[1.12.x] AFBW Revived (Joystick & controller mod)

9 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Log file, please

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8o7yw36jzvlo8wu/Player.log?dl=0

I don't now if Player.log are only the log for the last game start, or if it is cumulative.

I think it is cumulative, so here it goes.

If you can't find anything on it about the plugin, let me know, because i remove it from the game and play one time.

Than i can reinstall and regenerate it for you, if needed.

Firstly, let me say thankyou.  I played with the original version of this mod a few years and never got it to work properly.  It just seemed that Linux was generally a bit unsupported.  Such a pleasure to see someone taking the effort to support all players.

And, I have to say, this version is a vast improvement. Works straight out of the box...well, mostly.

https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/ksp-advanced-flybywire/issues/28

Also, there doesn't appear to be a way to assign a button to the mouse left click.  The only reason I noticed is the BD Armoury uses that for the trigger, which I'd like to assign to the stick trigger. Is this a bug, or just a limitation?

Edited by StarStryder

• 2 weeks later...

So I've been having some issues, mainly being that during flight for some reason some of the buttons on my controller will "remap" themselves, even though in the config it shows they are still properly mapped. Mainly my left trigger which I have mapped to throttle down will suddenly toggle SAS and staging, and other times just not work at all. Its always fine at the start of the flight, but a few minutes in I will start seeing issues.

As far as I can tell it is installed properly: I merged the GameData folders and put the SDL2.dll and the XInputInterface.dll into the root ksp folder. I am running 64bit windows.

So could it be because I'm using a PS4 controller via Bluetooth or is this some sort of bug? Or did I do something wrong with the install?

15 hours ago, Watchboy52 said:

So I've been having some issues, mainly being that during flight for some reason some of the buttons on my controller will "remap" themselves, even though in the config it shows they are still properly mapped.

If I remember correctly, I had a similar problem once and it turned out that I could avoid the conflict by making sure the stock game settings assignments were cleared out for those buttons.

You also may want to make sure that you don't have multiple functions assigned to the same button by accident.

Edited by HvP

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/12/2020 at 5:16 PM, Nightside said:

Can anyone here recommend a decent, cheapish joystick for KSP?

If there is a thread about this topic elsewhere I'd be happy to check it out, too.

Logitech 3d extreme pro is what I used for years.  Now trying to use the X56 Rhino, thus the need for the mod. I didn't need this with the cheaper stick. 

Edit: Looks like it was Mystery Goo or another experiment causing my issue. Just was delayed

Edited by TheCiroth
No issues

• 3 weeks later...

Edit:

Hey once more meee. I figured that I needed to enable in the mod config the "input overrides throttle"
But now my last problem is how to revert the wheel throttle. Because the Triggers right in left are split and not anymore one axis. So I don't know
how to set it properly. Can I revert the split of the inputs? So that the triggers function again as one axis? Because I either can set left or right trigger as 
wheel throttle, not both at the same time.

Thanks a lot!

------------------------
Hey guys im using this mod in 1.8.1

Im running into some issues. I wanted to have different Setups for planes and rovers.
Basically I want to mimic the GTA Controls for a rover: (I also did without this mod but with lacking the option to switch the preset to plane)

trigger axis (RT & LT) forward and backward acceleration
steering (LS) left stick
camera (RS) right stick

Basically steering and camera works like a charm BUT
I cant get the (wheel)acceleration get to work. Only trim wheel throttle has a effect but wheel throttle has no effect at all.
Also how can I manage to use LT(Left Trigger) for backward and RT(Right Trigger) for forward acceleration? When I use one
of the Axis commands its already used and I also get a bit confused because LT and RT are independent in the mod and I only know them as one negative to positive trigger axis.

Appreciate any input thx guys 

Edited by Georodin
added new conclusions

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2020 at 6:16 PM, Nightside said:

Can anyone here recommend a decent, cheapish joystick for KSP?

If there is a thread about this topic elsewhere I'd be happy to check it out, too.

Until just now, I've always used the Thrustmaster Hotas-X. It is excellent, but doesn't have the advanced config options more expensive joystick / HOTAS setups have.

On 4/29/2020 at 10:46 PM, Technologicat said:

Thank you!

Installed AFBW Revived in KSP 1.9.1 on Linux (Mint 19.1),  and my HOTAS setup Just WorksTM beautifully. (Thrustmaster 16000.M and TWCS Throttle.) Flying spaceplanes with this mod is a wonderful experience.

I especially like the mod's ability to map SAS modes (prograde etc.) to joystick buttons. QuickSAS does that for the keyboard, but doesn't feature joystick support. The buttons on the base of the 16000.M are pretty much made for that. With a full complement of SAS modes and a plane/rocket preset toggle (swapping the yaw/roll axes), exactly one button was left over. (Well, there's the SAS on/off toggle, but I have that mapped to the trigger.)

For others considering using these particular joysticks, the only thing to know is how to calibrate properly. When calibrating the TWCS Throttle in AFBW, both the throttle handle and the antenna axis (the analog knob for the little finger) should be physically set in the 0% position. Then pressing AFBW's calibrate button maps the whole range of each of those axes to [0, 1]. This way KSP uses the full range of motion for the throttle (and similarly for the antenna axis).

Now, to learn to build planes that don't suck in FAR...

10/10, would fly again.

Did you change any of the advanced/additional settings like the numeric factors or changed quadratic to quadratic (inverted) or linear? I have trouble setting up my T.16000 with the precision on axes I would like to have. Now steering a plane is harder than using keyboard so I think I did not properly setup my Thrusmaster.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I've noticed something weird with this mod.

