[1.6.1 | 1.5.1 | 1.4.5 | 1.3.1] The World Beyond - 100 new celestial bodies [v1.1.1 - 2018-10-31]

On 11/1/2018 at 9:44 PM, The-Doctor said:

how far away is the cluster? Say the nearest world? In terms of how long a standard ksp ship would take to get there as well as how many if any light years away it is

Hello!

@The-Doctor

I´ve installed the updated version for KSP 1.5.1 just a few days ago, and only the core+Traverse+Well systems.... Using only stock and alike vessels, you´d better not even try to interstellar travel to there. The best traveling time I´ve simulated so far, with a few Rhino or Vector boosters is beyond HUNDREDS of years... (these worlds are a LOT beyond - so cool!) 

I know it isn´t something beautiful to say, but... I´ve been having a lot of fun just "cheating" the vessels to there, after a few simulated steps. A little role-playing: launch your vessel into Kerbin orbit, make the "plane-match" with Dawn System once you´ve reached Kerbol´s orbit, than burn until you pass beyond Eeloo´s orbit. Once you´re there, circularize and, only after your vessel have completed an entire orbit around Kerbol, cheat-orbit it to some axis very far around Dawn or any other.
That, in MY POINT OF VIEW, is one of the closest ways to simulate such a great TWB´s enterprise on stock parts.
And I´m pretty sure stock vessels behave very well once they´re there.

I hope the developers don´t mind I´ve posted it here, but I believe it´s a way to encourage people to try and have a lot a fun with such a beautiful mod, with no other mod-dependencies for those who don´t want them.
;-)

On 11/16/2018 at 6:48 PM, ProtoJeb21 said:

My computer had other ideas. The battery isn’t working right and now it’s too slow to run KSP with a ~1 GB planet pack. 

@ProtoJeb21

Excuse me, but have you tried only one or two of the smallest systems? The mod used to NOT run well in my notepad 8GB ram + 2GB NVidia) but, after the latter release, it has working fine with only core+Traverse+Well systems. It takes a while to load the game, yeah!, but it works. ;-)

Edited by Cataclism

A few quick questions for @TheProtagonists or anyone else in the know - and please forgive me if these have been asked before.

1. Does anyone know if problems are caused by adding TWB to a 1.5.1 career already in progress?  I'm just thinking that it might be nice to avoid the RAM and framerate hit until late career when I might actually be able to travel there.

2. Has anyone tried this with Sigma Dimensions?  My current career is 3.2x, FWIW.  I'm hoping that floating point errors won't bork up navigation.

3. It looks like planets are currently being moved around in preparation for the 1.2 version.  Would it generally be better to wait until 1.2 is ready, or would you advise I get going with 1.1.1 and attempt to upgrade later?  I'm mainly interested in Inner Dawn and Traverse.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light on this! :)

11 hours ago, Norcalplanner said:

1. Does anyone know if problems are caused by adding TWB to a 1.5.1 career already in progress?  I'm just thinking that it might be nice to avoid the RAM and framerate hit until late career when I might actually be able to travel there.

Adding any new celestial body into a existing save have the potential to cause problems. OnDemand loading is enabled for all textures so the RAM impact would not be that big. I don't believe TWB causes any sort of framrate drops, since the biggest FPS impact would likely come from scatterer.

11 hours ago, Norcalplanner said:

2. Has anyone tried this with Sigma Dimensions?  My current career is 3.2x, FWIW.  I'm hoping that floating point errors won't bork up navigation.

I have no idea how SD works with TWB... But it would be great if you can try it out and tell me if there are any problems.

12 hours ago, Norcalplanner said:

3. It looks like planets are currently being moved around in preparation for the 1.2 version.  Would it generally be better to wait until 1.2 is ready, or would you advise I get going with 1.1.1 and attempt to upgrade later?  I'm mainly interested in Inner Dawn and Traverse.

There would be quite some changes to Dawn and Traverse in 1.2, but I don't think it will be finished anytime soon (at the very least 2 months from now), so you can go ahead with 1.1.1. Regardless though, I would strongly advice a new save every time the celestial bodies are rearranged, but for now, everything should be good.

