Doomed to failure

I get a contract to recover Derigh Kerman and craft from the surface of Moho. It would be nice to see what I'm dealing with - like what do I have to build to get Derigh's craft out of there - so I send a light lander down to have a look and maybe bring Derigh back to the station. Turns out they're on the side of a steep hill. My lander is forced to take off again and land somewhere flatter about 300m away. The craft is a two-kerbal capsule but when I switch to either it or Derigh, the capsule starts rolling away down the hill. When it hits about 14m/s, it explodes and I take a 6% hit to my reputation.

That's um, not fair. How to stop this happening? Go in blind?

Edited by mystifeid

Because the contract locations are randomly generated there is always a possibility that they will occur in poor locations like that.

Since it really isn't possible to complete it fairly I would suggest that you enable the "no crash damage" option in the ALT-F12 cheat menu before you come into range of the capsule you are rescuing. It should then be able to fall down the hill and come to rest without being destroyed. Then you can at least transfer the stranded Kerbal to your rescue ship and make plans for a salvage operation in the future.

Be aware that sometimes high velocity impacts with the ground can cause strange glitches with the cheat enabled, possibly even ejecting the capsule from the planet. Make sure you do a quicksave before entering range of the capsule so that you can always come back and try again.

32 minutes ago, HvP said:

Since it really isn't possible to complete it fairly I would suggest that you enable the "no crash damage" option in the ALT-F12 cheat menu

It's good advice but I'd prefer not to have to do that. I've written that one off and have decided in future to only inspect during daylight and to try and hover nearby.

Get within load distance of the craft, then quickly get Derigh out on EVA. Then land your lander somewhere safer. Then Derigh can run over to the landing site. Kerbals have been known to survive reentry followed by impact at 50 m/s, so he should be OK.

Unless the contract is to recover him and his spacecraft. In that case, disregard this.

EDIT: What kind of pod is your rescuee in?

Edited by RealKerbal3x

53 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Unless the contract is to recover him and his spacecraft.

Yes, it is, unfortunately.

54 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

EDIT: What kind of pod is your rescuee in?

He is standing on the ground next to a two-kerbal capsule.

I wouldn't mind so much but I'm playing with hard difficulty reward levels and a 1% rep hit is a decent spanking. Freaking 6% !! And that capsule had been sitting there for how long? But I come by with a physics engine in tow and it self-destructs. Not fair I tell ya.

48 minutes ago, mystifeid said:

Yes, it is, unfortunately.

He is standing on the ground next to a two-kerbal capsule.

I wouldn't mind so much but I'm playing with hard difficulty reward levels and a 1% rep hit is a decent spanking. Freaking 6% !! And that capsule had been sitting there for how long? But I come by with a physics engine in tow and it self-destructs. Not fair I tell ya.

I looked on the wiki and the Mk2 Command Pod (the Gemini-looking one) has a 14m/s impact tolerance. I haven't played career much but sometimes it can throw a contract that's not fair at you. Sometimes if you're using a mod which has pods with no hatches in it, the game will strand a kerbal in one of those pods. That is really annoying infuriating.

Sorry, not sure how to fix this other than using the cheat menu like what @HvP said.

Just spitballing here, I haven’t tried anything like this: can it be snagged with a KIS/KAS harpoon, grappling hook, or electromagnet, attaches to a winch? Not sure if there is a weight/mass limit involved there

Or land a squat (hill-stable) lander downhill from it, so the lander blocks it from rolling too far? With a Klaw facing it so it rolls right into your grasp? Hmm, that would be unbalanced. If you can block it with the lander, two kerbals should be able to KAS it to the top of your lander

Edited by StrandedonEarth

2 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Or land a squat (hill-stable) lander downhill from it, so the lander blocks it from rolling too far? With a Klaw facing it so it rolls right into your grasp? Hmm, that would be unbalanced. If you can block it with the lander, two kerbals should be able to KAS it to the top of your lander

Yeah, I was thinking of charging in with a rover that had a klaw on the front and using that to get it somewhere flat. If I can do that, the rest is pretty easy. That'll have to be next time though.

Here's how we do it on Gilly (and nothing broke). Herbrett and pod are now on their way back to Kerbin.

S6Ma9at.png

On 5/29/2018 at 1:56 AM, mystifeid said:

It's good advice but I'd prefer not to have to do that.

I've had a part I needed to grapple fall straight through the mun.  Nothing to do but cancel and take the hit.  You can't win them all.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.