Extreme Takeoff Challenge

So.... This is a very rough idea. Depending on the interest, i may decide to make a proper post.

The idea is simple.

Three categories based on mass of plane. (100 ton, 200 ton, 300+ ton)

The goal is to take off in the shortest possible time.

Time starts when you stage.

Time ends when you leave the runway the last time. (stalling and bouncing on runway doesn't count)

Formula of score will be --> end mass * time / start mass

15.5 seconds. This was submitted in KSP Regional Jet challenge, but it works well here. Mass is 553.5 tons.

u5tjBBl.png

Download:

https://kerbalx.com/BristolBrick/Skots-VIII-Squirrel

Not sure of the scoring, but by the way Andetch, this is the plane that lagged my PC so much I did not know for a long time how easily it spins.

I got 292T with 14 secs on mission timer. Probably realistically nearer 10 secs as rules states time from staging, and to moment the wheels lift, and the image is delayed slightly. The pics for evidence can be seen in the kerbalx page. Probably going to do it properly with this, adding an extra bit of weight to break 300T and time it properly.

https://kerbalx.com/Andetch/ADXL-Mister-Tiddles

2 minutes ago, CrazyJebGuy said:

Not sure of the scoring, but by the way Andetch, this is the plane that lagged my PC so much I did not know for a long time how easily it spins.

Speaking of lag, I recently put an SSD into my years old laptop (3rd or 4th gen i3) and it has really helped clear up lag issues. Oh, and scrap windows for Ubuntu :D

1 hour ago, Andetch said:

Speaking of lag, I recently put an SSD into my years old laptop (3rd or 4th gen i3) and it has really helped clear up lag issues. Oh, and scrap windows for Ubuntu :D

I will do the second thing, once I can no longer use Windows 7. I tried 10, seems utter rubbish to me, kicker is that it spies so much.

33 minutes ago, CrazyJebGuy said:

I will do the second thing, once I can no longer use Windows 7. I tried 10, seems utter rubbish to me, kicker is that it spies so much.

Windows 10 is designed to kill older devices. I was working for Toshiba in their laptop sales last year and interestingly, most the new hardware like the kabylake generation of processors are not backwards compatible. A lot of the new ancillary products like docking ports etc also won;t work unless you have W10 and the latest generation chipsets etc. Toshiba were different in that they were keeping the legacy compatibility where they could. Now I saw quite a few people accept the "free" W10 upgrade from W8 and it promptly killed their older machines, when I say killed I mean made such poor use of the available CPU and memory that it slowed them down to the point they became unusable. My mother even bought a brand new, entry-level spec machine that came with W10 pre-loaded and it is so slow it is pretty much unusable for most things. 
Thing is, I have W10 on one of my laptops, and when i got it I asked for the cheapest laptop possible, the CPU is a Celeron, but I have upped the RAM from 2GB to 4GB and fitted a SSD and it runs super quick! So, now to make this post relevant to the thread so admin don't remove it..... 

Above is my (going a the really long way around) guide to flying the Skotts VIII on Crazy Jeb Guy's laptop without lag.  Ubuntu + SSD + double the RAM using some rescued sticks pulled out a machine that someone threw away after "upgrading" to W10 (and I mean I literally took the laptop out of a refuse bin, took the RAM and some other bits I fancied, and then put it back!).  

Edited by Andetch

1 minute ago, Andetch said:

Windows 10 is designed to kill older devices. I was working for Toshiba in their laptop sales last year and interestingly, most the new hardware like the kabylake generation of processors are not backwards compatible. A lot of the new ancillary products like docking ports etc also won;t work unless you have W10 and the latest generation chipsets etc. Toshiba were different in that they were keeping the legacy compatibility where they could. Now I saw quite a few people accept the "free" W10 upgrade from W8 and it promptly killed their older machines, when I say killed I mean made such poor use of the available CPU and memory that it slowed them down to the point they became unusable. My mother even bought a brand new, entry-level spec machine that came with W10 pre-loaded and it is so slow it is pretty much unusable for most things. 
Thing is, I have W10 on one of my laptops, and when i got it I asked for the cheapest laptop possible, the CPU is a Celeron, but I have upped the RAM from 2GB to 4GB and fitted a SSD and it runs super quick! So, now to make this post relevant to the thread so admin don't remove it..... 