Using CKAN on a windows 10 computer, i looked for the windows version of this mod. however, only the linux and th macOS version are ckan indexed. I tried using the linux version, but that obviously failed. In the end, I manually downloaded the mod from spacedock and it worked fine.

Hence my question: why isn't the windows version indexed on ckan?

Anyway, it works just fine for me, thanks for creating this amazing mod! :)

42 minutes ago, vinix said:

Hence my question: why isn't the windows version indexed on ckan?

It is. However, unlike the Linux and OSX versions, it has a max KSP version set as 1.9.1 so depending on your current KSP version and CKAN settings it may not show up.

52 minutes ago, vinix said:

only the linux and th macOS version are ckan indexed.

KSP >1.9.1, right?

They're all indexed, but the windows version has its max KSP version set to 1.9.1, where the others have no max version set at all. The topic title lists AFBW as 1.9.x, so I assume it's the latter that is in error.

Edited by steve_v

The mod does not seem to be compatible with axis action groups, and therefore is of limited use for Breaking Ground DLC. Fields assigned to axes controlled by AFBW are not altered when moving the controls, even though the control indicator and throttle indicator do show deflection.

11 hours ago, m4ti140 said:

The mod does not seem to be compatible with axis action groups, and therefore is of limited use for Breaking Ground DLC. Fields assigned to axes controlled by AFBW are not altered when moving the controls, even though the control indicator and throttle indicator do show deflection.

It is not compatible with axis groups

I need help with this mod. The mod works just fine. I have a Saitek Cyborg X. The problem is this. I can't figure it out how to properly configure the axis. There are like 3 options per Pitch, Roll and Yaw. What am I suppose to do with those? I don't understand the difference between Yaw, Yaw Negative, Yaw +, etc. I also don't understand what the translation X and Y stuff does. So far I managed to "kind of make it work" but something is clearly wrong since it's almost impossible to precision control the vessell. Mostly, I find it that when I move the flight stick, the general order is taken, but when I release the joystick (because it never stops moving even if I hold it steady) the ship wobbles a lot back and forth, as if the release itself was considered an order.

It would be nice if the mod came with preconfigured presets for noobs like me.

4 hours ago, Sesshaku said:

It would be nice if the mod came with preconfigured presets for noobs like me.

It would.  It would also be nice if I had lots of more time to work on mods.

Sorry, but I can't help, maybe some other people can.  Mods are written by people like myself who do this on their spare time.  Some of that time is taken up by helping on the forums, etc.  I don't own a Saitek Cyborg X, I don't even know what it is :-) 

However, take a look at this page:  https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/ksp-advanced-flybywire/blob/master/README.md

It has instructions on how to use it, near the bottom.

That being said:

4 hours ago, Sesshaku said:

There are like 3 options per Pitch, Roll and Yaw. What am I suppose to do with those? I don't understand the difference between Yaw, Yaw Negative, Yaw +, etc. I also don't understand what the translation X and Y stuff does

Let me explain a bit for you, hopefully it will help:

In the Preset Editor, you can add a button or an axis.  A button is like a keystroke, it does one thing.  For example, if you bind a button to Yaw+, then pressing that button would increase the yaw, hitting the button multiple times would continue to increase the yaw. 

In KSP to control a vessel there are the following types of controls

• Yaw
  • Pitch
  • Roll
  • Translate X
  • Translate Y
  • Translate Z
  • Throttle

Obviously there are more, when you look at the list of actions you can see them all.    In addition, there are also trim values for each.

• Yaw is induced by the rudder of a plane, and swings the nose of the vessel left or right.
  • Pitch is induced by the elevator, which controls the vessel pitching up or down
  • Roll is induced by airelons, which controls the plane rolling left and right.

Translation is the movement of a vessel in a direction without changing the way the vessel is pointing in any way.  Translating up is what a helicopter does when doing a vertical takeoff.

For this discussion, I'm going to talk about a single control, obviously this will apply to the others

Looking at the Add Button actions for pitch, there are the following:   

Pitch+  Increases pitch
Pitch- Decreases pitch
Pitch Trim+ Increases pitch trim
Pitch Trim- Decreases pitch trim

Looking at the Add Axis actions for pitch, there are the following:

Pitch Controls the pitch
Pitch (Negative) Inverted control of the pitch
Pitch (Trim) Controls pitch trim

In addition to the Pitch (Negative), there is also an Invert button.  This makes it easier to invert a control once selected, without having to redo the selection

So, to set the setting for pitch, you do the following, once on the Fly-By-Wire Preset Editor screen:

1. Click the Add Axis button
  2. Select Pitch in the Choose Action window
  3. Move the desired control for that action.

Repeat this for all the controls you want to use, then enter a name for the preset and close the window.  Another thing you may need to do is to calibrate the control stick.  You do this by:

1. Click the Configuration button
  2. Click the Calibrate button
  3. Move all movable controls on the joystick to all extents
  4. When done, close the window

I hope this helps a bit

This mod is wonderful, but it doesn't seem to handle stage lock correctly. It appears as a mappable button, but if you map it to something, it doesn't do anything. I've confirmed that Stage Lock works in general: when I hit Alt-L, the staging indicator turns pink. But mapping it to a joystick button does nothing.

Furthermore, if I engage stage lock using Alt-L, the button I've mapped to stage on my joystick overrides the lock and stages anyways!

Is anyone else seeing this, or is this a quirk of my setup?