24 minutes ago, TheProtagonists said:

Adding any new celestial body into a existing save have the potential to cause problems. OnDemand loading is enabled for all textures so the RAM impact would not be that big. I don't believe TWB causes any sort of framrate drops, since the biggest FPS impact would likely come from scatterer.

I have no idea how SD works with TWB... But it would be great if you can try it out and tell me if there are any problems.

There would be quite some changes to Dawn and Traverse in 1.2, but I don't think it will be finished anytime soon (at the very least 2 months from now), so you can go ahead with 1.1.1. Regardless though, I would strongly advice a new save every time the celestial bodies are rearranged, but for now, everything should be good.

Thanks for the insight. I'm still pretty early in this career, so it's feasible to pull everyone back to the GSC (home system is GPP/GEP) and sacrifice/delete existing craft as needed before adding TWB. And I'll let you know how things work with SD. :-)

If anyone is interested, I´ve just created a thread on the MOD´s discussion session, showing my first experiences on Traverse system. No, IT IS NOT a review, in any way, but a chance to show a little more of this to other people, especially like me, who didn´t even knew about it a few weeks ago.

I would love to give this mod a try but ... apparently, 16 GB of RAM is not enough to handle the full planet pack (along the other mods I use) :(. I got OOM error at game loading on TheWorldBeyond/TWB_EonSystem/Textures/PluginData/Everest_Height.png

5 hours ago, Gurki said:

I would love to give this mod a try but ... apparently, 16 GB of RAM is not enough to handle the full planet pack (along the other mods I use) :(. I got OOM error at game loading on TheWorldBeyond/TWB_EonSystem/Textures/PluginData/Everest_Height.png

Are you running on 64 bit? Because I also have 16 GB RAM and I'm able run TWB with all of the visuals, plus many other major planet packs and their visuals plus multiple large part mods, so it should be possible with 16 GB.

2 minutes ago, TheProtagonists said:

Are you running on 64 bit? Because I also have 16 GB RAM and I'm able run TWB with all of the visuals, plus many other major planet packs and their visuals plus multiple large part mods, so it should be possible with 16 GB.

Yep sir. I manage to land on the MainMenu by removing DistantObjectEnhancement. I don't know what is DOE distance threshold for body visibility but this led to OD loading all planetary textures :(

Anyway, this work much better now :)

Now, time to enjoy sun's inclination at 'The Answer' and burn every single unit of fuel I can bring :)

Hello!
Two small details that I´ve noticed yesterday:

1.)It seems to exist a small issue regarding "Perry", the moon (Traverse System -> Shima -> Young - > Perry).
It works perfectly for fly by, orbit, science, etc. But it does NOT appear on the S.C.A.N. sat celestial bodies map´s list. I mean, I can study it using the altimeter scans, but the moon does not exist to chose on the SCAN sat list. It´s the only "moon of a moon" that I´ve visited so far, so I cannot say if there is the same problem on any others. I´ve deleted and reinstalled both SCANsat and TWB, but the same still occurs. It´s not such a a big deal, anyway. I´ll post the screen for my mods folder bellow.

2.)This one is probably due to my low-set configuration in the graphics options, still.... I´ve installed the enhanced visuals pack; It works all right on EVE, but when using Scatter, there is a very dense fog around Traverse´s celestial bodies´ atmosphere. Once landed, the sky almost disappears and get all white. My setup is for only 2x antialiasing and half-quality res textures, but still works fine on stock planets. Not in the playing computer now, so I´ll apply to get a screenshot later, as soon as I reinstall Scatterer.

kspData.jpg

2 hours ago, Cataclism said:

1.)It seems to exist a small issue regarding "Perry", the moon (Traverse System -> Shima -> Young - > Perry).
It works perfectly for fly by, orbit, science, etc. But it does NOT appear on the S.C.A.N. sat celestial bodies map´s list. I mean, I can study it using the altimeter scans, but the moon does not exist to chose on the SCAN sat list. It´s the only "moon of a moon" that I´ve visited so far, so I cannot say if there is the same problem on any others. I´ve deleted and reinstalled both SCANsat and TWB, but the same still occurs. It´s not such a a big deal, anyway. I´ll post the screen for my mods folder bellow.

I have no idea about this problem... I will look into it.

