[1.12.x] AFBW Revived (Joystick & controller mod)

@linuxgurugamer 

Recently Installed AFBW (v 1.8.3.2) for use with a PlayStations style of USB controller, only to have the Yaw / Roll axis intermittently  pegging to an extreme. (Joystick works otherwise) I've tried adjusting the AFBW config and have calibrated the Joystick within Windows yet the issue persists. From what I see the mod is for use with KSP 1.91 while my KSP is current 1.10 or better I believe.

Q: Is there an update planned to correct the above issue?

Thank you in advance!

-Redacted

@Redacted

Did you try to calibrate ingame ?

I'm coming for another issue : How do I bind the "main throttle" in axis group to my controller's main throttle ? I can't find anything.. (maybe not good at searching ?)

Thanks in advance !

EDIT : Ok, by curiosity I started to read previous page, can't understand why I didn't found it earlier. Basically, mod not compatible with axis group, or axis action group. Would be great to see that ! Anyways that mod is awesome ! Thanks for all these mod :)

Edited by Sppion1

Hi friends! =)
I have two questions.
1. I have last version of KSP in Steam (now 1.10). I try installing the patch, and I can't see the results of installation. In my client not show the icon of gamepad on the above of screen. 
Or is version 1.10 not supported?
2. Why didn't the KSP team included this solution in KSP with patch?

Received the following error in CKAN while trying to purge all my mods...

Removing AdvancedFlyByWire...
/ is already absolute
Error during installation!
If the above message indicates a download error, please try again. Otherwise, please open an issue for us to investigate.
If you suspect a metadata problem: https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/NetKAN/issues/new/choose
If you suspect a bug in the client: https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/issues/new/choose

On 9/19/2020 at 9:38 PM, kraetos said:

This mod is wonderful, but it doesn't seem to handle stage lock correctly. It appears as a mappable button, but if you map it to something, it doesn't do anything. I've confirmed that Stage Lock works in general: when I hit Alt-L, the staging indicator turns pink. But mapping it to a joystick button does nothing.

Furthermore, if I engage stage lock using Alt-L, the button I've mapped to stage on my joystick overrides the lock and stages anyways!

Is anyone else seeing this, or is this a quirk of my setup?

Since I can't figure out how to put my text before the quote:  linuxgurugamer, thanks so much for adopting this and the other half million mods! 

I als noticed the stage lock problem. I've tried to map it to a joystick button, and also to a keyboard key via AFBW, both don't register in the game. I'll try binding it to other keys/buttons to see if that matters, and if it persists will report it on GitHub.
I haven't yet tried to stage via controller through the stage lock. It does sound properly Kerbal.. I imagine a cockpit where the big red 'Stage'  button on the left has a safety cover, while the one on the right has a post it saying 'Don't touch, locked'. :sticktongue:

2 hours ago, Redacted said:

Received the following error in CKAN while trying to purge all my mods...

I too got that error last night with update from CKAN. I'll try a manual install tonight to see if that works.

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning all !

I have a question can be stupid ....

Can you tell me if it is normal that when I activate SAS, AFBW no longer works?

I ask you this question because by using "Analog Control Continued" to control with the mouse, it is preferable to engage the SAS for a question of stability.

Thank you and forgive me if that sounds silly to you.

Edited by Fulcrum

Finalement j'ai trouvé comment configurer le SAS avec les boutons dans le menu avancé. Néanmoins le SAS désactive toujours (et heureusment) les commandes du joystick .... pour mon plus grand plaisir d'ailleurs car jusqu"à présent la mise en orbite était particulièrement pénible. En effet, j'étais obligé de faire des corrections au joystick du décollage jusqu'à l'orbitage. Maintenant, je décolle et je prends mon inclinaison au joystick et una fois stable, je met le SAS en normal jusqu'à l'orbitage, rien d'autre à faire. Une fois fait, je met le SAS prograde. Un immense plaisir et une bien plus grande facilité ! Merci

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I just installed AFBW with CKAN and I was wondering if it is expected to not have a minimum default preset  configuration for the connected controller available?

If so, that's fine. I was able to create a preset configuration for the PS4 dualshock 4 controller connected with USB cable and could teach AFBW the controller inputs with the preset editor.

Is is possible to include the Kerbal character translation and rotation control axes and and the missing EVA buttons from the Kerbal controls page, please?

That way we could use a D-pad or POV hat to walk/run the Kerbal around and have the superior AFBW analogue control of the jetpack.

Also, is there a way of setting up an 8-way POV hat to operate like a 4-way hat?

On 1/29/2021 at 6:50 PM, VMQ said:

Hi,

I just installed AFBW with CKAN and I was wondering if it is expected to not have a minimum default preset  configuration for the connected controller available?

If so, that's fine. I was able to create a preset configuration for the PS4 dualshock 4 controller connected with USB cable and could teach AFBW the controller inputs with the preset editor.

No, you have to set it up.

On 1/30/2021 at 11:37 AM, DoogyRev said:

Is is possible to include the Kerbal character translation and rotation control axes and and the missing EVA buttons from the Kerbal controls page, please?

That way we could use a D-pad or POV hat to walk/run the Kerbal around and have the superior AFBW analogue control of the jetpack.

Also, is there a way of setting up an 8-way POV hat to operate like a 4-way hat?

Not at the present time, sorry.  

