[1.12.x] AFBW Revived (Joystick & controller mod)

I'm trying to use a thrustmaster t.16000m with KSP and this is pretty much the only way to use it. The only issue I'm having is that I'd like to use the axis 5 on my throttle to drive forward/back with, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. I have all axes unbound in the control settings, and it detects it properly in AFBW, but it doesn't seem to be affecting my rover's wheels. I have this same axis set to translate Z and it works on spacecraft just fine.

Is there a setting somewhere that I might be missing? Is there any more information I need to get to troubleshoot this?

I'm using 1.12.1 and AFBW 1.8.3.6

Hi @linuxgurugamer

I have been looking for a mod to fully mimic the PS controller set up. (I might be one of the few who likes to go fully mouseless and keyboardless.)

I've tried to map some keys but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to map certain things, such as 

- toggle mouse on and off 

- board vessel during EVA (using circle/B) 

- button combination to toggle RCS on and off (L1 + long hold circle/B) 

Is it even possible to set everything up so that you don't need a keyboard or mouse? 

Thank you 

On 1/28/2022 at 4:40 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Regarding the throttle, there can be a number of things causing that.  I've never had the issue you described, other than having my throttle on my joystick already moved forward.  

Have the same issue with throttle and other 3 axis of my controller that should be 0 by default.  This is caused by ClickThroughBlocker, axis stay locked at 50% until I click the Clear Input Locks icon on the toolbar.

Hello Sir @linuxgurugamer  I have another weird bug to report. After pulling mods out for a couple hours, I narrowed it down to AFBW. I'm on 1.12.3 and I think it started on 1.12, not sure. It's been several months at least. AFBW 1.8.3.6 Windows

In space, SAS is not persistent on a ship when a kerbal EVAs or you switch to another ship in physics range. The ship will rotate freely and can be pushed around on EVA. After re-entering from EVA or switching back to the original ship the SAS light is on but it's not functional. Yon can rotate just like SAS is off. Then toggling SAS off, the indicator is off and function is off (normal behavior) and toggling back on it is normal then. This whole process can then be repeated with the same results. 

I confirmed SAS is persistent in stock 1.12.3 and I made an install with only AFBW and dependencies and it's as described above. 

KSP log

player log

Edited by Krazy1
Duplicated... merged... huh

On 2/8/2022 at 3:06 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Ummm, before you blame a mod, have you considered that "input locks" refers to all inputs, possibly?  Including those of joysticks?  After all, a joystick IS an input.

Installing CTB (with Toolbar Controller of course) causes some axis to get stuck at 50% indefinitely after scene load (regardless of AFBW being installed or not). I used to think that it happens because CTB conflicts with my controller since it's type is CustomHID and it can also provide mouse and keyboard inputs.

Edited by Manul

19 minutes ago, Manul said:

Installing CTB (with Toolbar Controller of course) causes some axis to get stuck at 50% indefinitely after scene load (regardless of AFBW being installed or not). I used to think that it happens because CTB conflicts with my controller since it's type is CustomHID and it can also provide mouse and keyboard inputs.

Try clicking the CTB button, sounds like the input locks are not freed, and a controller IS an input, after all.

Just now, linuxgurugamer said:

Try clicking the CTB button, sounds like the input locks are not freed, and a controller IS an input, after all.

It helps but sometimes the RUD happens before I click it :D The curious thing is that yaw, pitch and roll are not affected and it made me think that CTB is meant to deal only with keyboard and mouse inputs. Now I see that it was a wrong guess and pitch roll and yaw axis can also be locked https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/ClickThroughBlocker/issues/22

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2022 at 1:48 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

Now I get the idea what's going on. There is an option to lock only keyboard inputs but no option to lock both keyboard and mouse so the only way of doing it is to use ControlTypes.ALLBUTCAMERAS and it locks all vessel control regardless of it's source. I can't find any ways to avoid this so my only suggestion is to make this optional.

On 2/20/2022 at 4:59 PM, LHACK4142 said:

I can't find this mod on CKAN. I searched AFBW with no results. thanks.

If you have KSP version > 1.12.1 and are on Windows, then it won't show up on CKAN unless you disable the "is:compatible" filter.  Current Win version is 1.12.3. 

