KSP Challenge: Stylish Decay!

da7chOT-3crn-fYkcb0SRKFwAx6C5FHcag3FFRFB

Hello everyone,

We are back and ready to have new and fun challenges. This week we have another theme for you: “Stylish Decay! "

Challenge:
From a stable orbit (Kerbin), make a Kerbal go on EVA. Deorbit the Kerbal and safely return him to the surface without having him enter back into a craft! Share your screenshots, videos or images.

Rewards:
We will have a official badge for this challenge!

Rules:

• No debug menu

• Stock parts only

• No MechJeb

We want you to have fun and share it with the whole community!

Do I post what I've done on this thread or do I start my own and upload the results there? Sorry I've never done any of these challenges before and I don't want to accidentally junk up this page.

Edited by HerobrineLiu
Redundancy

9 hours ago, steuben said:

So no sitting him/her in a command seat bolted to the back of an aero shield?

I assume not....

I don't see any reason we can try to find other ways of circumventing the system though....

Edited by qzgy

The scenario is more familiar than I like to admit. I accept a contract to rescue a Kerbal from LKO and send up a drone to fetch him, only to discover that Jeb has smuggled himself into the capsule again. Usually that means back to square one but since we've got those neat parachutes now I had to try:

Spoiler

Qu20Ud6.png

Je8tVdN.png

So, yes,  I kicked him out and had him deorbit on EVA. Maybe that'll teach him. Reentry had to be pretty steep to avoid prolonged heating. I still got some creepy views of his insides though.

Spoiler

g8tgGti.png

cnTVgql.png

The actual landing was easier than expected, a 180° turn over the VAB and a little flare bled off any excess speed. However, Jeb spent the night outside: all doors on the roof were locked and he can't repack his chute. :sticktongue:

Here is my entry:D:

No fancy music or editing, just the important things;)

At 120% entry heat

Was really hard to get Jeb not exploding all the time, that's why I needed to slow him down enough ( shielding by a heatshield or bay doesn't work:P)

Edited by Nightfury
spelling ...

47 minutes ago, Foxster said:

So, not even Squad staff have an interest in setting challenges via Mission Builder?

I guess they do it this way too, for the people who don't have MH / Mission Builder.

It's fun nevertheless

Edited by Nightfury

My first successful attempt:

Spoiler

Launching from Kerbin

screenshot4.png

Moar ascent

screenshot5.png

Beginning to establish orbit

screenshot6.png

In orbit

screenshot7.png

Jeb gets out of the ship

screenshot8.png

As it turned out, I didn't actually need that upper stage... or half of the first stage :P

Jeb deorbiting

screenshot9.png

Jeb as he enters the upper atmosphere

screenshot10.png

Jeb's trajectory after burning all of his EVA fuel

screenshot12.png

Getting a little toasty

screenshot13.png

Jeb after slowing down to the point where he's no longer extremely warm

screenshot15.png

Jeb at partial parachute deploy

screenshot16.png

Full parachute deploy

screenshot17.png

Gliding in to land

screenshot22.png

Jeb landed

screenshot24.png

All in all, a rather fun challenge! I think Jeb enjoyed it as well....

Edited by Mrcarrot

So I don't know if my submission is invalidated because of my use of the Klaw, but I'm gonna submit it anyway and hope it is valid. :P

please note that I'm new to the forums and I had no idea what "album code" meant so I put the whole link in. Thanks and have a great day everyone!
https://imgur.com/a/PRZTk8I
I couldn't get the imgur link to work so I just posted it.
Edited by HerobrineLiu

7 hours ago, HerobrineLiu said:

So I don't know if my submission is invalidated because of my use of the Klaw, but I'm gonna submit it anyway and hope it is valid. :P

please note that I'm new to the forums and I had no idea what "album code" meant so I put the whole link in. Thanks and have a great day everyone!
https://imgur.com/a/PRZTk8I
I couldn't get the imgur link to work so I just posted it.

The album code is the set of characters after the /a/, in your case it was PRZTk8l

19 hours ago, Foxster said:

So, not even Squad staff have an interest in setting challenges via Mission Builder?

One would think they would be doing these as missions to hype and advertise the Mission Builder so as to push Making History sales.  That being said, they probably realized what players have; that its far easier to type out your wild challenge idea in text on a forum than it is to spend hours fighting the broken Mission Builder nodes to create a functional mission out of it.

21 hours ago, Foxster said:

Actually, they're doing both. 

We got both a new challenge and a new mission this week.

8 hours ago, klesh said:

One would think they would be doing these as missions to hype and advertise the Mission Builder so as to push Making History sales.  That being said, they probably realized what players have; that its far easier to type out your wild challenge idea in text on a forum than it is to spend hours fighting the broken Mission Builder nodes to create a functional mission out of it.

Or...

Maybe as developers, they spend enough time coding KSP every day that they might be less enthused to be playing it, even if they were being paid to do so.  It might be hard to keep the creative bug if you're doing it every day.

On the other hand, just because they are KSP devs, doesn't mean they are good at playing KSP, whether it be bulding rockets or missions.  This isn't a dig on any of them, I just remember way back when one of the former producers ,Maxmaps, would stream KSP every Friday on Twitch.  There would always be a bunch of KSP players furiously typing away in chat trying to help him do this or that, or tell him to stop forgetting parachutes, as he flipped the rocket in a 360 spin after launch.  He definitely wasn't the most proficient builder or pilot in KSP.

(Full disclosure: I wish I could get paid to play KSP, I probably put in 8 hours just today...but I'm on vacation)

This looks fun!!!! I'll have to try this after I'm done building my space station.

16 hours ago, Darth Badie said:

Yes, we are planning challenges for Making History expansion 

Doing challenges through the Mission Builder would be fun, but one of the problems is that many people may not have the DLC and so would be miss out.

But I guess if the challenge is 'Rendezvous with a space station' then the Mission Builder would be useful as it means everyone would have to rendezvous with the same thing in the same orbit.

On 5/31/2018 at 4:00 AM, Nightfury said:

Here is my entry:D:

No fancy music or editing, just the important things;)

Was really hard to get Jeb not exploding all the time, that's why I needed to slow him down enough ( shielding by a heatshield or bay doesn't work:P)

A man after my own heart - 4 of my core mods: clouds (through EVE or SVE or Spectra), KER, and both the “-atterers”