• 1 month later...
On 11/3/2018 at 11:26 AM, Aghanim said:

Is there a way to map [-1,1]  control range into [0,1]? My joystick throttle acts that way, and that means that I lose half of my joystick throttle range, as the 0 position is in the center, not at the bottom 

Did you ever fix this? How did you do it?

• 3 weeks later...

EaSBEwj.jpg

I've had this issue with the mod where the window appears blank when I click on the icon. It looks like "settings" is in the top left but its also cut off and I can't click it. I can't click or drag on anything in the window except the X to close it. My friend used the same mod with the same files with the same controller. It worked just fine for him but we can't figure out whats wrong with mine. The only major difference we can think of is that I'm on 64-bit windows 7, although that's supposed to be compatible. Anyone here think they can help? Here's the log file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/aym7l7b7ib3f8ep/KSP.log?dl=0 

AFBW stopped working for me. It was working fine, now the UI works but controls are like stock. When I right click the icon to disable it, it behaves exactly the same. I tried removing it through CKAN, purging, reinstalled - no different. The 2 DLLs are in the KSP root.

KSP log 

player log

[LOG 23:21:35.738] [AddonLoader]: Instantiating addon 'AdvancedFlyByWire' from assembly 'ksp-advanced-flybywire'
[ERR 23:21:35.741] ADDON BINDER: Cannot resolve assembly: ksp-advanced-flybywire.XmlSerializers, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null

[ERR 23:21:35.741] ADDON BINDER: Cannot resolve assembly: ksp-advanced-flybywire.XmlSerializers, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null

[ERR 23:21:35.742] ADDON BINDER: Cannot resolve assembly: ksp-advanced-flybywire.XmlSerializers

[LOG 23:21:35.745] Exception deserializing C:/KSP/KSP 1.11.2 modded/KSP_x64_Data/../GameData\ksp-advanced-flybywire/PluginData\settings.xml, Could not find file "C:\KSP\KSP 1.11.2 modded\GameData\ksp-advanced-flybywire\PluginData\settings.xml"
[LOG 23:21:35.755] Exception Deserializing: Could not find file "C:\KSP\KSP 1.11.2 modded\GameData\ksp-advanced-flybywire\PluginData\advanced_flybywire_config_v21.xml"
[LOG 23:21:35.758] Advanced Fly-By-Wire: Initialized

Both of those XML files are where it's looking for them. I've installed a few more mods after AFBW and did a Win10 update a few weeks back.

UPDATE: Tested with only ABFW and dependencies and the behavior and log excerpt above are the same. It seems to be feeding the stock control through when the manual deadzone is larger than stock. It initially follows stock then seems to jump back toward center to follow the AFBW curve when it's non-zero.  I'm using Linear control. I tried to draw this:

input-output response

Hope you can help @linuxgurugamer The stock joystick interface is so bad. 

Edited by Krazy1
update

On 4/16/2021 at 2:34 AM, Krazy1 said:

AFBW stopped working for me. It was working fine, now the UI works but controls are like stock. When I right click the icon to disable it, it behaves exactly the same. I tried removing it through CKAN, purging, reinstalled - no different. The 2 DLLs are in the KSP root.

When did it stop working?  What did you change?

You can ignore those messages about XMLSerializers, they are harmless

The last two are just saying it can't find the saved configs.

On 4/16/2021 at 2:34 AM, Krazy1 said:

manual deadzone is larger than stock

Why would you have such a large deadzone?

I'm not 100% sure if it did change now.  It's not a mod interaction - tested with this alone.  

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Why would you have such a large deadzone?

Because it's a cheap joystick (Logitech Extreme 3d pro) with a lot of mechanical slop. It just wobbles a lot around null and the springs don't hold it centered when I rest my hand on it. Every game joystick I've used is like this.  The sketch I made is exaggerated though.

But besides the deadzone, the ailerons are going to full deflection when I only move the stick halfway. It doesn't seem to calibrate endpoints right either. 

Edited by Krazy1

10 minutes ago, Krazy1 said:

I'm not 100% sure if it did change now.  It's not a mod interaction - tested with this alone.  

Because it's a cheap joystick (Logitech Extreme 3d pro) with a lot of mechanical slop. It just wobbles a lot around null and the springs don't hold it centered when I rest my hand on it. Every game joystick I've used is like this.  The sketch I made is exaggerated though.

But besides the deadzone, the ailerons are going to full deflection when I only move the stick halfway. It doesn't seem to calibrate endpoints right either. 

I'll check it out, but I haven't seen any issue, and no one else seems to have this issue either

4 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I'll check it out, but I haven't seen any issue, and no one else seems to have this issue either

Right now the deadzone isn't a major issue.  But there's something wrong with the axis 0 endpoints for the ailerons. Pitch and yaw are calibrating full range really well - 100% stick angle gives 100% surface angle. But the ailerons are at full deflection at 0.38 stick position. They're very sensitive. 

Just now, Krazy1 said:

Right now the deadzone isn't a major issue.  But there's something wrong with the axis 0 endpoints for the ailerons. Pitch and yaw are calibrating full range really well - 100% stick angle gives 100% surface angle. But the ailerons are at full deflection at 0.38 stick position. They're very sensitive. 

Please try this with a different joystick.  They all use the same code, the only reason one would be that different is if there is a hardware issue.

I'd also suggest first calibrating it using the Windows settings, then do it in KSP and see if that helps.