!

@TheBeesSteeze @Ser   I have found a solution to the same problem that works on my pc.

Here's what I did:

Steam Properties for KSP -> Launch Options -> Remove anything in there (I had '-popupwindow' )

Launch KSP

Under settings -> Graphics -> *Disable* Fullscreen -> click Accept

Use Borderless Gaming to 'Make Borderless' the running KSP application.

Restart KSP

Let me know if it works for you!

Navy