2 hours ago, Cataclism said:

2.)This one is probably due to my low-set configuration in the graphics options, still.... I´ve installed the enhanced visuals pack; It works all right on EVE, but when using Scatter, there is a very dense fog around Traverse´s celestial bodies´ atmosphere. Once landed, the sky almost disappears and get all white. My setup is for only 2x antialiasing and half-quality res textures, but still works fine on stock planets. Not in the playing computer now, so I´ll apply to get a screenshot later, as soon as I reinstall Scatterer.

The visuals need both EVE and scatterer installed at the same time to work properly. So if you only tried with EVE only or scatterer only, there are almost certainly going to be problems.

@TheProtagonists Just a quick note to say that Sigma Dimensions doesn't appear to affect the location of the Dawn system.  This screenshot is with a 3.2x rescale applied:

ICPIC5a.png

I may still be OK, depending on how large the SOI of the Dawn system is.  If I've done my calculations correctly (and I'm not sure that I have), then Grannus has a SOI in 3.2x with a radius of 1.6e+12m, and should be at an altitude no higher than 5e+12m when near the Dawn cluster.  So as long as the radius of Dawn's SOI is 5.4e+12m or smaller, then we should be OK.

Is Dawn supposed to have the orbital velocity shown in the screenshot?  Just trying to figure out how far from normal this setup is...

16 hours ago, Norcalplanner said:

I may still be OK, depending on how large the SOI of the Dawn system is.  If I've done my calculations correctly (and I'm not sure that I have), then Grannus has a SOI in 3.2x with a radius of 1.6e+12m, and should be at an altitude no higher than 5e+12m when near the Dawn cluster.  So as long as the radius of Dawn's SOI is 5.4e+12m or smaller, then we should be OK.

I am not completely certain what would happen with rescale, but with TWB 1.1.1 under the newest Kopernicus version, Dawn should be (almost) completely stationary, as in that it should not move.

2 hours ago, Eaten by Black Hole said:

Is it possible to get Kerbol into the cluster?

Does 12 gb ram is enough for Traverse system?

No.

Yes it should.

1 minute ago, TheProtagonists said:

I am not completely certain what would happen with rescale, but with TWB 1.1.1 under the newest Kopernicus version, Dawn should be (almost) completely stationary, as in that it should not move.

Thanks for the reply. I've removed TWB for the moment and reverted to a backup save. I'm still excited about exploring all the new worlds, so I'll figure out something later in my career to make it happen. And maybe IC will be sorted out by then... ;-)

Thank you, @TheProtagonists , for the visuals tip. I´ve missed that call, now I got it! (I hadn´t installed any kind of visual enhancements before)

Regarding to the SCANsat map issue, I was about to write it down to its developers, ´cause maybe the mod didn´t support more than three tiers (let´s say -> star-> planet-> moon). But then I´ve realized that the map Overlay (on the 'M' map view) DOES work on TWB, but not on the SCANsat map.

Oh, by the way, it also happened on the other "4-tier-or-more" moons, like Parallel+Tack (at Overture-> Collide), Ori+Ranco+Mabel (at Sora-> Rin). Those are the only I´ve had time to explore so far.

Thank you for your time. (y)

4 hours ago, Eaten by Black Hole said:

Does 12 gb ram is enough for Traverse system?

Hello, @Eaten by Black Hole
I´ve been playing on a notepad with 8GB-RAM + 2GB on 3D, and Traverse System runs quite all right! I just panicked the first time, ´cause the loading use to take more than six or seven minutes, and a little long black "loading" screen before the main menu, but it runs fine!

Edited by Cataclism

I´ll play a little bit on the configuration screen, maybe I´m missing (or messing!) something and haven´t noticed. I bring the screenshots, maybe someone has got it already.
After reinstalling Scatterer and EVE.... the Kerbol system´s planets work fine. But the atmosphere on Traverse bodies comes in almost 90% opacity, I believe. And it´s all-white from the surface.  As I see, the config files are all loaded correctly.

Again, not a real problem, in fact.

screenshot0.png screenshot1.png screenshot2.png screenshot3.png

By the way, in the near future, if you think is a good time to get the finished version to other languages, count me in for brazilian-portuguese. ;-) (y)

Edited by Cataclism