Relay networks in remote tech

Do i have to constantly re target things when i have a craft orbiting a planet at a low altitude? Is there a way to automate that?

Edit: I am using the mod remote tech, which adds Lightspeed, less kerbin dishes, and is the reason for this problem. I am not targeting in the stock sense, but rather using a menu that comes with the mod.

Edited by AHeroReborn

15 minutes ago, Xd the great said:

Well, i use ksp v 1.4.3, but the game saves my targetting when i switch back to the craft. What do you intend to target?

I am just trying to get full control all the time on the active vessel. As far as I know, this is not possible and you must constantly re-targeting (which you can’t do when you have no control).

Hmm. I thought that spamming satellites with RA 100 disks in multiple inclined orbits around a planet gives you full control.

As long as you have electricity and green commnet lines on all sats and target craft.

I would recommend watching danny 2462's first time in 1.2 video.

Do you use any mods?

With RT, you are not intended to use dishes. You can use communotron 32, that automatically link with every vessel in range, and set a group of 3 or 4 relays with communotron 32 also, or with a low range dish  pointing to kerbin (low range dishes also have a big angle cone)

Edit: you are not intended to use dishes... in LKO.

Edited by Rauko

But blackouts would still happen on interplanetary missions. In normal ksp, it automatically finds you a path to the KSC. This seems realistic enough, so I am not sure why remote tech doesn’t keep the idea.

Edited by AHeroReborn

You can set dishes to target the active vessel rather than a particular craft or body. 

My usual early game networks is 3 or 4 satellites in an equatorial orbit of Kerbin each with omi-directional antennae so they can all communicate back to the KSC either directly or via one of the other satellites, they then have a couple of dishes, one targeted at the Mun and one at Minmus.  A vessel going to the Mun or Minmus has a dish targeted at Kerbin.  In this config you'll have a dead zone on the way to mun or minmus, as you're not between Kerbin and the body, so if you're doing a correction burn half way to Minmus you need to set it up while close to Kerbin and have the RemoteTech computer do the burn for you.  by the time you need to brake to get an orbit you'll be back in the field of view of the LKO dishes. 

The alternative is to set the LKO dishes to focus on active vessel, in which case you'll always have one pointing at you, but unless the dish on the vessel you're flying is a very wide angle you'll still have a dead zone as you leave Kerbin because your dish will be pointed at Kerbin, but there might not be a satellite in it's field of view as it won't see the whole of kerbin until you're a fair way out.

In the later game I then either have a second ring of satellites with longer range dishes set to active vessel, or build ground stations (drone aircraft that land 90, 180 and 270 ish degrees from the KSC) that talk to KSC via and Omni and the original LKO network, and have a big dish to talk to the active vessel.  Ideally you'd have an antenna pointed at each body and then at least 3 satellites orbiting each body to give ground coverage but I usually can't be bothered launching that many.

Edited by RizzoTheRat

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.