[1.6.1 | 1.5.1 | 1.4.5 | 1.3.1] The World Beyond - 100 new celestial bodies [v1.1.1 - 2018-10-31]

34 minutes ago, Unicatcorn said:

But I dont have steam and this is not in my kerbal  space  program folder

I don't know what a non-steam install looks like, but KSP_x64.exe and KSP.exe should be under the same directory.

Check your output_logs.txt (instructions here) first, though. You might be running 64 bit already.

33 minutes ago, IonMage said:

I see in the OP that OPM is cool with this mod, but how about New Horizons?

There should be no problem. Go ahead and try it out. TWB is compatible mostly due to being so far from Kerbin that it can't possibly collide (cross SOI) with most other star system mods.

37 minutes ago, IonMage said:

I see in the OP that OPM is cool with this mod, but how about New Horizons?

I have never played New Horizons so I can't guarantee, but most likely they should work together.

Try it out and tell me if something weird happens. If there are no problems I will update the list of compatible packs.

• 2 weeks later...

Update v1.1.1

Also on CKAN!

Github Download

v1.1.1 "Bridging Azure" Patch 1
2018-10-31

+custom orbit icons for all stars
+4 new flags
+more loading screen tips
+sunflare licenses
+made more references

*completely remade Barrier's pulsar jets
*increased Dawn's orbital period so it's even more static
*corrected AVC version checking, removed version file for each system so now the entire TWB folder have only one central version file
*adjusted and recolored the orbits of planets of Eon
*disabled new shader on Oblivion's rings so it is much more visible
*tilted Amaterasu's ring so it looks nicer, and tilted its moons' orbits
*further reduction to asteroid spawn rate for all systems
*fixed numerous tpyos

Um5BpoX.png

Edited by TheProtagonists

@TheProtagonists oh my god this looks good wow, a few questions, how far away is the cluster of habitable worlds from Kerbin? How many are there? And just WOW! Amazing work, I cannot stress enough how beautiful this all looks, it sent chills of exploration down my back, by the lords of Kerbin. Also is there a way to move the KSC to one of those worlds and start by exploring on it rather than having to launch there? How much ram would you recommend to run this with the clouds? I've got 16gb and an i7 5th gen, 2.4ghz, not much, but hey. Keep up the amazing work, mouth watering work, by the kraken.

this makes some of even the best ksp planet packs with even the highest resolution look cheap, by the kraken you have outdone yourself

2 hours ago, The-Doctor said:

is there a way to move the KSC to one of those worlds and start by exploring on it rather than having to launch there?

I have decided against reparenting anything mostly due to the buggy nature of doing it and that I want to keep the stock system. However you can try to change things yourself and see.

2 hours ago, The-Doctor said:

How much ram would you recommend to run this with the clouds?

16GB should be good. TWB itself uses onDemand loading so it doesn't use that much RAM.

52 minutes ago, TheProtagonists said:

I have decided against reparenting anything mostly due to the buggy nature of doing it and that I want to keep the stock system. However you can try to change things yourself and see.

16GB should be good. TWB itself uses onDemand loading so it doesn't use that much RAM.

how far away is the cluster? Say the nearest world? In terms of how long a standard ksp ship would take to get there as well as how many if any light years away it is

Downloading this mod (the "Full" ZIP, 1.5 GiB) is extremely slow. Either through CKAN or directly in the browser: a crawling speed of 16 kb/s.

This is a known GitHub issue: it will throttle large binaries. To quote one of the engineers on GitHub's Git infrastructure team (from the famous CocoaPods incident):

Using GitHub as your CDN is not ideal, for anybody involved.

Might you consider a secondary CDN for your build artifacts?

19 minutes ago, Amedee said:

Downloading this mod (the "Full" ZIP, 1.5 GiB) is extremely slow. Either through CKAN or directly in the browser: a crawling speed of 16 kb/s.

This might have to do more with your internet speed itself. When I try to download it directly it goes at around 3.2mb/s (7 minutes total).

Many other large mods also use only github as distribution and they all download just fine.

Adding another CDN means more room for error when I update the mod, which only gets even more frustrating should I need to make a quick hotfix.

1 hour ago, TheProtagonists said:

This might have to do more with your internet speed itself. When I try to download it directly it goes at around 3.2mb/s (7 minutes total).

Many other large mods also use only github as distribution and they all download just fine.

Adding another CDN means more room for error when I update the mod, which only gets even more frustrating should I need to make a quick hotfix.

Actually, no. This has nothing at all to do with my internet speed. I just ran a speed test at http://www.speedtest.net and this is what I got:

IP_ADDRESS,TEST_DATE,TIME_ZONE,DOWNLOAD_MEGABITS,UPLOAD_MEGABITS,LATENCY_MS,SERVER_NAME,DISTANCE_MILES
"91.178.27.64","11/4/2018 12:14 AM","GMT","5.82","4.68","10","Brussels","50"

That's 5.82 Mbps, so no, I can definitely rule out my own network connection.

I will repeat again: Github, or more precisely their Amazon AWS backend they use as a CDN, will rate limit if multiple or large files are downloaded in succession from the same originating IP address, in a round robin fashion. This is a known issue, see https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/wiki/Basic-troubleshooting

I have a very fast broadband connection but files are downloading extremely slow

This can be due to many reasons:

• If you are installing very many or large mods at once the supplier of those mods might throttle your download speed (this is known to sometimes happen while downloading many mods at once from Github repositories). Since CKAN cache all your finished downloads it can at times help to cancel the download, wait a few minutes and then try again. You will not have to redownload finished downloads from the previous session.

• Some mod developers use their own hosting solutions which might have slower upload or be under heavy load. You can see what sources CKAN download mods from in the installation window during the installation process.

I have tried to cancel and restart the download several times, but obviously this only makes the problem worse.

Before you say that this is a CKAN issue, I will repeat: I have exactly the same excruciating slow download speed when I use Chrome to download the zip file. 

You say that other large mods also use GitHub as CDN and while this may be true, this particular mod is the largest mod I have encountered so far.

I appreciate the additional complexity in providing a secondary CDN and for now I will have to wait 15 hours until the download completes.

Edited by Amedee

2 hours ago, Amedee said:

That's 5.82 Mbps, so no, I can definitely rule out my own network connection. 

That is not exactly a extremely fast download speed. The speed test shows that my download speed is around 25 Mbps, which is already slightly below average in the US.

Unfortunately, so far with ~1500 total downloads of TWB_Full, you are the only one reporting a download speed issue, therefore I cannot say this is a general issue everyone encountered without further data/report.

That aside, I have no other superior choice for a secondary CDN, considering that SpaceDock can be less reliable and even slower, and Github is the fastest and most reliable way I have.

Edited by TheProtagonists

On 11/10/2018 at 6:48 PM, ProtoJeb21 said:

I’m definitely going to check this out this weekend, although I’m pretty sure my CPU is not going to like it. 

My computer had other ideas. The battery isn’t working right and now it’s too slow to run KSP with a ~1 GB planet pack.