Above is my (going a the really long way around) guide to flying the Skotts VIII on Crazy Jeb Guy's laptop without lag.  Ubuntu + SSD.  

I have differing reasons for my hatred of 10, my computer is plenty powerful enough to run it, I just dislike it. It tries to make things easier, so dumbs some things down and makes basic things hard, but it also adds some really un-needed complexity (A setting 'app' and a control panel, the start button has different shutdown/logout/etc buttons depending if you right click it or act like a normal person. The UI in general (This is subjective though) looks very ugly, and it looks as if no effort was put in whatsoever, like I did it in microsoft paint. I also don't like that it takes up so much more disk space, Pro is ~16.5gb, win 7 ultimate (largest version) is about 8gb. (Probably - I may remember incorrectly) Another complaint is the adds and forced updates, I had pro so I could delay updates, but they still put adverts on Minesweeper for goodness sakes. That and you can't roll-back updates, which I need to do from time to time on 7 because it breaks some old program or something.

My main hatred of W10 stems from the 1990's...... It is derived from an ingrained dis-trust and hatred of all things Microsoft from the way they they went so far out of their way to kill cross compatibility, and force you to have to pay for MS everything even though for the most part  there was a better, open source alternative. 

8 hours ago, MarvinKitFox said:

0.000001 seconds

my twin-mammoth-powered "scout" plane does not believe in grabbity.

Is your scout plane over 100 tons? Impressive it is.

8 hours ago, CrazyJebGuy said:

May I suggest making rules of only jet engines and rolling takeoffs, with wings?

Definitely in favor of rolling takeoffs and wings. (no vtols)

Interested in making non-ject engines have a penalty but not ruling them out.

8 hours ago, CrazyJebGuy said:

15.5 seconds. This was submitted in KSP Regional Jet challenge, but it works well here. Mass is 553.5 tons.

u5tjBBl.png

Download:

https://kerbalx.com/BristolBrick/Skots-VIII-Squirrel

Interesting design, but I think you could probably make something better for this type of competition since you won't have to use crew cabins.

8 hours ago, Andetch said:

I got 292T with 14 secs on mission timer. Probably realistically nearer 10 secs as rules states time from staging, and to moment the wheels lift, and the image is delayed slightly. The pics for evidence can be seen in the kerbalx page. Probably going to do it properly with this, adding an extra bit of weight to break 300T and time it properly.

https://kerbalx.com/Andetch/ADXL-Mister-Tiddles

I'm interested in how you keep it from yawing out of control from body lift.

As for the windows 10 discussion, lets try to keep the thread on-topic. Either way, we all know vista is way worse. 

2 hours ago, macktruck6666 said:

As for the windows 10 discussion, lets try to keep the thread on-topic. Either way, we all know vista is way worse. 

No, I have used Vista a bit and it is better than 10. It's bad reputation comes largely from it breaking older programs, and having very high system requirements for the time. 7 is basically Vista with some bells and whistles taken off to save disk space, and with some backward compatibility fixes. If we're going to talk UI though, Vista's is actually pretty, and is more sensibly designed, compare to 10's UI and Vista is glorious in comparison.

Back on topic though I don't think I could get a better design by swapping out the passenger cabins for something heavier, since then it would take longer to takeoff, and I think ~550 tons is a good starting post for a thread like this.

12 hours ago, macktruck6666 said:

I'm interested in how you keep it from yawing out of control from body lift.

RE - W10, Sorry - Got carried away I know. But look on the bright side, now your thread has loads of posts to sucker in new takers ;)

RE Yaw Control - It has very powerful yaw stability from the tail fins. Give her a fly, you will be pleasantly surprised how nimble she is for a big girl at low altitudes. Above the 10km - 15km mark there isn't enough air for the control surfaces to react with though. Also, above mach 3 it tends to want to keep going in the same direction. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.