Should show if you are on Linux/OSX

• 1 month later...

After running "brew reinstall sdl2" to install sdl2 on OS X 10.15.7 I am still getting the error

[EXC 00:58:05.964] DllNotFoundException: libSDL2-2.0.14
	KSPAdvancedFlyByWire.SDLController.InitializeSDL () (at <19a82c8989b641c4a8faab2f3f310bbc>:0)
	KSPAdvancedFlyByWire.SDLController.SDLUpdateState () (at <19a82c8989b641c4a8faab2f3f310bbc>:0)
	KSPAdvancedFlyByWire.AdvancedFlyByWire.Update () (at <19a82c8989b641c4a8faab2f3f310bbc>:0)
	UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)

How do I help the game find the DLL?

13 hours ago, traisjames said:

After running "brew reinstall sdl2" to install sdl2 on OS X 10.15.7 I am still getting the error

[EXC 00:58:05.964] DllNotFoundException: libSDL2-2.0.14
	KSPAdvancedFlyByWire.SDLController.InitializeSDL () (at <19a82c8989b641c4a8faab2f3f310bbc>:0)
	KSPAdvancedFlyByWire.SDLController.SDLUpdateState () (at <19a82c8989b641c4a8faab2f3f310bbc>:0)
	KSPAdvancedFlyByWire.AdvancedFlyByWire.Update () (at <19a82c8989b641c4a8faab2f3f310bbc>:0)
	UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)

How do I help the game find the DLL?

May not be the right version of libSDL2

What version got installed?

4 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

May not be the right version of libSDL2

What version got installed?

From brew info sdl2

sdl2: stable 2.0.20 (bottled), HEAD
Low-level access to audio, keyboard, mouse, joystick, and graphics
https://www.libsdl.org/
/usr/local/Cellar/sdl2/2.0.20 (92 files, 5.6MB) *
  Poured from bottle on 2022-04-22 at 23:12:11
From: https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/blob/HEAD/Formula/sdl2.rb
License: Zlib
==> Options
--HEAD
	Install HEAD version
==> Analytics
install: 83,405 (30 days), 312,430 (90 days), 1,172,711 (365 days)
install-on-request: 6,928 (30 days), 25,901 (90 days), 104,800 (365 days)
build-error: 3 (30 days)

On 4/23/2022 at 9:49 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Not the right version, you need:

DllNotFoundException: libSDL2-2.0.14

I followed first this guide  and then after being unsuccessful due to that version being too old this guide and still failed.  I think my Homebrew at version at 3.4.8 is too new to support anything older.  Is it possible to update AFBW to work with the current SDL2 or is there too much change?

2 hours ago, traisjames said:

I followed first this guide  and then after being unsuccessful due to that version being too old this guide and still failed.  I think my Homebrew at version at 3.4.8 is too new to support anything older.  Is it possible to update AFBW to work with the current SDL2 or is there too much change?

Sorry, not something I have the ability to work with at this time

• 2 weeks later...

Does this mod do anything like reduce the input magnitude of yaw vs pitch? I've noticed all spacecraft really don't like yawing compared to pitching when using my joystick with this.

Edit: it was caused by mandatory RCS, I swapped it for a manual reaction wheel nerf MM patch, and now I can yaw again

Edited by Rodger

9 hours ago, LordHelix said:

AFBW will not show up in game properly all I get is this window. The only mods I have are click through blocker, toolbar, toolbar controller, ksp-recall and ksp community fixes. Here is the player.log.

That is the KSP.log, please get me the correct Player.log.

one thing I did see was that you are missing the Harmony needed for the KSP Community Fixes mod you have installed

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

That is the KSP.log, please get me the correct Player.log.

one thing I did see was that you are missing the Harmony needed for the KSP Community Fixes mod you have installed

I put Harmony back and no change. I don't have a player.log for ksp in Unity log folder is there something I should do to generate it?

7 minutes ago, LordHelix said:

I put Harmony back and no change. I don't have a player.log for ksp in Unity log folder is there something I should do to generate it?

The in-game console says that I am missing libsdl2.-2.0.14, do I need that specific version of sdl?