[1.12.x] AFBW Revived (Joystick & controller mod)

On 8/1/2021 at 6:27 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

As of now, CKAN shows 1.8.3.6

Try refreshing

It doesn't show because I'm on KSP 1.11.2 and it's no longer compatible with AFBW >=1.8.3.5. However, 1.8.3.4 is log spamming like someone else described before. So I rolled back to 1.8.3.3 and it's working.  \o/

Something in the update between 1.8.3.4 and 1.8.3.5 has caused the Linux version of AFBW to no longer be compatible with the version of SDL in ubuntu's 21.04 "hirsute" repositories. The version that's installed is "2.0.14+dfsg2-3" (as reported by apt, I don't know if there's a better way to get the version of a library) and I'm getting the "DllNotFoundException: libSDL2-2.14" error mentioned earlier. I've tried reinstalling AFBW, but to no avail but rolling back to 1.8.3.4 does work. (yes, the problem also exists in 1.8.3.6, I actually had to install 1.8.3.5 to determine if the problem was there too)

On 8/9/2021 at 2:07 PM, StarkRG said:

Something in the update between 1.8.3.4 and 1.8.3.5 has caused the Linux version of AFBW to no longer be compatible with the version of SDL in ubuntu's 21.04 "hirsute" repositories. ...

I can confirm this issue in version 1.8.3.6 of AFBW with KSP 1.12.2 in ubuntu 18.04.
Local name of lib-file is:
libSDL2-2.0.so.0
libSDL2-2.0.so.0.8.0

I can also confirm that reverting to version 1.8.3.3 of AFBW fixes the problem.

.log file in link below, but I am willing to bet the relevant lines are the ones in the code-block:

[EXC 22:51:05.971] DllNotFoundException: libSDL2-2.14
	KSPAdvancedFlyByWire.SDLController.InitializeSDL () (at <2905308acfc04190829794ba2853e45a>:0)
	KSPAdvancedFlyByWire.SDLController.SDLUpdateState () (at <2905308acfc04190829794ba2853e45a>:0)
	KSPAdvancedFlyByWire.AdvancedFlyByWire.Update () (at <2905308acfc04190829794ba2853e45a>:0)
	UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

Google drive link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/14cEmHmqcl__ZTjltHljyvH2bz0YJeec9/view?usp=sharing

Edited by The-Grim-Sleeper

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2018 at 5:57 AM, dubdubak said:

The problem I was having with control input being overridden with SAS engaged stemmed from having both settings  "AFBW overrides SAS and other control inputs"  and "Atmospheric Autopilot compatibility"  active at the same time. 

Atmospheric Autopilot seems to work just fine without the compatibility setting active for me. A scene change or loading a quicksave was necessary  for changes of these setttings to manifest.

i had the same problem and turned the compatibility off. So what exactly does the option "Atmospheric Autopilot compatibility" do if we do not need it? 

• 4 months later...

I ran into some version incompatibilities, but there was an easy fix. I'm still on KSP 1.9.1 (because that's the last sensible Kerbal Alarm Clock), and CKAN installed 1.8.3.4. I couldn't get it to work, it kept complaining about

DllNotFoundException: libSDL2-2.0.0.dylib

which didn't make much sense to me under Windows 10. Manually installing 1.8.3.6 didn't help either, so I reverted back to 1.8.3.3, which is the last before version update to 1.12. After that everything worked perfectly. I haven't tried any other versions of KSP. Oddly, CKAN can't find the installed 1.8.3.3 version, but since it works I don't really care.

28 minutes ago, snotmaster said:

I'm still on KSP 1.9.1 (because that's the last sensible Kerbal Alarm Clock)

I've been using KAC through KSP 1.12 despite the max compatibility listed at 1.9 and it seems to work well. I've seen some NREs when loading ships in solar orbit but they seem benign. 

So I justs installed this mod, and I don't think I fully understand how some interactions work.  So with Mouse and Keyboard I can hit the SAS and have some stability while flying. With the mod and a controller I lose all control  of the craft if the SAS is turned on. Is there some sort of setting that I am missing, or is that just a feature of SAS

I have a thrustmaster t.16000m throttle and stick, will this let me use them in game without having to go through the frankly buggy TARGET software? by default KSP recognizes all the axes just fine, but button one on the joystick is the same as button one on the throttle, it doesn't recognize them as separate controllers for button assignment. If I run the TARGET software the axes all go crazy in game and there's something you need to do with the scripting program which I don't understand how to use.

Edit: This seems to do the trick, but doesn't allow me to assign the extra custom axes. Are those unsupported? I think they require breaking ground.

Edited by oniontrain

First of all, this is a brilliant mod. I'm able to use my ancient Thrustmaster that's so old that there are no drivers that support anything beyond XP.

But I have a request. There's a toggle called NavballToggle, which is good, but I was hoping for something to toggle the entire Navball on and off, not just change between surface/orbit speed. I need the Navball, but I also need to see as much of the screen as possible, so I keep toggling the entire Navball on and off all the time. Or is this already possible to do with the current setup?

32 minutes ago, birdog357 said:

Why can I not get my settings to save? It loses both calibration and axis settings no matter what I do.

Calibration never gets saved, you have to calibrate every time you start the game

What in the axis settings isn't saving, other than the calibration?

15 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Calibration never gets saved, you have to calibrate every time you start the game

That isn't my experience with version 1.8.33 and KSP 1.10.1. As long as the joystick is plugged in before I start the game, the previous calibration settings are intact. But if I start the game without the joystick plugged in, all calibration settings are cleared. Now I always keep a backup of the config file in case I mess up (again). Which is good, because it took a while to get the dead zones right.

Also, be careful with the throttle. It tends to start at 50% on the first ship you jump to. Either shut down the engines or put a capsule on the launch pad to wake up the joystick input. And/or save often.

17 minutes ago, snotmaster said:

That isn't my experience with version 1.8.33 and KSP 1.10.1. As long as the joystick is plugged in before I start the game, the previous calibration settings are intact. But if I start the game without the joystick plugged in, all calibration settings are cleared. Now I always keep a backup of the config file in case I mess up (again). Which is good, because it took a while to get the dead zones right.

Also, be careful with the throttle. It tends to start at 50% on the first ship you jump to. Either shut down the engines or put a capsule on the launch pad to wake up the joystick input. And/or save often.

That really depends on the joystick and the rest of the system. 

Regarding the throttle, there can be a number of things causing that.  I've never had the issue you described, other than having my throttle on my joystick already moved forward.  

On 1/27/2022 at 4:47 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

What in the axis settings isn't saving, other than the calibration?

It's not saving ANYTHING. I switch craft and it loses everything. Axis settings, buttons, calibration. The whole mess.

9 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

How about a log file?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UbIzRiu3V0V-s1ZOploG-CyaVQuWE2Xp/view?usp=sharing Had to zip it. It's 80 megs

KSP 1.10.1 BTW I'm trying to use my new X56.

This the problem? 

[LOG 15:30:44.274] [AddonLoader]: Instantiating addon 'AdvancedFlyByWire' from assembly 'AdvancedFlyByWire'
[ERR 15:30:44.276] ADDON BINDER: Cannot resolve assembly: AdvancedFlyByWire.XmlSerializers, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null

[ERR 15:30:44.276] ADDON BINDER: Cannot resolve assembly: AdvancedFlyByWire.XmlSerializers, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null

[ERR 15:30:44.276] ADDON BINDER: Cannot resolve assembly: AdvancedFlyByWire.XmlSerializers

[LOG 15:30:44.315] Exception deserializing C:/KSP Installs/Mod KSP 1.10.1/KSP_x64_Data/../GameData\ksp-advanced-flybywire/PluginData\settings.xml, Could not find file "C:\KSP Installs\Mod KSP 1.10.1\GameData\ksp-advanced-flybywire\PluginData\settings.xml"
[LOG 15:30:44.329] Exception Deserializing: Could not find file "C:\KSP Installs\Mod KSP 1.10.1\GameData\ksp-advanced-flybywire\PluginData\advanced_flybywire_config_v21.xml"
[LOG 15:30:44.330] Advanced Fly-By-Wire: Initialized
[LOG 15:30:44.330] [AddonLoader]: Instantiating addon 'AdvancedFlyByWire' from assembly 'ksp-advanced-flybywire'
[ERR 15:30:44.333] ADDON BINDER: Cannot resolve assembly: ksp-advanced-flybywire.XmlSerializers, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null

[ERR 15:30:44.333] ADDON BINDER: Cannot resolve assembly: ksp-advanced-flybywire.XmlSerializers, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null

[ERR 15:30:44.333] ADDON BINDER: Cannot resolve assembly: ksp-advanced-flybywire.XmlSerializers

[LOG 15:30:44.337] Exception deserializing C:/KSP Installs/Mod KSP 1.10.1/KSP_x64_Data/../GameData\ksp-advanced-flybywire/PluginData\settings.xml, There is an error in XML document (2, 2).
[LOG 15:30:44.344] Exception Deserializing: Could not find file "C:\KSP Installs\Mod KSP 1.10.1\GameData\ksp-advanced-flybywire\PluginData\advanced_flybywire_config_v21.xml"
[LOG 15:30:44.346] Advanced Fly-By-Wire: Initialized

Edited by birdog357
Added info

Not installed correctly.

I prefer Player.log, but this is the error:

[EXC 15:31:06.209] DllNotFoundException: libSDL2-2.0.0.dylib
	KSPAdvancedFlyByWire.SDLController.InitializeSDL () (at <aa89e93a18714f9599fdcfaba3d730f5>:0)
	KSPAdvancedFlyByWire.SDLController.SDLUpdateState () (at <aa89e93a18714f9599fdcfaba3d730f5>:0)
	KSPAdvancedFlyByWire.AdvancedFlyByWire.Update () (at <aa89e93a18714f9599fdcfaba3d730f5>:0)
	ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)

From the OP:

Windows

1. Download the latest mod archive from SpaceDock

2. Copy the contents of the archive inside KSP's root folder. You should see the game controller icon during flight mode.

3. Please note that XInputInterface.dll and SDL2.dll must be in the same folder as the KSP executable and not in GameData.

19 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Not installed correctly.

I prefer Player.log, but this is the error:

[EXC 15:31:06.209] DllNotFoundException: libSDL2-2.0.0.dylib
	KSPAdvancedFlyByWire.SDLController.InitializeSDL () (at <aa89e93a18714f9599fdcfaba3d730f5>:0)
	KSPAdvancedFlyByWire.SDLController.SDLUpdateState () (at <aa89e93a18714f9599fdcfaba3d730f5>:0)
	KSPAdvancedFlyByWire.AdvancedFlyByWire.Update () (at <aa89e93a18714f9599fdcfaba3d730f5>:0)

From the OP:

Windows

1. Download the latest mod archive from SpaceDock

2. Copy the contents of the archive inside KSP's root folder. You should see the game controller icon during flight mode.

3. Please note that XInputInterface.dll and SDL2.dll must be in the same folder as the KSP executable and not in GameData.

That's what I get for using CKAN...

I don't have a player.log?

Edited by birdog357

14 minutes ago, birdog357 said:

That's what I get for using CKAN...

I don't have a player.log?

CKAN would have installed it correctly.

For full log info (link is in my sig): Read this BEFORE asking for supporthttp://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/83212-how-to-get-support-read-first/

If you think CKAN installed it incorrectly, please post the entire directory:  <Gamedir>/CKAN

The only other thing I can think of is that your antivirus is either blocking or deleted one or both of the files:

• SDL2.dll
  • XInputInterface.dll

which should be in the main game directory

Edited by linuxgurugamer

47 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

CKAN would have installed it correctly.

For full log info (link is in my sig): Read this BEFORE asking for supporthttp://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/83212-how-to-get-support-read-first/

If you think CKAN installed it incorrectly, please post the entire directory:  <Gamedir>/CKAN

The only other thing I can think of is that your antivirus is either blocking or deleted one or both of the files:

• SDL2.dll
  • XInputInterface.dll

which should be in the main game directory

I've got it installed correctly now and it seems to be working. Except I can't get wheel throttle to work. That's probably just me not being able to understand the devs weird ways of doing things.